300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoCal Age Requirements.......

If this subject has already been brought up and run it's course, Please forgive me.

I would like to know what the age cutoff for some of the Departments In SoCal

I have been in the same industry for 20 years or so, and would like to be home more. I am currently enrolled in an Associates Degree program for CJ and Psychology. Changing course of study would be no problem.

My magic number is 36.

Any response is appreciated.

You say your magic number is 36, is that your current age? My last trainee was 46, so you are younger than he and shouldn't have a problem getting on a department as long as you have a clean background. If I remember correctly (kinda hard, it is 0245hrs right now) the mandatory retirement age is 65, possibly 60, but I'm not sure.

A number of years ago, LAPD hired a 55 year old and he made it through the academy, but couldn't cut it out in the field. A buddy of mine had a 53 year old trainee who didn't make the cut either. My department (LASD) would hire you at the age of 36.
    Carpe Noctem

Comment

Originally posted by RifRaf View Post

You're in SoCal, correct? All you have to do is go to the online HR page of the city you're interested in, and look at their requirements. It's soooo much easier these days. In the early eighties before the internet, I had to call, or present myself in person, just to find out if the agency was hiring

Off the top of my head, the only CA agency I know of with an age cap, is the CHP...there may be others though.
      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

If this subject has already been brought up and run it's course, Please forgive me.

I have been in the same industry for 20 years or so, and would like to be home more. I am currently enrolled in an Associates Degree program for CJ and Psychology. Changing course of study would be no problem.

My magic number is 36.

Any response is appreciated.
        "I have been in the same industry for 20 years or so, and would like to be home more."

That rather caught my eye. Assuming you're successful in getting on with a department, there is no guarantee you'll be home more. The opposite could be true. Keep in mind too, that you're subject to working any shift. This profession is not especially conducive to family life. You're going to miss some birthdays, anniversaries, kid's recitals, ball games, and probably a Christmas or two. Just some thoughts. Hope it works out for you.

Comment

"I have been in the same industry for 20 years or so, and would like to be home more."
          I have to correct myself, I have been in this industry since 18, so that's 18 years.

That rather caught my eye. Assuming you're successful in getting on with a department, there is no guarantee you'll be home more. The opposite could be true. Keep in mind too, that you're subject to working any shift. This profession is not especially conducive to family life. You're going to miss some birthdays, anniversaries, kid's recitals, ball games, and probably a Christmas or two. Just some thoughts. Hope it works out for you.
          Well, I'm a commercial line Driver for UPS and we are kept out for 3 days, back in for 20 hrs and back out for another 2 days. I don't mind working all shifts, and don't mind working overtime.

I do appreciate the comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE View Post
            You say your magic number is 36, is that your current age? My last trainee was 46, so you are younger than he and shouldn't have a problem getting on a department as long as you have a clean background. If I remember correctly (kinda hard, it is 0245hrs right now) the mandatory retirement age is 65, possibly 60, but I'm not sure.

A number of years ago, LAPD hired a 55 year old and he made it through the academy, but couldn't cut it out in the field. A buddy of mine had a 53 year old trainee who didn't make the cut either. My department (LASD) would hire you at the age of 36.
            Yes, I turned 36 on the 20th.

Also, speaking of retirement, is 20 years enough to get a full pension? Where I am at now its to age 62. (it used to be 30 and out).

Comment

Yes, I turned 36 on the 20th.

Also, speaking of retirement, is 20 years enough to get a full pension? Where I am at now its to age 62. (it used to be 30 and out).
              Many departments don't have an age limit on paper, but "other" issues within the process will D.Q. them (physical abilities/problems, background, academy performance, etc...). If you do make it through the process (and 36 isn't that old), if your department is in California's Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS), you need to have 7 years in to be vested. Most LE agencies in the state system require you to be 50+ to begin drawing retirement and there's a formula to the retirement program your jurisdiction has signed on to which gives determines your retirement pay. Example: A department in the 3% @ 50 program (probably the best in the state), if you entered service at age 36 you would could retire at age 50 (the minimum age), but you'd only have 14 years of service credit. If you retired at 56, you'd have 20 years service credit. With 20 years, your retirement check would be roughly 60% of your gross paycheck, averaged out over your last year of service.
              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I have to correct myself, I have been in this industry since 18, so that's 18 years.

Well, I'm a commercial line Driver for UPS and we are kept out for 3 days, back in for 20 hrs and back out for another 2 days. I don't mind working all shifts, and don't mind working overtime.

I do appreciate the comeback.
                Well, they won't be getting some guy who's never been away from home will they? Go for it Man. Good Luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                  Many departments don't have an age limit on paper, but "other" issues within the process will D.Q. them (physical abilities/problems, background, academy performance, etc...). If you do make it through the process (and 36 isn't that old), if your department is in California's Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS), you need to have 7 years in to be vested. Most LE agencies in the state system require you to be 50+ to begin drawing retirement and there's a formula to the retirement program your jurisdiction has signed on to which gives determines your retirement pay. Example: A department in the 3% @ 50 program (probably the best in the state), if you entered service at age 36 you would could retire at age 50 (the minimum age), but you'd only have 14 years of service credit. If you retired at 56, you'd have 20 years service credit. With 20 years, your retirement check would be roughly 60% of your gross paycheck, averaged out over your last year of service.
                  This is what I wanted to know and then some. I'm glad you put in the vesting. 3% is more than my current plan which is 1.75% which is at 62. I was afraid that I might loose in the retirement department by making the switch, but if this is any indication of how the retirement might be if I'm successful, I was totally mistaken.

Thanks for the info.

PhillipCal:
                  Well, they won't be getting some guy who's never been away from home will they? Go for it Man. Good Luck!!
                  No they won't, Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
                    You're in SoCal, correct? All you have to do is go to the online HR page of the city you're interested in, and look at their requirements. It's soooo much easier these days. In the early eighties before the internet, I had to call, or present myself in person, just to find out if the agency was hiring

Off the top of my head, the only CA agency I know of with an age cap, is the CHP...there may be others though.
                    I took your advice and looked up some departments online including CHP which I fell just short. I had to be 35 at the time of the written test. Your correct on the age cap.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5321 users online. 291 members and 5030 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X