Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 37 too old to start off as a police officer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 37 too old to start off as a police officer?

I have heard that the benefits are good and for a south Asian guy I would be a considered a good candidate because I have a completely clean record and they are looking for minorities because of the current anti LE culture that is promoted by the media.

Originally posted by mr7eleven View Post
    I have heard that the benefits are good and for a south Asian guy I would be a considered a good candidate because I have a completely clean record and they are looking for minorities because of the current anti LE culture that is promoted by the media.
    What does being a minority have to do with "anti LE culture"?

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

What does being a minority have to do with "anti LE culture"?
      Supposedly the departments are focusing on hiring more minorities. Plus for me.

Comment

Supposedly the departments are focusing on hiring more minorities. Plus for me.
        Departments have diversity goals, and that is nothing new.

But what exactly does that have to do with addressing "anti LE culture"?

Comment

This is what you said, in case you're having trouble remembering:

...they are looking for minorities because of the current anti LE culture...
          ...and I'm still waiting for an answer...
          Last edited by Aidokea; 07-07-2020, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Speaking strictly on the age question, I would say no, 37 is not too old. Many people retire out of the military near 40 and enter LE. Some places do have age restrictions, but mainly that is for federal and some state LE jobs.

I think this would mainly be a personal issue, such as : can you take orders (outside of the academy) from someone with less life experience (ie younger than you) and but much more experienced in the job ? We are talking about being in your 30's here, not your 60's, so it shouldnt be TOO much to keep up with 20 somethings. There is a good mix of patrol officers ranging from their 20s, 30s, and 40s all working together, so that would not be an uncommon sight in my experience.
            John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

37 is not out of the question. As to the question about minority status, if you become a cop you will be joining the ultimate minority group and learn more about prejudice than you really want to deal with.

Comment

...for a south Asian guy I would be a considered a good candidate because...they are looking for minorities because of the current anti LE culture...
                Bueller?...Bueller?...

Comment

• 1RidgeRunner7
                  1RidgeRunner7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What the man/woman means is that we haven’t been hated this much since Freddy Grey.

For the sake of making those people love us again, dept will hire officers that represent them. In other words hire people that look like the neighborhood they police.

The OP means well. Just asking for advice. Come on man.

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're making numerous assumptions there.

He said nothing to indicate that his racial comment had anything to do with diversity goals. I'd like him to clarify.

• Iowa #1603
                  Iowa #1603 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "For the sake of making those people love us again, dept will hire officers that represent them. In other words hire people that look like the neighborhood they police. "

Ahem.......................WRONG

Look at the makeup of the 4 officers involved in the Minneapolis situation...................3 of them are MINORITIES........only thing missiing is a black person and/or a female

Many black officers are being (and have been----for decades ) called Uncle Tom

I started in my mid-30s and now have over 20 years in.

It can be done, if you're motivated.

Comment

I started at 34. The oldest recruit in my academy was 46 with another recruit being 38. 37 is not old but expect to get out performed PT wise from the younger cats

Comment

• Calitown
                    Calitown commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Absolutely...Ain't that the truth.

Whether it's "too old" depends on state law and department hiring practices. Where I'm from, max age for hiring under civil service law is 35, though cities can change that through their own civil service ordinances.

The bigger question is, do you want to be humping a patrol car, dealing with drunks and domestics, in your late 50's-60's? There's nothing that says you'll automatically be riding a desk later in your career and most LE retirement is 20-30 years of service (again, depending on your state and retirement system).
                  "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

In 2016 you were saying that cops should make $200K + because of the stuff they have to deal with. Did you find a department that will pay you that? With overtime sure but just as a line officer I'm not sure that agency exists right now. Where I live I see the top at about $175K a year. And guess what, they are always hiring. It isn't just about the money.

Comment

Originally posted by 9L81 View Post
                      In 2016 you were saying that cops should make $200K + because of the stuff they have to deal with. Did you find a department that will pay you that? With overtime sure but just as a line officer I'm not sure that agency exists right now. Where I live I see the top at about $175K a year. And guess what, they are always hiring. It isn't just about the money.
                      What's your cost of living where you're at? Because the idea of making $175-200K as a LEO in most of the country is about as realistic as a Dr. Seuss story. In my area, the average for LE is probably $50-75K.
                      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Age requirements are going to be state and agency specific so, you will be too old for some places, but fine for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

What's your cost of living where you're at? Because the idea of making $175-200K as a LEO in most of the country is about as realistic as a Dr. Seuss story. In my area, the average for LE is probably $50-75K.
                          I know officers that have made $175K, but they had many years on, and therefore many tenure-based step raises, and they also actively pursued overtime. I have made $120K without pursuing overtime, by just agreeing to cover extra shifts here and there when asked (or ordered).

Our plan has always been to make the money where the pay is higher, and then retire someplace where the cost of living is lower, to make my pension go further...
                          Last edited by Aidokea; 07-08-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3698 users online. 246 members and 3452 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X