300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retired officer authority

I was talking to a security guard at the hospital my wife works at. He says that he is a retired police officer and that he still has a book of tickets from his former agency. He said that even though he is retired, he can still write a person a ticket if he wants to. Do retired officers normally keep their authority in that area? This is in Indiana
    I can't believe I do this for free!

I don't work in Indiana, but I'd find that really hard to believe.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I know we don't in New York.

Comment

Same in Florida.
        You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

Actually...sorry, I meant to say that it's the same as the poster above me, they don't have the same authority when they retire. That's probably why I will die in this job, because I will never retire...and the statics say I won't make it 5 years after retiring.
          You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

Even if I had that authority, which I don't, I wouldn't bother with it anyway.
            Retired

Comment

When I retire, why in the world would I want to keep my authority, let alone a ticket book?
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by Kokoro View Post
                I was talking to a security guard at the hospital my wife works at. He says that he is a retired police officer and that he still has a book of tickets from his former agency. He said that even though he is retired, he can still write a person a ticket if he wants to. Do retired officers normally keep their authority in that area? This is in Indiana
                I know of some Indiana PD's that convey reserve status to retired officers. My PD has a few retired officers that work part-time and they retain their powers. Their part-times status seems more honorary than anything else.

Comment

When I am retired I am retired.
                  Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by pujolsfan146 View Post
                    When I am retired I am retired.
                    I agree.

In MD when you retire, you also retire your police powers.
                    John 3:16

Comment

Sounds like he is trying to make himself important/impress someone.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                        Sounds like he is trying to make himself important/impress someone.
                        Or he really misses the job....
                        The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

Retired Officer

Originally posted by Kokoro View Post
                          We did a short thread on this subject not too long ago. I'm retired, and enjoying every day of it. When I retired, the Department of Public Safety awarded me the following items.
                          1). My Badge
                          2). Retired I.D. card
                          3). My service pistol.

The closest I come to working is once a year, when I qualify with my weapon under HR 218. THAT's not work, it's really something I enjoy doing. In Alabama, a Retired Officer, State, County, City, is a private citizen. Some retired Officers take enforcement jobs with other entities, and in that case, would have the arrest authority specific to that agency. I have no problem with any Officer who goes that route. It's a personal decision. My personal view is that had I desired to continue working wrecks, writing citations, shagging calls etc, I'd have remained on active duty.

Comment

As a Fed, my Retired authority is ..... none. I have been, in the words of Jefferson on leaving the Presidency, "elevated to the status of citizen".

I'm proud of what I did, but that was then, this is now. I have not been any office of my agency since the day I Retired. They want to see me, they have to pay me!
                            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Who would want to????!!!??? My juristiction will extend around the borders of my property. I know of some old timers that could not get enough, and went on to work for the Sheriff's office and so on. When my time is done, it is done. I'm still working on a place to put the ticket book when I retire in 13.2 months (but who's counting?).
                              As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3124 users online. 166 members and 2958 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X