300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer to North Carolina

Anyone with info on policing in North Carolina? I’m looking to transfer down to the Carolinas. I currently have 8 years on with the Nypd and looking to leave for obvious reasons. I’m looking to only transfer to conservative areas where police are appreciated by both citizens and local politicians. How’s quality of life with a Po’s salary? Currently have a family and would like to make the move. Thank you.

I looked at transferring to SC from Ohio early in my career (Southern states seem to love Yankee police certifications). Most salaries weren't even close when you get into LE in the South...there are some larger agencies that pay ok, but they're going to be nothing compared to what you're getting in the NY area. There is a dramatic difference in most areas when it comes to cost of living, however, so you'll have to factor that in. My understanding is that unions are also very rare down there.

I also understand that most state retirement systems accept around 5 years of transferred time from other states (your mileage may vary). You should do your research into this as well...retirement is always an important issue to consider.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Yeah pay may not be as high but neither is the cost of living. So don't freak out about that.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
        Yeah pay may not be as high but neither is the cost of living. So don't freak out about that.
        About 30 yrs ago my sisters oldest brother in law was a California Highway Patrolman with about 15 yrs on duty. He wanted to move BACK to Iowa due to the way things were happening in Cali.

Even though he grew up in Iowa, and knew the cost of living , he couldn't get right in his mind the pay cut he would have to take to return to his roots. That and pension problems kept him in California until he took a medical early retirement ( 4 motor wrecks plus one or two in a squad) and IMMEDIATELY moved back home.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Ah, North Carolina. Sandy beaches on the east side and laurel covered mountains on the west. In the middle are great universities and the growing biomedical and banking sectors. There's actually two North Carolinas; modern cities like Charlotte and Raleigh, and backwater sloughs where it's still 1861 as far as folks are concerned and where you'll still see the occasional bumper sticker: "Give a Yankee directions: Point him NORTH".

Quality of life... well, it's hot and muggy May to September. Pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw and vinegar sauce are the bomb. Cottonmouths hang from tree branches. Watch out for red ants. They still serve chitlins at gas stations. Hurricanes are no joke.

I dunno about NC being anymore conservative and appreciative of police than anywhere else. Maybe some pockets exist in the swamps hills and hollers but those areas have their own issues, i.e.- it's still 1861 and New Yorkers need not apply. So that leaves the big cities as the most viable employment option, where the attitudes aren't that much different than your current situation. Frankly, other than northern Idaho and The Villages in Florida, I'm not sure such a place exists....

What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
            Ah, North Carolina. Sandy beaches on the east side and laurel covered mountains on the west. In the middle are great universities and the growing biomedical and banking sectors. There's actually two North Carolinas; modern cities like Charlotte and Raleigh, and backwater sloughs where it's still 1861 as far as folks are concerned and where you'll still see the occasional bumper sticker: "Give a Yankee directions: Point him NORTH".

Quality of life... well, it's hot and muggy May to September. Pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw and vinegar sauce are the bomb. Cottonmouths hang from tree branches. Watch out for red ants. They still serve chitlins at gas stations. Hurricanes are no joke.

I dunno about NC being anymore conservative and appreciative of police than anywhere else. Maybe some pockets exist in the swamps hills and hollers but those areas have their own issues, i.e.- it's still 1861 and New Yorkers need not apply. So that leaves the big cities as the most viable employment option, where the attitudes aren't that much different than your current situation. Frankly, other than northern Idaho and The Villages in Florida, I'm not sure such a place exists....
            The biggest problem we have with people up north and out west (Yankees) are they come here to escape the BS they left. Then they try to make it like the place they left. The same can be said for the southern folks that move out of the liberal big cities to the conservative areas and try to do the same thing.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. It’s a big concern taking a 60k pay cut and reduced pension but right now it’s a bigger concern for me to get collared for simply doing my job. NYC has lost it’s way. I have family in the Charlotte area and love it down there. I’ll make sure to take off my Bernie bumper sticker before heading on down.

Comment

If you leave, a big consideration is what do you do with your home in NY if you own it.

I know several officers who have left California for greener pastures, only to become disenchanted and move back to Cali. When they left, they sold their house. Like New York, property values in California are skyrocketing and by the time they returned, particularly after having worked for lesser wages out of state, the couldn't affoird to buy a replacement home in California and were forced to rent. Again, because property values are so high, that rent took away most of their new paycheck.

If you move out of state and can afford to do so, don't sell your NY home. Instead, rent it out and use the money to make your house payments. If things in the new state don't work out, you won't have to worry about whether you can afford to move back home.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I am a native NCer.

For your more "pro-police" areas, it would probably be agencies in the suburbs of Charlotte (I am familiar with this area of NC). Now every town in the area had a protest a month ago when that was the thing to do, even in the more supportive communities. I live in the Mecklenburg county area, and have had my unmarked patrol car messed with (just opening the gas tank). My mom has a thin blue sticker and American flag blue line sticker, and over the past week someone scraped them off her car overnight (again this is in the northern Mecklenburg county area).

With that said, most people are supportive of LE where Im at, but morale for many has sunk to an all time low due to the media coverage and public perception of police.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department (CMPD) you will make money, and the city is divided up into patrol divisions and some divisions are quite different (Providence and South Divisions are slower, and Metro Division is BUSY!) The Mecklenburg county D.A., Sheriff, and Charlotte city council are all Democrat. I would say that if you are in LE, even a suburb in Mecklenburg county, local towns like Mint Hill, Cornelius, Matthews are more conservative, but court system is very busy in Mecklenburg and not very supportive of your cases.

Also the school system in Mecklenburg county is not the greatest unless you get into a Charter school.

If you want a politically conservative community all around (Sheriff, D.A.) try Iredell County, Union County, Cabarrus County, Lincoln County, all of these counties border Mecklenburg .
                  John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Also unions are basically non-existent when compared to what a union is up north.

Organized labor is generally not allowed by law in NC, as in most Southern states. Now you still have the PBA , FOP, and some agencies like the Raleigh Police Department have their own "union" called the Raleigh Police Protective Association, and these can talk with town and city governments and express their concerns, but have no bargaining power. Mainly, these are used for Officers with assistance in regards to lawsuits or criminal action taken against a police officer.
                    John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

• Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yikes.....

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3265 users online. 158 members and 3107 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X