300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detective?

Do you have to be a Police Officer before becoming a detective? I never knew. There is a lady in my criminal justice class that wants to be a detective not an officer thats why she is going to school. But i thought that you had to be an officer first.

To be a detective on a police department, you have to work patrol first. Often for many years with a variety of assignments before you're eligible for detective.

Many federal and state agencies will hire agents right out of college, but its a different skill set. And you don't get to go from college grad to lead investigator there either. You still need to earn your stripes.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Thank you for the info. I didnt know.

Comment

Detective

Many agencies will require a minimum of three years in Patrol before an Officer can request a specialized assignment, such as Traffic, Detective, etc.
        Even if an Officer has spent the required time in Patrol, he/she still may not get the requested assignment.

Comment

Depends entirely on the agency. Here in NJ the County Prosecutor's Offices hire some people directly as Detective, and hire some from other Police Agencies..NJ is kinf od "Unique" in most things though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpdpipes View Post
            Depends entirely on the agency. Here in NJ the County Prosecutor's Offices hire some people directly as Detective
            would they still have to go through the academy though?

Comment

Originally posted by ant_kem View Post
              would they still have to go through the academy though?
              Of course, they are certified Police Officers... the only difference is that their Job descriotion says "Detective" rather than "Police Officer". they still have all the same powers, and liabilities as any other cop in NJ.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6185 users online. 353 members and 5832 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X