300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting a Flare in Public

I'm a huge Red Sox fan, and when they won the World Series, I was out in the streets whooping it up. People had drums, and whistles. I was going to buy some flares and light them up and just run around with them (carefully of course). How would police react this, typically? Is it illegal? Or discouraged?

BOMB! TERRORIST! TAKE HIM OUT, TAKE HIM OUT!

Seriously, due to these type of celebrations occasionally getting out of hand, i.e. arsons, criminal mischiefs, etc. You would almost definitely be told to put it out. The last thing we want is hundreds of people with flares running down the street (it can never be just one). Too much private property at stake. Too much potential of something going wrong.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

A flare??? Why?

Comment

go ahead, light it...and as you are waving the flare around and the reside is slinging onto everyone else around you and melting onto your hand, you'll know why people who have experience with flares will be laughing at you...Either A)you'll get your *** kicked by everyone around you for burning holes in their clothes/skin or B) you'll end up getting serious burns on yourself and having to go to the hospital or C) you'll end up catching something on fire and going to jail for criminal damage/Arson!

By all means, spark up that flare!!!
        "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

discouraged? oh, of course not, our PD encourages crowds of rowdy drunks in the street to light mini torches and run around....what are you like 9?
          "I am... reminded of something Cardinal Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him". Sir Thomas More

Comment

Thanks for the sarcastic responses and insults. This is the "Ask a cop" section, so that's what I've done, in good faith. It was a fairly lighthearted question, given the context, and I was truly curious about getting some insight from policemen, and maybe even a little sports banter going. Guess not. Thanks alot and have a nice evening.

Comment

Flares

Cmon man, its common sence, you really think police officers are going to encourage flares in the streets? Did you expect to get a response like "absolutly go for it, especially in a crowd of people". That means I can do more paper work when you hurt someone or yourself. We love paperwork too, just as much as we love people using flares in the street.

Comment

Originally posted by MAQROLL View Post
                Thanks for the sarcastic responses and insults. This is the "Ask a cop" section, so that's what I've done, in good faith. It was a fairly lighthearted question, given the context, and I was truly curious about getting some insight from policemen, and maybe even a little sports banter going. Guess not. Thanks alot and have a nice evening.

I can see by your six posts that you're new to this. We use jokes and sarcasm to pass the time. You shouldn't take it personally. Review some other posts at your convenience and you'll see that we took it easy on you

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Could somebody tell me if it's illegal or not, that's really all I wanted to know.

(Planning on running wild in the streets of boston in October again)

Comment

This has got to be a joke question!

Could somebody tell me if it's illegal or not, that's really all I wanted to know.
                    Probably not. If this means so much to you, why not call the Boston PD, ask them? In addition to the answer, you'll probably get more of the same "sarcastic responses and insults" you got here.

Why don't you use something safe like a flashlight?
                    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

I'm guessing you don't have much experience with road flares. Fair enough- you'll learn.

Comment

Ever had hot welding slag drop on your skin/clothes? It's kinda the same thing with flares....it's hot phosphorous that drips. It gets everywhere, and the smoke burns the lungs. While it may not be illegal, it sure would be silly/painful.

Comment

I just came across a topic about this very scenario:
                          http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73946

The thread is started by somebody who was burned because some yahoo decided to run around with a road flare.

As for it being illegal, the law may not specifically say roadflare, but you waving a flare in a crowded street would violate various laws and it if I caught you doing it, I'd make the arrest.

Comment

(Planning on running wild in the streets of boston in October again)
                            All right, since no one else is going to be the "bad guy":

Yes, it's illegal. Every time, every place, in every state. You can't do it. If you do, you'll go to jail!!!! Put the flares away and go to bed, it's after 8:00 PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I nearly started myself on fire with a raod flare in 99. Ruined a brand new pair of pants.

I say go for it if you want to, but when you start your hair or your shirt or you buddy on fire, dont come back here complaining that no one warned you for the hazards for playing with road flares. Dont complain when you end up in the pokey and dont complain when you wet the bed.

My good Irish mother use to tell me "Kids who play with fire wet the bed" It must be true because she would not lie to me.
                              It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2738 users online. 121 members and 2617 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X