300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning the cops on the accuser.

So one day my dad, my two brothers, and me were at our beach house. We were doing lots of yard work; pressure washing, lawn mowing, chainsawing stuff. Anyways we lots of stuff to do and very little time.

So next door to us is a big house / resort type place where they have lots of weddings. That day there was a wedding and we were making lots of noise. The neighbor came over and said to my dad "can you please be quiet we are having a wedding". My dad said "Sorry but no. We come up here only once every couple of months and we lots of work to do". He left and came back 20 min later and said ''If you don't stop I will call the cops". My dad responded "Okay that is your right to do so". As this is happening my mom is shaking her head in dismay and embarrassment. And I am thinking oh crap my dad is going to jail. About twenty minutes later a cop pulls down our driveway and gets out to talk to my dad. The officer asked my dad to stop and wait for wedding to be over before we start work again. My dad without pausing told the cop "Sir they are using amplified sound outside their building. That is against the ordinances around here. Could you ask them to be quiet"... The cop just stared at my dad and said, "Okay I will do that.. have a great day".
    He left and we started making a lot of noise again.

That day I was so proud of my dad. And knew that knowing the law is probably one of the best weapons I could have.

Has anyone else had a similar story as a civilian or LEO.

Chris

If I was in that situation I would have been real proud of my dad if he would have said "sure officer, I will try and be more quiet. Although I don't get out here much and I would like to complete some work I will take in consideration that the family next door is trying to celebrate a marriage so I will try and keep the noise down so they can enjoy themselves." That is what a considerate neighbor would have done vs. a neighbor who likes to put himself first.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

The cop just stared at my dad and said, "Okay I will do that.. have a great day".
      The cop just stared at my dad and thought, "Okay, you're a tool."

You get up their every couple of months. Those people are going to get married, what? four or five times tops? You couldn't do any of your quiet work for an hour and then get the noisy stuff out again?
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Wow, you dad really got over on that silly cop. What was he thinking, asking you not to disturb the peace for a little bit while some folks get married. The nerve of some people to want quiet while they are getting married. Shame on them.
        It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Actually, I somewhat agree with the OP. Its mentioned that its a resort that rents out to weddings. So, when do you ever get any of your yard work done if there are weddings every weekend?

This is something we have very frequently where I work. Restaurants and bars with outdoor bands. The residents put up with the noise frequently. Then one day the a homeowner decides to have their own party..then the restaurant is calling about the resident being loud.

The reason I partially agree with the OP is at some point you need the opportunity to do work in your own yard. If this resort is having a multiple weddings or events a week, at what point are you allowed to mow your lawn? Had this been a one-time deal, I'd say do the right thing and let the newlyweds have their day uninterupted. But, if this is an every day ordeal.............

As for your father, he did not need to tell the officer how to do his job. If your dad has a legit complaint about the noise coming from the resort, then there is a tactful way to tell the officer your complaint.
          Last edited by Taylor1430; 05-23-2007, 11:05 AM.

Comment

The nerve of some people wanting to get married and not have a chainsaw for background music. I'm sure they were video taping the wedding so a little time out on the chainsaw and power washer I don't think was too much to ask.
            "The cop just stared at my dad and said, OK I'll do that. Have a great day." Wow what a great guy your dad. I'd be real proud that my dad would rather keep running a chainsaw and power washer and then want a wedding to turn down their music so you can get your precious yard work done.
            "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Seems to me, you thought they were being rude asking your dad to hold the noise down. Seems to me they thought you were being rude running chain saws and such while they were doing a wedding. Seems to me, if you live next to a place that holds weddings, and you are only there once every couple months, and they are there all the time, you are the rude ones. If you can afford to own a house no one lives in save for a couple days every couple months, you could afford to have someone do the yardwork during the week, when no one expects peace and quiet.
              As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

When you take your pontoon boat out on the lake and a few hours later you start sinking because someone drilled a couple liiiiiitle tiny holes in your pontoons, you'll know why. When you're a weekender, at the most, you should do your best not to **** off the locals.

Comment

While I can see that you're impressed with the "Stand your ground" lesson given by your dad, I would have been more impressed if he'd taught you something about responding in a civil and neighborly manner to a civil and neighborly request. People who do that have a lot fewer visits by the police and have much better relationships with their neighbors.
                  "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

How far away from the wedding were they? If they were right on top of them, then maybe they could have cut the noise for a while, but they certainly didn't HAVE to.

If there was adequate distance, then have the DJ turn up the volume.

Just because you're getting married doesn't mean that you run the town. It rained and dropped to 35 degrees in early September when I got married. I didn't call the cops asking them to change the weather.
                    What Delta said x2

Comment

Thank God your father was armed with knowledge of the law, otherwise who knows how this could have turned out..

Comment

I am willing to be that we would all be "whoo hoo way to show them"...To me part of being part of society is making sacrifices to others. A cottage is a many time affair...A wedding(if you are not a cop) is supposed to be a once in a life time. The fact that your Dad was to selfish to "help" the new couple says a lot for his character....The fact that you are cheering him on says the same about your character.

Cervelo

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                          Thank God your father was armed with knowledge of the law, otherwise who knows how this could have turned out..
                          HA HA HA HA HA That's funny!
                          "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Too bad your dad didnt give you a lesson in thinking of others. Way to go dad on the lesson of selfishness. I hope you dont plan on emulating your father. I'll bet he's one of those guys who says, "OK kids, see that cop? If you dont behave he's going to arrest you". I wish the band at my wedding would have included a chainsaw and powerwasher. Nice touch.
                            John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor1430 View Post
                              Actually, I somewhat agree with the OP. Its mentioned that its a resort that rents out to weddings. So, when do you ever get any of your yard work done if there are weddings every weekend?
                              That's how I look at it.

How many weekends in a row are they going to have functions there.....and when are they going to be happy with you cleaning up and using YOUR place.....??

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4424 users online. 234 members and 4190 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X