Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would benefit from doing Police ride alongs

Good afternoon,
    Who do you think would benefit form doing a ride along with the local PD? Do you think Social workers or clergy would benefit from doing Police ride alongs? Why or why not? Thanks

EVERYONE should go on ride alongs so they can experience firsthand the freak show which is the endless parade of human debris officers deal with. Live PD and COPS give a taste of what it is like out there, but there is NOTHING like the real thing, baby!

Comment

I encourage anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of law enforcement to go out on a ride along.
      "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

I regularly offered ride-alongs to judges and prosecutors so they could develop a sense of what uniformed cops are forced to deal with every day. A few took me up on it, and one district judge eventually agreed with me that what was needed was a "contempt of cop" law, similar to a judge's "contempt of court" authority that is required to maintain orderly proceedings.

Later, as a small town police chief, I regularly encouraged the mayor and city council members to ride along with officers. I remember one council member who was surprised to learn that cops weren't allowed to shoot people who were rude or behaving badly, and another one who complained that things would be a lot better if the cops would just beat people up to teach them a lesson.

Reality therapy.

Comment

The Minneapolis city council.

Comment

Everyone would benefit, most people have no idea what it takes to be a Law Enforcement Officer. A ride along gives the average person a better understanding of what it's like to be a LEO.

Comment

Everybody/ anybody... had one of our local problem children do a ride along (nothing felonious, just traffic stuff and some vandalism). He didn't change his behavior, and I ended up arresting him for DV criminal mischief a frew weeks later, but it made him easier to deal with afterwards... he knew what was going on any why.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Especially good for crooked politicians (Is that redundant?). Give them a taste of going through a door into a dark building during an alarm call, or climbing a ladder to a roof on a burglary call, or roll on a silent robbery call as the first unit to arrive, or, I don’t know, anything that causes you to pucker even though you have been on the job a long time. That would be good for any ride along
                T.K.
                http://tonykoester.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence" (Mr. Justice Stewart, Elkins v. United States 364 U.S. 206 (1960)

sigpic

Comment

Normally I would like to have a ride along. But I've seen some here that I don't want in the car with me unless they're sitting in the back.

Comment

I would invite anyone to do a ride-along (with certain obvious exceptions). The more people we expose to what we do, day/night-in and -out, the less criticism I feel there would be for us doing the normal aspects of our job.

But, to turn this on its ear, how many of us have gone out of our way to experience our critics' lives? I'm not talking about engaging in criminal activity, of course. Rather, do we patronize businesses in the 'rough' parts of town? Do we choose to share a meal with a homeless person? Volunteer for organizations that help under-served members of our communities?

I think it's great to promote ride-alongs as a way for the public to get to know us, showing we're not all trigger-happy, jack-booted thugs. Yet communication and understanding is a 2-way street; I feel we need to do our part as well.

Comment

Nothing more need be said..........all the responders are spot-on

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4597 users online. 322 members and 4275 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X