300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long have you been with your agency

I'm just curious what the percentage is of LEO'S that lateral to another department from the one that they originally started with. What are the pros and cons in doing so? I guess for the pros I can see advancement in opportunities, more pay, etc, but as far as the cons go, I'm thinking that the LEO would lose any kind of seniority that they had. Just curious what the main motives are that make LEO's lateral...

Originally posted by JLH81 View Post
    I'm just curious what the percentage is of LEO'S that lateral to another department from the one that they originally started with. What are the pros and cons in doing so? I guess for the pros I can see advancement in opportunities, more pay, etc, but as far as the cons go, I'm thinking that the LEO would lose any kind of seniority that they had. Just curious what the main motives are that make LEO's lateral...
    You have pretty much hit both. I moved because the pay/benefits/retirement are much better and also there is more opportunity in an agency that has 650 sworn compared to 36 sworn. The cons are a 6 month academy though I am already state certified and I was a detective for 2.5 years and a patrol Sergeant for 2 years and I had to start all over to "rookie" status
    "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

Originally posted by JLH81 View Post
      Just curious what the main motives are that make LEO's lateral...
      These were a few that motivated me...

shorter commute, better pay, more specialty details, better pay, better tech/equipment, better pay, room for advancement, and better pay

Six years my first PD, three years my second, three years my third
      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

4 years, and 4 in prior job.. 8 years total LE experience

Comment

I worked DOC for seven years before going to DPS. I've been with DPS 2 1/2 years and plan on being here until I retire.

Comment

Well lets see

1.5 with a small Sheriff's Office to get certified.
            2.5 with a small PD for better pay, better benefits, better schedual, more learning opportunities.
            Now 5 months with PD Chief who became Sheriff as his road sgt. More pay, better schedual, less opportunites though.

With in the next year though I will likely be moving on to our state patrol. MUCH better pay, better opportunites, state health and state retirement. Plus my soon to be wife who is an MA/CNA will have a better pay scale elsewhere.
            Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
            I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
            Originally posted by weinerdog2000
            as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

I went from a liberal big ten university to a sheriff's department. Due to transfer I had to take a small pay decrease and a very large decrease in benefits.
              I also don't have to deal with the bleeding heart worthless professors. I don't have to coddle kids and staff. I don't have to drive around making lists of street lamp posts in which the bulbs are burned out. I don't have to drive around parking lots checking cars. I don't have to do a minimum of 7 building checks which includes checking every door in the building. And I don't have, for the most part, to deal with college students who think they are the intellectuals of the world but in all reality they have absolutely no common sense what so ever. Another bad thing was neighboring departments. They viewed us as rent a cops and it sure showed. Very uncool. I once witnessed a massive traffic crash in which the driver struck about seven cars and she was drunk. The accident happened within the university area but on a city street. Officer showed up from the city. I started to tell him what I saw and his response was "yea, whatever. I can figure it out myself". Told this veteran to pound salt and I split.

Now. On the Sheriff's department. I get to patrol. I don't have to beg to take the radar out to do enforcement. I get to go to homocides, domestics, car chases, traffic stops. If I see enforcement action that needs taken I get to address it without being concerned about stepping on toes.

There is alot more to benefits then bonus pay and healthcare!
              Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

12 years on the job in Newark, NJ, 22 years with the Sheriff's Office in Orlando. I don't miss the snow, or working accidents.

Comment

8 years total, 2 at my current position. And I moved for the $10K a year raise, the education benefits were better, the yearly raises were better, the department was larger, the take home car, the health benefits were better, the chance for advancement was better, and I despised the Chief at my former place of employment. LOL. Yes, I gave up the time in grade, but it was WELL worth it.
                  sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

15 years one department. Thought about moving but the idea of starting over at the bottom was just to much.
                    A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

17 years

17 years with the same dept. My advice, look at your options and try to get hired with the deptartment that you can stay with until you get your 20 or 25 in. I wanted to be a state trooper and thats what I strived for, I will be here until I make the 20 year mark or more. The bigger the agency the better chances for advancement, training, pay? ect.The bigger the agency the more you are likely to spend alot of time away from home. It comes down to your personnal situation

Comment

Seven years....................
                        John 3:16

Comment

Two years with my first PD

Four years with my second PD

Fourteen years my current PD

Comment

Serving Since 1996. Thats what the little name plate thingy they gave me says.
                            It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

2 years as a reserve with big city department and the past 17 and change with current large county department.

Had a buddy I went to the academy with who left our department after 15 years and went to a smaller municipal PD in the same general area. He loves the "small city" feel and the support his department gets from a supportive community that is much smaller than a whole county. But, he does miss the freedom of moving around from city to city that the county offered him
                              Carpe Noctem

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4640 users online. 258 members and 4382 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X