X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SgtScott31
    replied
    Originally posted by Ten Six View Post
    So are four affairs, according to my ex…
    BWAHAHAH.....good one...

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    Originally posted by MAQROLL View Post
    I'm a huge Red Sox fan, and when they won the World Series, I was out in the streets whooping it up. People had drums, and whistles. I was going to buy some flares and light them up and just run around with them (carefully of course). How would police react this, typically? Is it illegal? Or discouraged?
    Kind of reminds me of the kid who thought it would be funny to launch a bottle rocket from his arse.

It's on youtube if you're interested.

Illegal? Discouraged? No it's just plain stupid...but hey, we've ALL been to stupid calls.

Leave a comment:

• mgshilling
    replied
    The action of lighting flares may not be illegal (at least not here in Ohio), but any officer will look at your actions as a whole, (running around, drinking/drunk, waving a flare around, hooting and hollering, being obnoxious), as disorderly conduct and a risk to yourself and other's safety. You will probably be arrested.

Flares, as mentined above, burn at very high temperatures, they throw hot sparks and they smoke a lot (making everything smell for a long time). Plan ahead and get some sparklers (assuming they are legal there). Sparklers are safer and cheaper. They also burn out faster then a normal drunks attention span.

As far as sports go:
    GO Tribe (in the race for first)
    GO Cavs (Final four- playing detroit tonight!!!)
    GO Buckeyes - Been there Done that several times
    Go Browns (Okay we're hopeful.)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
    To agree with Bearcat a little....cocaine, X, and habitual drinking within the last couple of years is a little more than an "indiscretion."
    So are four affairs, according to my ex…

Leave a comment:

• MAQROLL
    replied
    By the way, I never bought those flares...and I'm 6 months sober. Go Red Sox.

Leave a comment:

• SgtScott31
    replied
    Well, thanks guys. Overall, most of you have been kind and informative, a couple of others mean spirited and insulting, but what can you do? And Bearcat, I can assure you my critical thinking skills are perfectly honed, despite some past indescretions. Kind of a cheap shot there, pal. But you're probably just mad that Northern Virginia has no sports teams. Unless you count the Orioles as a sports team...

To agree with Bearcat a little....cocaine, X, and habitual drinking within the last couple of years is a little more than an "indiscretion."

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    This drug policy that prevails among police departments is generally understandable, but surely some flexibility should be afforded to those applicants who are forthright about past mistakes and display an acceptable degree of cognitive reasoning and enthusiasm for pursuing the profession and turning their lives into something more.
    Not going to happen....as I have only seen a handful of departments (mainly on the west coast) that allow for coke use......and I haven't seen a one that allows prior X use.....especially if you have done it within the last two years......

Further....to ask a question such as "Do you think it's ok to light a flare during a celebration and I am around a bunch of drunks" shows that you still have judgement issues......

Good luck.....but you are going to be hard pressed to find any agency that will allow you to join their ranks......

Leave a comment:

• Taylor1430
    replied
    MAQROLL, With all do respect, you mention growing wiser and regretting past mistakes, however look again at your original post. You are asking on a public board if its illegal to do something that is clearly dangerous. This is much of why you got the response you did. To most cops, running around in a crowd full of people would be foolish, regardless if its illegal or not. Common sense would say "Hmmm...maybe I should not do this because somebody could get hurt". That shows to me that you would lack much of what is needed to handle what comes at us on the streets....and supports what has been said about not becoming an officer. You may be the nicest and caring person in the world, but it is not somebody I would want as my backup or on my platoon.

