Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Academy jitters..

Hello,

I am starting the Police Academy next week. As the week gets closer, I am starting to get more nervous. I am sure that this is normal, but do any LEO's have any advice to ensure a successful completion?

Thanks much!

Originally posted by JLH81 View Post
    Hello,

I am starting the Police Academy next week. As the week gets closer, I am starting to get more nervous. I am sure that this is normal, but do any LEO's have any advice to ensure a successful completion?

Thanks much!
    one day at a time-get a calendar,mark off the days but don't get ahead of yourself.I hope you are jogging everyday-its a stress reliever...........
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

don't hype yourself up, its no big deal, jsut think everyone else did why cant you.

Comment

Academy Jitters

A few pre-academy jitters are quite common. There is really a laundry list of suggestions many of us could make to you. I'll try to cover a few, and be relatively brief.

1), Punctuality. Self Explanatory. Practice it.
        2). Uniform pressed, shoes/boots/brass/leather gear shined.
        3). Weapon clean, -once issued.
        4). Clean shaven, neatly groomed.
        5). Homework assignments completed. Notebook up to date.
        6). Sir/Maam to all instructors and staff, regardless of rank.
        7). Quarters cleaned, bunk made, (Live-In Academy)
        8). Improve the distance you're able to run each week.
        9). Increase the number of push-ups/sit-ups/chin-ups on a weekly basis.

Make the Academy your #1 Priority for it's entire duration. That could be a little rough on personal/family life, but it's a must. Utilize good study habits, as in self discipline, that insures you DO NOT put off assignments or projects.
        Procrastination is one of your worst enemies, and will bite you in the butt, if you allow that to happen. Allow yourself a little time for R&R but go easy on the alcohol if you drink. Good Luck.

Comment

Rather simple really

Go have fun and enjoy...just pay attention
          Leave Space Empty

Comment

Don't over think it. Like one of the other post's said- think of all the officers who have been thru it before you. Blend in, don't draw attention to yourself. When you graduate and the staff says " who is that" you did it right. You will be just fine.
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Pay attention! The instructors/DI's may say something that will come back when you least expect it. Questions are not always welcome, by the staff or your fellow recruits.

Don't over think the whole thing. Relax, you've already been hired, now just go easy and pay attention. Everything PhilipCal listed is right on.
              Carpe Noctem

Comment

Please Delete
                Last edited by GoIrish04; 02-05-2010, 03:02 PM. Reason: Delete

Comment

heres the low down on academy. IT WILL SUCK!! Go in deal with it and move on each day. Remember each day that the reason they are so tough on you is because they are trying to save your life once you get out on the street. I hated the majority of my academy time, but i wouldn't replace any of it.
                  The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
                  -Neal Boortz

Comment

Hey, I got a funny story that will make you more nervous (which is O.K.) or you will get a good kick out of it. On the first day of the academy fifteen of my classmates and myself where standing in the canteen area waiting to be told to be seated in the classroom. We all stood there in a circle. Nobody saying a word. Silence you could cut with a knife. Also standing among us was a patrolman with about 30 years experience standing near us. For some reason, like a [email protected]$% I spoke to him. "How are you doing, sir" His response "A hell of a lot better than you rookie." I thought to myself what a wonderful start as new friends and classmates tried not to laugh.
                    Learn as much as you can and enjoy getting through this with your classmates. Some things will happen that you will never forget. Good Luck!
                    [
                    "If he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
                    "The Man in The Arena"

Comment

There will be some games, so just play along. Follow the advice the others have given. You'll make it.

Comment

If you're going to the Chicago Police Academy, where I graduated from, I have these tips:

1. Keep your mouth shut - always
                        2. Don't draw attention to yourself in ANY way
                        3. If you have questions, ask a classmate after the day is over. Asking questions there does not impress them and you will be turned into week-long jokes by some instructors if you do.
                        4. There is NO preparing for "Welcome to the Gym" - it will hurt
                        5. Go out with your guys on the weekend. It's all that'll keep you sane.
                        6. Do well on tests, be on time, be honest, be humble, and when you're asked a question, think about your answer and keep the answer short and to the point. No excuses, only "I'll fix it, Sir."

If you're not going to Chicago, then probably only 5 and 6 really apply. You'll have fun.
                        "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

If you make a mistake do not try and rationalize it. Take your punishment (it's likely your class will join you) and move on.

Comment

Just remember that it will be over before you know it. Oh, and study like you never have before.

Comment

I found it best to just keep your mouth shut. Don't volunteer for anything unless absolutely no one else does. Just pay attention in class and don't stress over everything. As long as you pay attention in class, don't sleep, and study BRIEFLY the night before a test, you'll do fine.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4501 users online. 246 members and 4255 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X