300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelter in place order

Hello all, are police stopping people to check for shelter in place orders and asking why are you away from your home and if they are doing something they think is essential. also are police taking them to jail or giving them a ticket if a LEO thinks they are not doing something essential

Originally posted by roadrunner5877 View Post
    Hello all, are police stopping people to check for shelter in place orders and asking why are you away from your home and if they are doing something they think is essential. also are police taking them to jail or giving them a ticket if a LEO thinks they are not doing something essential
    We are not arresting for ANYTHING that is not violent.

Nor are we being proactive in traffic stops
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I hope police are still arresting drunk drivers

Comment

I'm in California, where we are all supposed to be sheltered in place and non-essential businesses are supposed to close. I drove 60 miles Friday for food in a major metro area. While the freeways were not clogged as usual, there were a considerable number of people out and no one was being stopped.

Many officers are reserving in person contact to the most egregious offenses.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

if we in Minnesota get a shelter in place order not much will change for me. I only go out to run errands anyway to do essential things as far as I know I think your allowed to sit outside in your yard if the weather is nice

Comment

They defied the shelter-in-place order...
            T687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f6467646a5452712e6a7067?s=fit&h=360&w=360&q=80.jpg
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Think about your question for a moment. Cop sees someone walking or driving down the street, stops that person, approaches within a couple of feet, requests identification, handles documents from the person's pocket or wallet, conducts an interview to determine the purpose of that person's business at that place and time. Cop does the same thing multiple times over the course of a shift, then the cop goes home CARRYING ALL THE TRANSMITTABLE VIRUS TO HIS HOME AND FAMILY.

There! Now you have thought about it for a moment, which is a lot more than any politician did before the shelter in place order was given.

We might want to believe in the concept of duty above self, and that is a laudable attribute in any public servant. The reality is that most cops care about their families, wives, husbands, children, parents, grandparents, etc, a whole lot more than they care about why some bozo is possibly violating a shelter in place order.

Law-abiding people comply with the law. Criminals ignore the law. Cops want to get home safely every day and avoid danger for their loved ones.

I was a cop back in the early 1970's when we received mandatory training for Civil Defense in the event of nuclear war. When the instructor stated that cops would be expected to remain on duty to facilitate evacuation of the civilian population one or two guys questioned how anyone could expect the cops to ignore their own families, especially when we had emergency vehicles and firearms to aid in their evacuation. Never did get a good answer to those questions.

Reality is not for politicians or those who rely on recreational drugs for enlightenment.

Comment

I hope police are still arresting drunk drivers
                To be honest, we might not here.

You CAN issue a summons for misdemeanor DUI/ DWAI in Colorado and take the person home after the blood/breath test.

...but an obvious DUI or enormously excessive speed are about the only things we're stopping for, "careless" and "reckless" type stuff, and we're spending most of our time sitting in our cars in the parking lot waiting for calls so we're not really even doing much of that.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I guess the Mayor will be issuing a shelter in place order shortly for my city. I have no idea how we're expected to handle it as police, but I'm guessing enforcement will only happen if the order is violated on a large scale.. say a house party, car club, or large event. Not to mention we have a massive homeless population who are permitted to camp in public places. How are we supposed to enforce shelter-in-place on them? I think the shelter-in-place orders are mostly to offer guidance to the people who are willing to follow the rules. It's not so much an enforcement tool.

Comment

I think stopping someone for merely walking around or driving, to me makes any Officer uncomfortable. Not just because of health issues, but 4th Amendment issues, and wondering "will the city/state have my back for enforcing their own shelter-in-place orders?"

Many states have suspended court appearances this spring, therefore, all current cases on the docket are getting pushed ahead to the summer, and new cases will be placed where, in the fall? In some counties across the country, I have heard jails releasing inmates, so will those violating shelter in place orders take precedence over other crimes, such as drug or property crimes?

I think most will handle this with voluntary compliance, and only citations to be issued. But there will be some interesting case law when this is all said and done.

John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Couldn't get a neighboring county to extradite my warrant arrest last week from a traffic stop.

I said it's your lucky day ******bag, don't let me catch you again because I'll drive your *** there myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post
                        Couldn't get a neighboring county to extradite my warrant arrest last week from a traffic stop.

I said it's your lucky day ******bag, don't let me catch you again because I'll drive your *** there myself.
                        It's happening all over .
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Yep, our jail just put out today they will only take felonies and violent misdemeanors.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                            Yep, our jail just put out today they will only take felonies and violent misdemeanors.
                            We have been doing that for a week. Last night there was an incident ............deputy came over the air saying they were arresting a guy for intoxication and that it had been approved by the Chief Deputy in case the jail complained.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                              I had a massive fight with my jail last weekend over incarcerating a DV who claimed to have a "cough." I won, but it took much more time than it should have.
                              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7767 users online. 445 members and 7322 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X