Leave a comment:

• MAQROLL
    replied
    I understand that based on my past indescretions, I will not have the opportunity to serve as a police officer; a regrettable thing, because I would have dedicated my life to being the best officer I could be, and would have made sure I did my department and fellow officers proud. I come from a family of cops and servicemen. People make mistakes, but those mistakes do not automatically render one useless, even in a law enforcement capacity. My mistakes, if anything, have given me the insight to understand that when opportunities come around, especially as you get older, you appreciate those chances, and in turn make the most of them. This drug policy that prevails among police departments is generally understandable, but surely some flexibility should be afforded to those applicants who are forthright about past mistakes and display an acceptable degree of cognitive reasoning and enthusiasm for pursuing the profession and turning their lives into something more positive. That's an essential element of the American philosophy: Improving yourself and striving to be better even under adverse conditions-societal, financial, beurocratic (this instance), and otherwise.
    Last edited by MAQROLL; 05-27-2007, 06:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    I may be flawed, and done some regrettable things, but if you were dug in a fox hole with me, you'd have an ally defending our ground to the end. That's my measure of "critical thinking."
    Problem is that you will never get that far (as in being my "back-up") in LE or the Military....as we/they don't take folks that have snorted coke.....have used X.....have drank excessively or have gambling problems......especially since some of it has happened within the last couple of years.......

Leave a comment:

• MAQROLL
    replied
    Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Not from what you posted
    (This is your subjective opinion)

.....as I damn sure wouldn't hire you as a LEO

(That's fine, you'll have passed on a guy that would have excelled in the field if given the chance, and based on just local Boston area police scandals, there are a good number of "critical thinkers" who you may have done backflips to hire, who end up selling drugs, doing drugs, running prostitute rings, stealing evidence, intimidating witnesses, assaulting civilians, planting evidence, etc.)

...and I am thinking there are a lot of other folks that won't either...

It's done and dusted, my questions regarding my drug use have been answered respectfully, and I've moved on.

The truth hurts........if you have thin skin on a internet board

I'm just calling you out for a cheap shot; thin skin would be shutting off my computer and crying into my cocoa.

.....you aren't going to make it on the road....but you will never get there for using coke 2 years ago.....

And the daily booze barage that cops engage in doesn't effect their mental faculties...I fact, thats a whole other discussion. 600 people die in drunk driving accidents every day in the US. How many were due to coke, pot or exctasy. As police, PLEASE acknowledge that booze is a far worse scourge on society than pot or coke. You must know that, right?

Nope.....I don't give two craps about NVA not having sports teams because I'm not from here.....nor do I plan on being here for the rest of my life.....
    Fair enough, I've no problem with that.

I may be flawed, and done some regrettable things, but if you were dug in a fox hole with me, you'd have an ally defending our ground to the end. That's my measure of "critical thinking."

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    And Bearcat, I can assure you my critical thinking skills are perfectly honed, despite some past indescretions.
    Not from what you posted.....as I damn sure wouldn't hire you as a LEO....and I am thinking there are a lot of other folks that won't either...

Kind of a cheap shot there, pal.
    The truth hurts........if you have thin skin on a internet board.....you aren't going to make it on the road....but you will never get there for using coke 2 years ago.....

But you're probably just mad that Northern Virginia has no sports teams. Unless you count the Orioles as a sports team...
    Nope.....I don't give two craps about NVA not having sports teams because I'm not from here.....nor do I plan on being here for the rest of my life.....

Leave a comment:

• exComptonCop
    replied
    You are quite welcome

Leave a comment:

• MAQROLL
    replied
    Well, thanks guys. Overall, most of you have been kind and informative, a couple of others mean spirited and insulting, but what can you do? And Bearcat, I can assure you my critical thinking skills are perfectly honed, despite some past indescretions. Kind of a cheap shot there, pal. But you're probably just mad that Northern Virginia has no sports teams. Unless you count the Orioles as a sports team...

Leave a comment:

• firestone88
    replied
    Originally posted by LeanG View Post
    I've stopped using them except at fatality scenes. I've lost some great uniforms because of those things I use my huge traffic cones now. I've got three of them that barely fit in my trunk.
    I never kick them. I pick them up (gently) and toss them against the curb. That usually puts them out. But if they're almost out... then I just leave them there.
    They call me to handle the traffic control at most injury accidents. I keep 20 cones in my truck, but sometimes I don't have enough, and have to resort to using flares. For whatever reason, I'm the only person I know that wears work gloves when lighting flares... I've learned my lesson before, and don't want to deal with that again!!

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5303 users online. 264 members and 5039 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X