300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug use over 20 years ago

My husband has always been interested in the police field but has been hesitant to apply due to his now distant past. He recently decided it's worth a try and has started proceeding in the application process with one position, but we're both curious if we're wasting his (and the hiring panel's) time. His is now 42 and the following were all from his teens, so over 20 years ago:

LSD: Once
    Speed: 5-6 times (It should be noted though that he thought this was LSD each time but is convinced it was speed instead.)
    Ecstasy: Once
    Marijuana: 15-20 times

As I said, this was all over 20 years ago and he hasn't touched a drug since age 19-20, and also now has an active Top Secret security clearance. I realize some states won't accept you if you've ever tried LSD but the states he's applied to thus far are NC and FL, which don't appear to fall into that category. However, it is a large amount of "experimental" uses so your honest opinions would be appreciated!

He should keep the job that he currently has that required his security clearance.

Comment

That would be great if he could, but he was part of a huge layoff last year, thus the new career path. I assume that means you don't think there's a shot?

Comment

• Zeitgeist1
        Zeitgeist1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe the odds are very much against him. I had a clearance as well, it's not relevant in this situation.

Originally posted by JT_7880 View Post
      My husband has always been interested in the police field but has been hesitant to apply due to his now distant past. He recently decided it's worth a try and has started proceeding in the application process with one position, but we're both curious if we're wasting his (and the hiring panel's) time. His is now 42 and the following were all from his teens, so over 20 years ago:

LSD: Once
      Speed: 5-6 times (It should be noted though that he thought this was LSD each time but is convinced it was speed instead.)
      Ecstasy: Once
      Marijuana: 15-20 times

As I said, this was all over 20 years ago and he hasn't touched a drug since age 19-20, and also now has an active Top Secret security clearance. I realize some states won't accept you if you've ever tried LSD but the states he's applied to thus far are NC and FL, which don't appear to fall into that category. However, it is a large amount of "experimental" uses so your honest opinions would be appreciated!
      LSD usage would be a permanent disqualification in MOST departments NATIONWIDE------yep even ONCE

Ecstasy would be a similar response

SO...........he thought he was taking LSD 6 more times but now doesn't think he was..................

Nope he would be toast nearly everywhere

As I said, this was all over 20 years ago and he hasn't touched a drug since age 19-20, and also now has an active Top Secret security clearance.!
      Irrelevant
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

He'd be a permanent DQ just about anywhere. Wasting his, yours and everyone else's time if he kept at it.

Lots of jobs out there, just not this one

Comment

Thank you for all of your feedback. It's helpful, despite not being what he'd like to hear of course. One last related question if anyone can answer: Do the same standards regarding drug use also apply to Park Ranger positions that have a law enforcement component? I assume if the title is Park Police or similar they would, but what about the ones that are titled Park Ranger but require some sort of LE training, POST or similar?

Comment

If it is not dictated by the state, each agency can establish its own level of tolerance for past drug use. He literally need to contact every agency he is interested in and ask them.

Comment

Thank you for all of your feedback. It's helpful, despite not being what he'd like to hear of course. One last related question if anyone can answer: Do the same standards regarding drug use also apply to Park Ranger positions that have a law enforcement component? I assume if the title is Park Police or similar they would, but what about the ones that are titled Park Ranger but require some sort of LE training, POST or similar?
              ANY Law Enforcement position will probably be a problem
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It's outstanding that he's not using drugs anymore but that's some hard core drug use to overlook. Corrections may not be as picky about it though. Has he ever considered Fire and or EMS?

Good luck.

Comment

Pretty quickly I found 2 larger agency's in NC that list 10 years as their barrier to use of schedule 1 drugs. Google is your friend. Didn't bother to check FL. Others noted it was case by case. That said generally use of hallucinogens is not going to go over well whether the drug use policy allows it a long time ago or not.

Comment

LSD will usually be a DQ even if "hard drugs" are overlooked after a certain amount of time.

LSD causes permanent chemical changes in the brain. No one is going to take that risk.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Thanks. 9L81, we also came across the NC agency info you noted and similar for FL. Both states I believe listed 10 years which is why I was asking, since the usage prior to that seemed a grey area. Sounds like the overwhelming consensus is that the LSD usage in particular and also perhaps the ecstasy would be a very likely barrier to employment despite the time elapsed.

Westside pop, thank you for the suggestions, but he's really only interested in police work and especially any LE-related park jobs (like Park Ranger), basically jobs requiring patrol due to the field-based, investigative nature. Looks like he'll need to think of other non-LE avenues that might use the same skills...

Comment

A history of Schedule I controlled substance use is going to be a hurdle in many departments. As has been stated, LSD is frequently a special case lifetime DQ because of the chances of "flashbacks" due to chemical changes in the brain. Some departments may be willing to overlook it given enough time, but others will simply DQ and move on.

Also consider that what we're talking about are minimum standards to be considered for hiring. He would still have to get chosen over other candidates who may not have the same drug background issues. And, to be honest, the drugs are not his only potential issue. At the age of 42, he will find that he's over the max age for many civil service departments (the normal age cutoff where I am for civil service agencies is 35) and some departments will see his age as a hurdle as opposed to a benefit.

The reality is, the only thing he can really do is research various departments and apply to those for which he is qualified if he's determined to get into LE.
                        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

^^^. That’s the thing. It’s not about meeting the minimum qualifications, it’s about why would they hire you instead of someone without that in their past?
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

None of that would be a disqualifier for my agency based on the time frame. I sent you a private chat if you are interested in applying in Oregon.
                            Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5274 users online. 284 members and 4990 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X