300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different treatment for certain braches of the Military

Ive talked to a few Police Officers in VA Beach and VA State Police that say they are more inclined to give PC to a Marine or sometimes a Soldier if pulled over, more-so than a Sailor or Airman ( unless they are an MA or SF ). If you work in an Area with a high Military presence, have you noticed this also?

Being a prior service sailor I can believe the statement. I don't hold it against the PD though. We, as sailors, would often get very drunk and beligerent. Can't say I blame the officers for their attitude.
    A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

It ALL comes into their attitude...if you come off like you deserve it then you know what? You probably don't. I was in the Army for 3 yrs. Have given courtesy to plenty of service or retired service members. I have also written one because he "didn't have his license on him but its valid." Ran him and it wasn't and write him and when I give him the ticket I get the, "I'm going to be back from leave when this court date is, I'll just have the JAG office take care of it." Wrong attitude. I got pulled over once before I was an officer by a Deputy who was basically yelling at me for passing him when I thought he was getting off the highway at the off ramp...yes I was speeding (But not so high over the speed limit that I'D pull someone over for now going 72 in 65). He saw my military ID and said, "Get the hell out of here and you better slow down." Didn't leave a good taste in my mouth...he actually taught a class at my academy but I thought better of bringing that up

Comment

Don't treat one branch better then the other. I am noticing a trend though. It seems like more and more these days when I stop a person who happens to be in the military he hands me his military id when I ask him for his drivers license.

It is getting to be a big pet peeve. It's like they think it is an automatic get out of jail free card. I have no problem at all cutting these guys breaks on minor stuff but if they mess up good a military id card is going to be of no help. I don't know if they are teaching them this at bootcamp or what but a considerable amount will skip the drivers license and go straight for a military id. Since I was in the Marine Corps and I also served in the Persian Gulf War as an infantryman it doesn't hold much water with me.
        Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

I hate to say...but other than offender's attitude....( I give a LOT of breaks), I am biased towards Marines....I am one. All together though...I will cut slack to any one of the branches....they all go over there and risk their lives for us, and it's a tough job for crappy pay.
          You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

Like everyone has already said, it all depends on attitude. I stopped an AF Colonel (full-bird 06) about 2 mos ago as he was coming home from the reserve base in FT Worth. He became angry when I didn't address his has Colonel and basically ordered me to do so.

I just smiled politely and ran through the transportation code in my mind and proceeded with writing down every little violation I could find that was wrong with his car and the way he drove. Looking forward to going to court on those 7 citations.

Comment

I think it all depends where one works. If you're working near a base, you are going to be writing more military than the average officer elsewhere.

I know when I was stationed in Hawaii, all military were pretty much free game....and you learned not to drive like a jackass.....or act like one when you were out....as HPD didn't play around.....

As someone (I think pujolsfan146) stated....when I was still on the road with my last agency, I was getting a ton of folks tossing out CAC Cards instead of DLs thinking they were going to get off because of their military status.....

I tried my best to help them out.....but when one is running 20 over....or DUI.....or acting like a tool outside of a bar at close.....I don't really have a lot of options......

Comment

You know, living in eastern NC, I'm surrounding by military bases and a large percentage of those I come in contact with are USMC...that's just the way it is. I've only had ONE bad experience with a marine...but I'll be honest, I think he was offended by me being female more than anything else and didn't bother to hide his opinion. Other than that, I've never had a problem getting "shore patrol" or SNCOs to come and get rowdy marines and handle the situation w/o civilian court getting involved. I've always tried to consider the fact that they will be punished in both the civilian and the military world...now, with some crimes, that doesn't change what I'm going to do, but if it's something minor, then I don't have a problem letting PMO come and get him.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I was never in the military so all the branches are the same to me. Like everyone else here, it's all about attitude. I also get the ID's with their driving info like they expect a free pass.

Even outside of MV stops I get them for fighting, public intox, urinating etc.

The best are the ones who show a military civilian ID. (I'm guessing they use them to get on and around base)

As for the below quote I would have done the same thing, I have had old retired drunks from the VFW's/ Legions tell me this same thing.

Originally posted by USAF E5 View Post
                  Like everyone has already said, it all depends on attitude. I stopped an AF Colonel (full-bird 06) about 2 mos ago as he was coming home from the reserve base in FT Worth. He became angry when I didn't address his has Colonel and basically ordered me to do so.

I just smiled politely and ran through the transportation code in my mind and proceeded with writing down every little violation I could find that was wrong with his car and the way he drove. Looking forward to going to court on those 7 citations.

Comment

I think you will find, well I can speak for Marines at least, that once a Marine is stopped for a particular fraction that the ingrained discipline for giving respect and courtesy to authority is going to show. They, well most do, don't want to make waves because anything they do in the civilian world will come back and bite them again in the military. There is no double jeopardy protection for the armed forces when it comes to being punished by civilian authority and military authority for the same thing.

Second I believe how well the local PD has a professional relationship with the base/installation military police or security is going to affect things. When I was out in CA at Camp Pendleton we had a very good working relationship with the Oceanside Police Department. Whenever a police officer made a visit to the gate for whatever reason he/she was addressed as sir/ma'am or officer. Absolute respect was given even if the officer was turning over some drunk Marine for doing something stupid. The police gave the Marines a lot of leeway and usually let us handle any punishments for their misconduct. Frequently the police were kind of enough to just drop off the drunk or left behind Marines and say "no charges pending" and be done with it. Generally if the local PD didn't feel whatever the Marine did to get his/her attention to warrant charges we just called their unit and got them a ride home.

