300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it me, or is it Texas?

A detective from the Chicago area, I stopped by a decent-sized Texas city police department to meet some fellow cops and maybe trade a few patches. I was told they don't trade patches any more and was shown the door. So I stopped by the county sherrif's police, and got the same cold shoulder.

Now, I don't even collect patches for myself, but it's a good way to meet other officers, breaks the ice, and I bring the patches back to some of the guys on my shift who do collect patches.

So I've been all over the world, and almost any place I visit I stop in to say and hi and swap patches... Germany, the Carribean, Canada, and lots of place in the US. Met a lot of great guys and girls doing the same job I'm doing.

So what's the deal with the cold shoulder in Texas??? Anyone got any insight?

And I should add, both of these agencies have their patches all over eBay. So it's not like they're being rationed.

Comment

Sounds weird, the only thing I can say is I spent 9 months in Northeast Texas (don't know where you were) and I actually went to work for the county sheriff as a jailer (they did not recognize out of state POST certification) and all contact with the sheriff's office personnel and local police dept personnel was pleasurable, everyone was polite and helpful at every turn, maybe you caught them on a bad day. Stay Safe
      law dog

Comment

It would be my guess that the reason they stopped trading patches is because they are all over eBAY...too many people making money off a gesture of good will.

Comment

Yeah, it wasn't even the lack of trading patches so much as the (at least percieved by me) cold shoulder. One of the things I love about what we do is the inherent fraternity.

For the record, I love Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Is Blue View Post
            Yeah, it wasn't even the lack of trading patches so much as the (at least percieved by me) cold shoulder. One of the things I love about what we do is the inherent fraternity.

For the record, I love Texas.
            I don't trade, but I know when I went to the TX DARE convention, there were several officers trading, and I think they even had a set time and place set up to do it. So, there's still traders around in Texas. There may be policies against it in the major cities, though.

Our department has a display, but most of them are surrounding small agencies. I would like to see it done well, but I don't think I'm the guy to do it.
            If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

patches

I'll send you a message, I've got some patches if you want them.

Comment

We don't trade our patches either, but we try to be nice about it.

Comment

Shoot, down here in the Houston, southeast area we trade patches. PM me and I'll put you in touch with a guy I know who loves to trade patches.
                  Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2913 users online. 171 members and 2742 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X