Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard is it for someone with a misdemeanor to become a police officer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is it for someone with a misdemeanor to become a police officer?

• I know that a lot of police departments ay that having a misdemeanor is not an immediate disqualifier, but I imagine the reality is a lot different, especially with there being so many applicants.

Originally posted by Crossroads King View Post
    • I know that a lot of police departments ay that having a misdemeanor is not an immediate disqualifier, but I imagine the reality is a lot different, especially with there being so many applicants.
    What is your misdemeanor charge?

Comment

• Crossroads King
      Crossroads King commented
      Editing a comment
      None, just curious.

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Not buying it...

Well I'm just curious as to why you're asking?

Comment

• L-1
      L-1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably "for a friend."

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, yup...

• Crossroads King
      Crossroads King commented
      Editing a comment
      Because I am curious s to why police departments would even allow/need someone with a misdemeanor to apply, as, from my understanding, they get plenty of applicants who don't have misdemeanors.

Well, as for the big cities, just wait a year or so and there will so many positions available the departments will take anyone that will take the job
    T.K.
    http://tonykoester.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence" (Mr. Justice Stewart, Elkins v. United States 364 U.S. 206 (1960)

sigpic

Comment

• Iowa #1603
      Iowa #1603 commented
      Editing a comment
      Truth........

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Iowa's right, but they won't be the same positions that are being vacated by good police officers...

• Iowa #1603
      Iowa #1603 commented
      Editing a comment
      That also is correct

You are going to see standards for hiring loosen up significantly with today’s political climate.

It will depend on the original misdemeanor charge.

So, what was the charge? No one posts a question like that unless it relates to them some way, shape, or form.

Comment

As long as it isn't for a misdemeanor DV related conviction it isn't an automatic disqualifier in most places. There are obviously certain misdemeanor convictions that will basically be almost equal to an automatic DQ so that's why people are asking for what the charge was.

If it is about you, I hope you have moved forward and learned from it. Be sure to be 100% honest and open with your application and with the background investigator. Best of luck.

Comment

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        If?........

It depends what the original charge was, what the conviction was for, and how long ago it was.

Comment

Some misdemeanor convictions can be automatic disqualifiers. Example: If the maximum sentence the court might have imposed included incarceration for more than one year that conviction would cause prohibition on possessing or owning a firearm under federal law. Another example would be any conviction for an offense involving domestic violence (harassment, stalking, threats, minor assaults, etc), even though the conviction was only for a misdemeanor. These things usually come up during the background investigation, and the result is simply dropping that applicant from the process.

More frequently, what happens is that there is a pool of applicants having acceptable credentials (age, education, certifications, etc), some have no criminal history at all while some may have prior misdemeanors. That will usually result in selection of the applicants without such histories. Every step of the process is competitive, either as a pass/fail exercise or as a comparative analysis by the hiring authority, having full knowledge that the decisions made can always come back on the hiring authority in the future.

Example: Applicant has an old misdemeanor theft conviction (not automatically disqualifying), gets hired, then gets busted for running a theft and burglary operation, ostensibly with knowledge of police staffing, scheduling, procedures, etc. The hiring authority may end up facing lawsuits claiming that the prior history was known (or reasonably should have been known) therefore the hiring authority was negligent, thus actionable. In that example, a showing that other candidates in the same hiring pool, but without the prior conviction, were bypassed while this applicant was hired (a very strong argument of negligence on the part of the hiring authority).

Any conviction of record is a red flag that must be considered.

Comment

Because I am curious s to why police departments would even allow/need someone with a misdemeanor to apply, as, from my understanding, they get plenty of applicants who don't have misdemeanors.
          So... you’re assuming it does happen. Why?
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4703 users online. 339 members and 4364 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X