300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part Time Police Academy

I am on the fence whether I should do the part time police academy or not. I was never successful trying to get a department to sponsor me through the academy. I failed many of their exams (including 4 polys and 3 psychs) have tried for 5 years and was never successful. Please correct me if I'm wrong, If I self-sponsor myself do I have an advantage of getting hired? maybe they are more lenient with me when it comes to the poly and psych?

On another note, I am a full time school teacher, my city is currently offering the part time police academy mon - fri 6pm - 10pm, that means that if I decide to do the part time police academy I would have to finish teaching at 3:00pm to then get ready to be at the academy at 5:00pm from Mon - Fri, can I accomplish this? I heard the police academy is a lot of work and study time but I wonder If I sacrifice myself for about 8 months, would I make it?

This job is not a hobby, meaning that you have to commit 100 to mastering this craft so you're the best possible product when you start the job. If you doubt your ability to be focused and committed, stop now.

Additionally, I can't think of an agency that won't do their own background/psych prior to hiring you, whether you're certified or not. If you can't pass the BASIC hiring standards now, getting certified won't change that. To be honest, based on what you are failing there are issues with you (at face value) that appear to make you unemployable in policing.

Comment

If you can't pass the BI and psych you aren't competitive. It's not like you're losing out to someone with a better resume.

Passing the academy won't change whatever is causing you to fail.

...and, in my opinion, the part-time academy is MUCH more difficult than full time.

Just the chance that life will interfere is greater the longer you go. Being able to focus JUST on passing the academy for 4-5 months, rather than having daily things come up AND the academy night/ weekends.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Departments will NOT be more lenient on you in the polygraph or psych because you're academy certified.

Certified applicants are the rule rather than the exception in my area, especially for small-to-medium-sized departments. I completed such an academy back in the day and I know what the students in those academies go through (or, rather, what they don't go through) in regards to background checks. Of my academy class of 30+, I believe that there are only 2 of us left in LE. I have personally been involved in cases (more than one) where a suspect in a serious crime (including the murder of a child) had completed police academy certification.

Pay-to-play academies only want money and will accept anyone who passes a very minimal background check...and police departments know this. Being certified only benefits a department financially, as they don't have to pay for an academy (though some will still require a new hire to complete an academy anyway). Departments won't run a risk by abbreviating a background process just to save a few thousand dollars...not when a bad candidate can cost a department millions in lawsuits later.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

If you self sponsor you May be an easier choice to a lower tier dept, but a top tier dept will still pass.

Address the DQ issues and try to resolve them if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Fragela1 View Post
            I am on the fence whether I should do the part time police academy or not. I was never successful trying to get a department to sponsor me through the academy. I failed many of their exams (including 4 polys and 3 psychs) have tried for 5 years and was never successful.Please correct me if I'm wrong, If I self-sponsor myself do I have an advantage of getting hired? maybe they are more lenient with me when it comes to the poly and psych??
            I will correct you...............you are wrong.

An pay for stay academy (non sponsored) will most likely be just as if not more stricter in their entrance standards.......................BESIDES you must STILL pass both a poly and a psych test given by the agency that hires you.

If you have failed that many exams as well as 4 polygraphs & 3 psychological test you are MOST LIKELY never going to get hired as a cop. There is something basically wrong in your psyche that is never going to be comparable with working as a law enforcement officer

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Before investing in an academy, I'd research why you had issues with psychological and polygraph exams. If all the agencies where you applied utilize the same psychologist and/or polygraph operator, perhaps you're the exception to the rule.

That said, failing that number of two different exams makes me suspect law enforcement may not be a good fit for you.
              John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Fragela1 View Post
                I am on the fence whether I should do the part time police academy or not. I was never successful trying to get a department to sponsor me through the academy. I failed many of their exams (including 4 polys and 3 psychs) have tried for 5 years and was never successful. Please correct me if I'm wrong, If I self-sponsor myself do I have an advantage of getting hired? maybe they are more lenient with me when it comes to the poly and psych?

On another note, I am a full time school teacher, my city is currently offering the part time police academy mon - fri 6pm - 10pm, that means that if I decide to do the part time police academy I would have to finish teaching at 3:00pm to then get ready to be at the academy at 5:00pm from Mon - Fri, can I accomplish this? I heard the police academy is a lot of work and study time but I wonder If I sacrifice myself for about 8 months, would I make it?
                There were 3 self sponsors in my academy. None of them were ever hired.

You still need to meet hiring requirements and qualifications for any department regardless of how you made it through the academy.

Comment

In my state I would estimate about 50%-75% of all new hires self-sponsor, with a higher percentage in the smaller to medium agencies.

Back when I went to the academy, the percentage was likely higher, and I put myself through an academy similar to what's described. I worked my regular day job, then attended the academy from 6pm-10pm 2 nights a week and weekends for 11 months. It wasn't easy, but it was do-able. I will say that military-style academies are not the norm in my area, and most academies are run by community colleges.

But I don't think attending an academy is the issue here, it's that you've been failing standard components with the hiring process that are designed to keep people out of the job that aren't a right fit. Until you are able to address that, I don't think an academy certification is going to get you what you want.

Comment

The only advantage you would have is that you might get picked up by a small department that doesn't use the poly or psych. You have picked a career field that you are probably not suited for.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4010 users online. 191 members and 3819 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X