300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio/Driving Question

I noticed a lot of officers drive w/their front windows completely down...

I was wondering how this affects their ability to hear the radio calls when driving at high speed... Can you still hear the radio because it's right next to your ear (those that wear it on their shoulder), or do you just crank up the volume really loud?

Also, when you talk on the radio, how can the dispatcher understand you w/all the wind noise driving w/the window down at 50mph?

Just curious.......

I usually drive with the windows up myself, 110 degrees kinda warrants it, but on the cooler days - with the window down, I usually turn up the volume up just a little. Listening to the radio so much, your ears become fine tuned to the way it sounds. I can hear it normally, even when blasting ACDC.
    Using the portable mic in the car is a no-no, if you try and talk over the car radio with the portable on, the radio will scream with feedback....ouch....

Disatchers are used to listening to everyone all day, and many times can understand what you are saying - except when you cut yourself off. Even if they don't understand what you are saying in a particular transmission, they'll play it back and listen to what you said again, since every transmission is digitally recorded.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

I ride with windows down unless its freezing outside. I do this so I can hear whats going on outside the car better. You get the radio ear after awhile, you can listen to police radio, car radio, and surrounding noise all at once. Basically its like your scanning it and something keys up your brain when something out of ordinary happens or you get radio traffic.
      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

When looking for activity (25 mph), I leave the window down. If I'm en route to a call, it goes up so I can drive faster and hear the radio.
        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Usually roll them up when going faster.

Comment

I like to leave my window down or cracked when I'm patrolling through neighborhoods or commercial areas at night. It lets me hear whats going on a whole lot better than leaving the window up.

When I get above 50mph I roll it up because I don't like the howling wind in my ear. The reason the dispatcher can understand us is because she listens to us twelve+ hours everyday we work. Also, there isn't much wind noise feeding into the mike despite the rolled down window.

Comment

Higher speeds = windows rolled up.
              John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by JDCOP View Post
                I ride with windows down unless its freezing outside. I do this so I can hear whats going on outside the car better. You get the radio ear after awhile, you can listen to police radio, car radio, and surrounding noise all at once. Basically its like your scanning it and something keys up your brain when something out of ordinary happens or you get radio traffic.
                Same here! At higher speeds I will usually roll the windows up though.
                "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

I only roll the window down at the drive thru or when I am in a neighborhood and actually wanting to do work, which is rare.
                  It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Originally posted by AZLawDawg View Post
                    Using the portable mic in the car is a no-no, if you try and talk over the car radio with the portable on, the radio will scream with feedback....ouch.....
                    I use an earpiece which allows me to leave my portable on the entire shift and there's no feedback when you key your vehicle radio. When you're in the car you can hear the patrol radio in stereo, so unless you're daydreaming, there's no chance of not hearing the call. I typically leave the windows down, unless running code or it's raining. I do have the car stereo on, but my second phase trainer was the type that ONLY has the patrol radio on. He even does it when he's not training.

Comment

My windows are always open, no matter if it's pouring outside. It's a habit I've had since I started driving. I can hear my callsign in my sleep, too.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not really into listening to the AM/FM radio while I'm working. I like to concentrate on the job, and listen to the tunes on the way home. Kind of something to look forward to, but perhaps that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by flydream777 View Post
                        I noticed a lot of officers drive w/their front windows completely down...

I was wondering how this affects their ability to hear the radio calls when driving at high speed... Can you still hear the radio because it's right next to your ear (those that wear it on their shoulder), or do you just crank up the volume really loud?

Also, when you talk on the radio, how can the dispatcher understand you w/all the wind noise driving w/the window down at 50mph?

Just curious.......
                        I usually drive with the windows down, mostly because pretty much all of the streets in my jurisdiction are 35mph or less and it doesn't affect my radio communication. However I roll them up when I exceed that or am in pursuit of a vehicle and accelerating. That is what the A/C is for. Even though I drive an Impala and it sucks the power.

Comment

Windows down at slower speeds. AM/FM radio on slightly lower volume then patrol radio. Our radio gives a short beep when the primary channel is called. As others have said " after a while you get the next best thing to radio ESP. You will hear your dispatcher or fellow officers (even with the radio off).

The worse thing I've come across is that I forget that I've been turning the radio and portable up (so you can hear it over the stereo). At about that time the Fire department tones out and I get high pitched tones in both ears almost sending me into the ditch. <(( ))>

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3168 users online. 151 members and 3017 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X