Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does admitting CCW status affect you?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does admitting CCW status affect you?

I've heard a lot of speculation on this, so I'm curious what this forum thinks. If you pull someone over for a traffic violation or similar, and the driver casually hands you his/her concealed weapons permit (to politely let you know they're carrying), does this make you more hostile or more at ease? Do you temporarily disarm the driver for the duration of the stop? States without CCW permits need not respond
    Sets me at ease, I typically don't disarm them
    43.75%
    Sets me at ease, after I disarm them
    18.75%
    Makes me paranoid, I disarm them
    18.75%
    Makes me paranoid, but I typically don't disarm them
    18.75%

I've actually been there a few times. It doesn't raise my level of normal high carefulness during traffic stops, since CCW permit holders have to be screened and trained per state law. CCW permits are expensive in my state, and permit holders here rarely jeopardize their CCW status.

Also, in my state, a CCW permit holder MUST notify an LEO stopping them if they are armed. They have no legal choice in the matter.

Personally, I'm more concerned with the guy who carries outside the law, and not a law abiding citizen who has gone through the process.
    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Didn't effect me....as in MO, all that info is imputed onto your plates and on your DL.....so when you get pulled over it pops up on NCIC/MULES.

Other than that......I treated everyone the same.....that they were armed and wanted to hurt me until proven otherwise.....

Comment

Although we don't have CCW permits in Wisconsin, I still assume everybody is armed until proved otherwise. Just keeps me on my toes. From a practical standpoint, I would have very little to fear from someone who is legally carrying their firearm. Its all those under the radar types I worry about.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I dunno, but when I got stopped in Buena Park and told the Officer I was off duty and had a firearm in the car, he drew down on me!

Comment

I usually ask him "where's the gun" and after he tells me, I tell him not to make any sudden movements to that area, and we both "will be fine". But to answer your question, no. I do not disarm him.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

I typically advise the officer out of respect, if I'm wearing it... if it's in the console, though, it's none of his business. That only opens up a can of worms for an otherwise illegal search, or running the serial # (which is also a 4th amendment issue), or rarely I've heard of officers confiscating them if you don't have a receipt to prove it's yours (asinine!).

In terms of the local police knowing whether I've got one - I guess things are different in GA as having a permit doesn't mean you do/don't have a gun in the car. In GA, you can keep a gun in your glovebox or console legally without a permit, so anyone could be carrying.

I've heard most officers are worried about the ones that don't say anything.

Comment

Something about some of those OC "boys"

Originally posted by CAHokie View Post
                I dunno, but when I got stopped in Buena Park and told the Officer I was off duty and had a firearm in the car, he drew down on me!

had that crap happen last yr,when I was with two fo my LASD buddies-we were leaving a club called Sutra and some 2yr "wonder" from costa Mesa PD drew down when approaching my buds Denali- his excuse? it looks like a "g-ride" and there are alot of duis coming from that club-since when do you draw down on a DUI inv??????none of us were "HBD" that nite (club sodas and cokes-blecch!)and despite initially being "Badged" by all of us,he kept his sidearm out and by his rt side-which ****ED my buds off even more-they started demanding his supervisor,and a Two striper( corporal or FTO) showed up and made a bunch of excuses-the ****ing match went on for nearly 12 mins until I intervened and asked them all to call it quits-same rookie was trying to issue a tinted window cite but got called off by another CMPD officer.I've never done that to another copper/deputy,much less a citizen on a T/stop who was cooperative( had a Torrance ,CA PD dispatcher whose husband is LAPD tell me she had his .38 in the center glove box of her truck while on a T/stop- she id'ed herself and I asked her out of the truck ,entered and found the gun-a quick cell call confirmed who he was and I put the firearm,sans ammo ,in the trucks equip box on the rear bed-issue resolved.Even when I had to arrest folks for 12031(a)PC in the vehicle,most had their hands on the wheel and complied with my orders-drawing down is for serious threats-all it takes is a flinch and its bad shooting inv...........
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4610 users online. 269 members and 4341 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X