Granted this just my humble opinion and there is always going to be that 10% screwing it up for everybody else. You can figure that 10% that gave the civilian authority trouble was on the radar of the military police as well. We had several opportunities to train with the police and our SRT team trained with the SWAT teams in the surrounding area a lot. And even the rare occasion we had to back up the PD when a major incident went down near the base. (Two instances I can think of are a fatal vehicle crash and a small riot at the Denny's, it was a rough Denny's ) We never gave the cops crap about bringing their weapons on base and more often than not we usually got into big discussions about what kinds of weapons they carried in their patrol vehicles.

Lastly on my base we didn't screw around when it came to enforcement. We hammered the Marines for speeding big time, in fact we had received "encouragement" from the commanding general that he wanted to see more enforcement. We ran DUI check points almost every week (after we got the mobile command post that is). We tried our hardest to bury the base magistrate in ticketed offenders on the court dates. Don't get me wrong, we weren't doing the "hitler youth" routine but where actually getting people for mostly speeding violations but nothing under 10 was written up. So there was little salvation for the Marines on base for traffic violations and I like to believe that it transitioned over to how they drove on the roads in civy land.
                    Last edited by wirefire2; 05-29-2007, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I observed a suburban with the music blasting, conducted a stop with the intent of telling him to turn it down. As I approched a military id was in hand out the window. I also took note that the three passengers he had with him were some of our local and most well known dope slingers. I advised him of the reason for the stop and requested his drivers license and insurance card. He told me he was on leave and to look at his military id adding, "thats a real uniform". He was then shown a "real citation".
                      Another time was dispatched to a subject screaming, running and a vehicle following him. Before I arrived dispatch advised that someone was attempting to force the subject into the vehicle. Turns out it was a drunk Ranger on leave. He felt the need to conduct some pt, running shouting cadance. Stood at parade rest, yes sir-no sir, the whole bit. His buddies were trying to get him before we did. Told him we were calling his 1st Sgt. That sobered him up real quick. We didnt make the call of course.

Comment

I have used my status as a veteran to calm down several situations, that could have turned out a lot worse.

On one, a guy was drunk and refused to leave a restaurant. When my partner and I arrived, he was standing out front and appeared to be quite angry. I could tell right away, there was going to be no reasoning with him. When I asked him what was going on, he came off with a huge attitude and was sizing us up.

He started ranting and raving about how he was a combat veteran and he just wanted to get some food and be left alone. I told him I was also a combat veteran and that I appreciated his service. I told him I didn't want to have to take a fellow veteran to jail, but I would if he didn't want to cooperate. After my comment, I could immediately see the change in his demeanor. We stood there for a few and exchanged "war stories" and then he left. I am sure if I wasn't able to connect to him the way I did, we surely would have been rolling on the ground.

I agree with the others who have posted. I have no problem letting guys off on minor stuff, but if I ask for your DL don't hand me your military ID. If I get pulled over when I'm off duty, I don't hand the officer my police ID when they ask for my DL. Trust me, 99.9% of the time I can tell if someone is in the military as soon as I make contact and I will usually ask if I suspect they are.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nitrovic
                          I disagree. I cut devil dogs loose all the time (prince william). Quantico is in our borders so we see them a lot. Granted, if they get an attitude or if it's a domestic than that's one thing, but the 20 over or other traffic stuff i cut them loose.
                          You maybe the only one....as I know VSP and several other agencies out here that have no mercy on them for screwing up....as a lot of them were in the military and don't like when folks take advantage of their status of being in......

Comment

Originally posted by UH60RAT View Post
                            I have used my status as a veteran to calm down several situations, that could have turned out a lot worse.

On one, a guy was drunk and refused to leave a restaurant. When my partner and I arrived, he was standing out front and appeared to be quite angry. I could tell right away, there was going to be no reasoning with him. When I asked him what was going on, he came off with a huge attitude and was sizing us up.

He started ranting and raving about how he was a combat veteran and he just wanted to get some food and be left alone. I told him I was also a combat veteran and that I appreciated his service. I told him I didn't want to have to take a fellow veteran to jail, but I would if he didn't want to cooperate. After my comment, I could immediately see the change in his demeanor. We stood there for a few and exchanged "war stories" and then he left. I am sure if I wasn't able to connect to him the way I did, we surely would have been rolling on the ground.

I agree with the others who have posted. I have no problem letting guys off on minor stuff, but if I ask for your DL don't hand me your military ID. If I get pulled over when I'm off duty, I don't hand the officer my police ID when they ask for my DL. Trust me, 99.9% of the time I can tell if someone is in the military as soon as I make contact and I will usually ask if I suspect they are.

Imagine dealing with that with every person you come across.... That's my job...

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                              I know when I was stationed in Hawaii, all military were pretty much free game....and you learned not to drive like a jackass.....or act like one when you were out....as HPD didn't play around.....
                              No kidding. I had a female motor officer pull me over screaming at me about how she almost wrecked trying to catch me. All I could think was, "Not my fault you can't ride" lol I wisely kept that thought in my head and did not voice it. I had a little 450cc bike, got to Honolulu fast cuz it was down hill. Took forever getting back to Schofield.

I have noticed every military type that gets pulled or shows for court has to bring up Iraq. You know, thanks for your service, but 1) There is no way for me to easily verify you have been to Iraq or sat in an armory polishing truks. and 2) there are plenty of $hitheads in the military that deserve whatever comes there way.
                              Last edited by GGG; 05-30-2007, 11:03 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4244 users online. 257 members and 3987 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X