Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspiring LEO Questions and Fears

Hey all!

So I’ve read many of the posts and now it’s time to make this a tad more personal and specific to me. Like most of us, LEO has been the aspiration since childhood. There is no plan b. At the same time, I was stupid as a child. There is no doubt about it. I have experience as an IDF Combat Veteran, a Sniper, a Team Leader, and an Officer for a private Special Response Team. I applied almost three years ago for LVMPD and was DQ’d due to drug history. The duration of the DQ is for 3 years more or less (11/2020), and the reason being when I was younger prior to the military I dabbled with various narcotics along with Marijuana post military due to the (state) legality for recreational use. Not for me but gave it a shot. Anywho, I gave the full truth during my backgrounds. I have since not touched anything. My fears lie here - 1) I’m scared of a false negative on the poly so any and all info to help with that would be greatly appreciated haha and 2) Last year I lost my job due to being involved in an incident whilst being on uniform and was caught on camera (and company protocols claim I cannot be in public eye with company uniform). By the time I reapply for metro it would have been over a year and half since my termination. Would this create interference? I’m obviously not going to lie, but would like to know what to expect.

Disclaimer - I can take cold hearted truth. I can take reality. But don’t be some ******* jokester. That’s unnecessary. Thanks y’all.

Each department has its own standards which may include a list of automatic disqualifiers.

In each hiring cycle you will always be competing against everyone else in the applicant pool. The candidates with the fewest negatives usually prevail over those with more negative history.

Your history is your history and cannot be changed. To your credit, it sounds like you have taken full responsibility for your past, rather than trying to rationalize or explain it away.

All you can do now is to continue being completely up-front and honest in every interview and every application. That, all by itself, will put you in the top 1/3 or so because the majority will try to lie, cover up, or blame anyone other than themselves (it always worked with Mommy and teachers!).

Comment

• Aj1213
      Aj1213 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Your honesty and help is greatly appreciated.

As such, I’ve done what I’ve done. I cannot hide my stupidity, but I will gloat on the fact that I’ve done a lot to show that I’m more than my past. Again thank you.

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post
    Each department has its own standards which may include a list of automatic disqualifiers.

In each hiring cycle you will always be competing against everyone else in the applicant pool. The candidates with the fewest negatives usually prevail over those with more negative history.

Your history is your history and cannot be changed. To your credit, it sounds like you have taken full responsibility for your past, rather than trying to rationalize or explain it away.

All you can do now is to continue being completely up-front and honest in every interview and every application. That, all by itself, will put you in the top 1/3 or so because the majority will try to lie, cover up, or blame anyone other than themselves (it always worked with Mommy and teachers!).
    THIS ^^^^^^^^

Next on the agenda is that MANY of the experienced officers here are thinking that getting into the profession right now MIGHT not be the best idea. HUGE numbers of officers are thinking of RE THINKING our professions.

This means that there probably will be many job opening.........................but only you can decide if the crap you are going to have to deal with is worth the paycheck. Like I said right now MANY are thinking it is not worth it.

Your mileage may vary

I would really start thinking about Plan B
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Aj1213
      Aj1213 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the honesty! Personally from personal experience I feel as though I can make it with what is currently occurring. As mentioned I was in the IDF and the situation out there is actually very similar to what is occurring here.

• Iowa #1603
      Iowa #1603 commented
      Editing a comment
      Military is NOT policing . They have completely different skill sets. SIMILAR but not even close to the same.

LOTS of ex military wash out of hiring and training segments of LE .

Be honest and truthful, and continue to take responsibility for it. As I'm sure you may know, time is the best factor to help you. The further away that negative stuff is in the past, the better your chances are. Best of luck with your applications.

Comment

• Aj1213
      Aj1213 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Two issues that need addressed are what type/s of narcotics you took, and what you were terminated for. .

Comment

• Aj1213
      Aj1213 commented
      Editing a comment
      What I was terminated for was mentioned in the above and as for the narcotics, that is no longer a worry. When It comes to LVMPD and a temporary DQ it’s to verify that I have no habitual behavior with the narcotics that I have tried. So as long as I have not done them since the addresses date and time, the incident is “forgiven”. But thank you!

As mentioned, with some departments some things will be auto-dq, some will not. All you can do is try.

There was a guy in my academy who was a juvie Sureno. Had the tats and the messed up nose from coke.

He got out of the life, enlisted in the Army, was hired by a small town in the Colorado mountains and now works for one of the largest Sheriff's Offices in the state.

Anything is possible.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Aj1213
      Aj1213 commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate the motivation. Got a friend like that too down in Duncanville. Was a heroin addict and is now a SWAT Sergeant.

• Iamkre8
      Iamkre8 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's awesome not many hiring in Colorado at the moment. Pretty cool to hear he was able to turn his life around!

• CCCSD
      CCCSD commented
      Editing a comment
      You mean IS a heroin addict. No such thing as was. It’s permanent.
      Last edited by CCCSD; 06-13-2020, 02:38 PM.

OP: I still don't see it. All I see is a reference to an "incident."

Comment

• tanksoldier
      tanksoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      You were fired for stopping for gas on your way home from work?

• Iowa #1603
      Iowa #1603 commented
      Editing a comment
      You are just double talking.

Try plain English

• Aj1213
      Aj1213 commented
      Editing a comment
      I really don’t know what you mean by use plain English. And no I was not fired for that. Read again. Like I said ********s won’t be tolerated. I spilled the beans about everything. If you’ve got no useful information - move along.

• tanksoldier
      tanksoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      1. You aren’t being candid and direct, you’re obfuscating. You can’t be seen in uniform in public? More like you can’t take enforcement action off your post, and you did.
      2. You don’t decide what we do.

Erratic, Local National?

So Exactly what happened,.....specifically?

Comment

• Aj1213
      Aj1213 commented
      Editing a comment
      Local national (homeless) was erratic and causing trouble at a gas station. People were hurt and things were vandalized. I was a witness for the report.

• tanksoldier
      tanksoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      ...and you got fired for that.

Can't be in public eye in uniform? Unless your security job was in a secret underground lair then you're always in the public eye!

If those nut job 1st amendment auditors ever showed up at the security job, y'all would have been fired?

What really happened?

Comment

• Aj1213
      Aj1213 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what really happened. The place was a federal critical infrastructure. And no, we were not in public eye.

• tanksoldier
      tanksoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      Then why were you in uniform against policy? They must have provided a locker room or something if no member of the public is ever allowed to see you wearing a uniform. If someone breaks in, are you supposed to hide?

OP, are you saying that per the terms of your employment with the contractor for the critical infrastructure facility you could not be seen in public in your uniform as being identified as working at the facility? And per those terms since you were seen in public via the camera and police report you were let go by the contractor?

If so, that actually is a “thing” I’ve heard of with various contract guard forces at high security fed facilities. You just need to get a bit better at articulating that if it is the case that it was in the terms of employment etc.

Comment

• Aj1213
      Aj1213 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was. Apologies.

LNs are OCONUS. We don’t use that word in the US. So, if you WERE on duty, then you were off post. If you were off duty, why were you in uniform, since your uniform is so secret...?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

He did say IDF, which is if I'm correct is Israeli defense force...
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
      that we are all that stands between
      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

• Aj1213
        Aj1213 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes indeed

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3290 users online. 224 members and 3066 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X