Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about this clip from The Wire on the War on Drugs and policing?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about this clip from The Wire on the War on Drugs and policing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5za4VsskM

What's missing from this clip is the fact that society has changed over the years since the beat cop. The family unit has broken down. What used to be handled by fathers has fallen to the police. The police can only use the tools they are given. To expect them to become a replacement for that is naive to say the least. If my father ever caught me wrong he made sure I regretted it. If a neighbor came to him with a complaint about me I got a punishment equal to the amount of embarrassment I caused him. He further assured me that if I had a negative interaction with the police I certainly would find whatever action they took as nothing compared to what he was gonna do. This was SOP for dads in Brooklyn NY. All my friends had the same rules. No one ever threatened to call the police, they threatened to call your father. you'll never replace that. The Commanding officer in the clip conveniently leaves that out.

Comment

Teachers and cops can’t replace absent or indifferent parents.

police used to be the last resort, not we get called because kids won’t get up for school.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
        Teachers and cops can’t replace absent or indifferent parents.

police used to be the last resort, not we get called because kids won’t get up for school.
        Had calls like that. I told the "parent" it was their problem to solve and left.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post

Had calls like that. I told the "parent" it was their problem to solve and left.
          Had a sergeant, since terminated for shenanigans, who got such a call.... and went in, woke the kids up and took them to school. She ended up going to that house at least once per week to do that.

As an SRO I sit in on parent-teacher conferences where the kid has poor grades, and the parent wants to know what the teacher is doing wrong.

The kid is truant, and the parent wants to know why I’m not making him attend class.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

Had a sergeant, since terminated for shenanigans, who got such a call.... and went in, woke the kids up and took them to school. She ended up going to that house at least once per week to do that.

As an SRO I sit in on parent-teacher conferences where the kid has poor grades, and the parent wants to know what the teacher is doing wrong.

The kid is truant, and the parent wants to know why I’m not making him attend class.
            That one I had never called again to wake her little 8 year old up.

Had some other unruly juvenile calls at another place. Then one time the Grandma called the Aunt too. The Aunt got there soon after us, walked into the juvenile's bedroom and gave him an ear full. Next thing I heard was her asking him why the police were there again, a smart @ss response and a slapping sound! Sarge and I looked at each other, grinned and walked out.

That Aunt got in a domestic some time after that. I had to charge her with a FV charge initially. But I spoke to the prosecutor for her and got it lowered to a disorderly conduct charge. The lady appreciated that and some time later helped me solve a burglary and recover all the property. In the process it also helped clear up another unsolved burglary.
            ​​​​​
            ​​

Comment

A lot of people nowadays don't seem to realize that the word "parent" is a verb.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4604 users online. 333 members and 4271 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X