300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a shine on duty boots

I just bought a pair of Danner Striker 45 GTX's for the Academy. I also purchased some KIWI polish. Can someone on this board give me some suggestions to get a really nice shine on my boots? I have never been in the military, so I don't have that to refer to. I would welcome and appreciate all comments!

Thanks guys

Personally, I use a can of Pledge and one of those shine sponges you get at the Dollar Tree.

But if you want to do it right, check this out:

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/casmr/spitshine.htm

Comment

KIWI + small cotton fiber cloth + Spit, applied to toe and heel, in small concentric circles for at least 30min a boot = shiny boot.
      Put the cloth over your strong hand index and middle finger. Apply kiwi to cloth in pad areas of those two fingers. Hock on top of kiwi. Rub into toe and heel. Repete until high gloss achieved. Good luck, and have patience.
      As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Put a coat of kiwi on your boot with a rag, melt it in with a lighter and rub it in using small circles while dabing the rag on your tounge. dont snag on your boot. it doesnt take a lot of spit. Buy a can of neutral kiwi and do the same after you get a good coat of black. trial and error, you'll figure it out.
        It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Heat the polish to about liquid form (in the cap of the Kiwi) and use 100% cotton balls instead of a rag (in my opinion). Either slightly dip the cotton ball in water or spit on the boot. Focus on the heels and toes.
          I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

KIWI Leather Cuir baby. It's totally cheating, but it looks just fine.

Comment

It just takes some time and effort to build up a good base coat, which is what you really need. If you melt all the Kiwi, it's not going to shine because you're going to burn all the oil out of it. Just take a cotton t-shirt and some Kiwi, and I use cold water. If you want to heat the Kiwi, a heat gun works the best in my opinion. Using a lighter while the kiwi is on the boot is ok too, but I definately wouldn't melt the whole can of kiwi, JMO.

Comment

If you want a real spit-shine, it'll take time. Use a soft damp rag and apply the boot polish a coat at a time. Allow it to dry then buff it. Repeat over and over. Before long the wax will build up.
                "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

We just did a lengthy thread on this one. Do a search for Spit Shine
                  The All New
                  BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                  Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                  - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I've seen it used in the military and in the LE. To get a good shine on boots is to buff with panyhose. Tried it on mine and got the best shine. Of course, my boots were layered with Kiwi and all the dimples where filled in. Then I kept it shined with the pantyhose. Took about a few weeks to get them were I needed them to be.

Good luck and happy shining!!!
                    If you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with.

Comment

I don't think anyone has mentioned this so...FIRST AND FOREMOST..you have to get that waterproofing factory dressing stuff off of your leather or it will not hold polish very well. You can can get a cheap bottle of mineral spirts or alcohol (min. spirits works better) and apply to a rag and rub your boots until almost no black comes off onto the rag anymore. Let the boots dry...preferablly overnight.

Next I use Lincoln wax because unlike Kiwi it does not have all that oily residue in it. I then apply a thick coat of polish and let it dry...5-10 minutes...I then take a hair dryer and blast the boot with hot air...don't do it so much it makes the polish run...just until the polish looks wet for just a second...this is opening the pores of the leather and causing the polish to bond very well. Now buff the boots off with a standard horsehair brush. Now..walk around in your boots for a few minutes causing the leather to flex the excess polish off....now repeat.

I have always been able to get a wicked spit shine on any pair of boots using this method. Labor intensive yes...the first time. After that..you simply apply a light coat of polish each week, melt the wax gently and buff. 10 min tops and you keep a spit shine.

The reason I like lincoln over kiwi is that kiwi also leaves all those smear marks in your boots finish and lincoln does not appear to do that. In the event you get a mark on your boot you can brush it against your pants leg and the mark comes right out leaving you with a spit shine again. Kiwi will leave polish on you if you do this.

Good luck at the academy.
                      "Anyone is capable of anything"

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

-Peter Gibbons
                      Office Space

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                        KIWI Leather Cuir baby. It's totally cheating, but it looks just fine.

KIWI Sponge too
                        Leave Space Empty

Comment

Plus, Lincoln SMELLS so darned good
                          The All New
                          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

So that's the secret! I have been using chocolate bars all these years....
                            10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime. (SgtScott31 jacked this from me, I had it first, but no hard feelings.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ramblinman View Post
                              So that's the secret! I have been using chocolate bars all these years....
                              I used Hershey's with Almonds once and the stupid almonds scratched the heck out of the base coat I had going. I used the lighter/melt method too to get it into the pores and then afterwards made SMORES!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3876 users online. 176 members and 3700 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X