• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlying
    replied
    OC effct

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
    I couldn't disagree with you more about your OC training experience. On some people it works very well and others it's less effective. This is a very important point, that your training experience should emphasize. OC, like any defensive tactic or device can vary on it's level of effectiveness. In your case, it apparently didn't have a very significant effect and if you were a drunk, high or crazed suspect, your ability to resist arrest and/or harm an officer might be greater than someone else. Recognizing the variations in how effective this and other defensive tools work is something we need to reinforce in training and remember when we're working the street.
    Yes, that's why I carry a taser now :-) Plus, on our use of force continuum, the taser is actually *below* OC.

Leave a comment:

• luckydog
    replied
    We had to run at the instructor with a knife as he sprayed us. Then we has to run to different stations and do knee strikes, ect. The last station you came to another instructor would hold up a knife, gun, or anything and you had to yell out what it was. Then you could go get 10 seconds of water and off you went to sit in the grass for a while.

I recently went out and watched a crorrections class get sprayed. The instructor had everything set up the same as when I did it, but he did not make them run at him with the knife. He would just spray a quick line across their forehead with the eyes closed and off they went. A lot of them thought that they were tough and would decline the water at the end but a few minutes later they would hit the ground screaming for the water.

Leave a comment:

• tn_gunslinger
    replied
    My experience:

Partner up. One of you sprays the other. You stand about 7 ft apart. You say your department name and your name. Sometime while you're doing that, your partner sprays you. Then you must wait until the redshirt (instructor) tells you to "go" and you run to another student holding a bag. Work that bag til you are told to move to the other one (about 10 feet to the right of the first). Work it until the redshirt tells you either to draw your redgun and aim it at him or radio in your position and say you've been sprayed. In either case you must open your eyes (even if it's with your hands) and show him both eyeballs.

Then, your partner leads you over to the water barrel, hose, and johnson's baby shampoo (no more tears ). You rinse repeatedly, blow snot out your nose for 30 minutes, finally open your eyes, feel your face burn for a while. Then you spray your partner.

One tip, be sure to take a nice, long, cool shower, and LEAN FORWARD IN THE SHOWER!!!!! so that the crystals from the spray flow out of your pores on your face and down the drain, NOT DOWN YOUR BODY!! OUCH!

Leave a comment:

• Badkharma
    replied
    I have a question to add on to this: have any of you had LASIK and if so, were there any additional effects? I wouldn't think so since by the time you'd take the OC hit your eye would be completely healed, but I'm still curious...

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    A Dangerous Attitude

Originally posted by Outlying View Post
    The OC is no big deal. When I got sprayed we had to do baton strikes, handcuff a suspect, and identify what someone was holding in their hand. My biggest mistake was that before the OC day I ordered some of this OC-neutralizing solution. After all was said and done, I poured that stuff all over my face, in my eyes, etc. Well, it seems that stuff has a sugar base or something. For days afterward, I was picking crystals out of my eyes - long after the OC effects had left. Baby Shampoo - that's the ticket. But like I said, it's no big deal - I'd do it again in a minute
    I couldn't disagree with you more about your OC training experience. On some people it works very well and others it's less effective. This is a very important point, that your training experience should emphasize. OC, like any defensive tactic or device can vary on it's level of effectiveness. In your case, it apparently didn't have a very significant effect and if you were a drunk, high or crazed suspect, your ability to resist arrest and/or harm an officer might be greater than someone else. Recognizing the variations in how effective this and other defensive tools work is something we need to reinforce in training and remember when we're working the street.

Leave a comment:

• Outlying
    replied
    OC in Academy

The OC is no big deal. When I got sprayed we had to do baton strikes, handcuff a suspect, and identify what someone was holding in their hand. My biggest mistake was that before the OC day I ordered some of this OC-neutralizing solution. After all was said and done, I poured that stuff all over my face, in my eyes, etc. Well, it seems that stuff has a sugar base or something. For days afterward, I was picking crystals out of my eyes - long after the OC effects had left. Baby Shampoo - that's the ticket. But like I said, it's no big deal - I'd do it again in a minute

Leave a comment:

• misterizx
    replied
    You might have to go through different stations and do various task. I think what you are probably interested in is the effects and are probably stressing over it. We had the only girl in our academy go first. She took it just fine so we all had to man up. Just remember hundreds have people have gone through it. I wouldnt even think about it until the day arrives. Truthfully it burnt some, I was somewhat blinded ( very blurry vision), and I had no problem at all breathing.

Take the spray, do what is required by the instructors. You will get to wash out your eyes with water and if possible use baby shampoo. Get out of the water as soon as possible and let your eyes air dry. Water reactivates the burn, so as soon as possible air dry and in about 15 minutes its decent vision and barely any heat. No big deal.

Leave a comment:

• Mejo83
    replied
    Yea, we had the chance to take them out, but dont plan on putting them in for about 12 hours or so. Bring eye glasses. Its not bad man. I was more scared of the taser, I didnt want to be "that guy," who drops a deuce, or takes a leak in their pants. Thats what I was worried about! If I were given the option of Taser or OC, I think I would go for a baton strike to the common peronial!

Leave a comment:

• FLState26
    replied
    How does the OC spray work with people who wear contacts? Do the instructors have you take your contacts out?

Leave a comment:

• christuan
    replied
    1. Take the spray
    2. Hands up and parry off the DT instructor while reciting the legal definition of "necessary".
    3. Strike combos with hands on the heavy bag, then Thai kicks
    4. Throw heavy bag to the ground, go through all 6 prone handcuffing positions
    5. Walk 50' while identifying yourself and your agency and give verbal orders to a suspect to prone out
    6. Properly handcuff suspect, DL cuffs, pat down for weapons and put 'em in the patrol car.
    7. Seatbelt suspect in, get to decon and then get in line to role play the handcuffing suspect.

Good times, good times. I got hit with some this week for the first time since basic (I'm a rookie newb), and I'm very glad I went through the OC cert. Knowing it was coming, knowing the effects, and knowing I could fight through it was beneficial while rassling with dude.

Leave a comment:

• SoCalSheriff
    replied
    Just be Carefull

at the end of the day, when it is all over and you jump in the shower.

1. Dont take a hot shower- tends to reactivate the remaining OC

2. BE EXTRA CAREFULL HOW YOU STAND IN SAID SHOWER..... nothing worse than having any remaining OC run down your hair/face/neck and onto your, well, you get the picture.

Leave a comment:

• Trinium
    replied
    They did us one at a time. Sprayed in the eyes, then we did baton strikes on a bag, and ordered a suspect onto the ground and handcuffed him. Then got water and johnson's baby shampoo. It wont matter if you close your eyes because they tell you to blink and you cant proceed to baton strikes until they see that its taken effect.

When you get sprayed bring some "technu" with you, it helps better than the johnson's baby shampoo. Make sure you scrub the the shampoo/technu in, and rinse, and repeat, then expose your face to air, then repeat.

Its not that bad.

Leave a comment:

• BSA70
    replied
    I can tell you my experience with the nc highway patrol academy.

They will have you stand still. You will tell them when you are ready. They will spray an x on your forehead. You will then have a perp lay out, give instructions, handcuff, place in patrol car, walk around and get help onthe radio.

My experience with the stuff was awful. Some it dosnt affect. Unfortunately for me, it affects me bad.

B sa

Leave a comment:

• Mejo83
    replied
    Haha, it seems like some of them were always getting their butts whooped in school or something! No need to take it out on me!

Leave a comment:

• Gene L
    replied
    Some academy instructors are just plain sadistic or immature, and would be better off at Abu Jabib.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2585 users online. 170 members and 2415 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X