300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Fingerprints

My wife and I were watching True Detective Season 3 and we got into a debate about something.

A young girl goes missing in the show, and then reappears 10 years later when her fingerprints are identified at the scene of a robbery. We asked ourselves how was it possible that they had this girls fingerprints in a database to match in the first place? They didn't offer any explanation as part of the show.

We considered two options: She had them done as was somewhat common for parents to do for kids in the 80's. Or they dusted the girls room and established prints that way? The debate we had was...is that possible? Can you establish a set of prints in that way? Or does it have to be an established ink set of fingerprints?

You don't need rolled prints. I doubt if they are going to fill a 10 card by dusting a room, but they could probably get a classifiable print or two off objects in the room or around the house.

Comment

Originally posted by iconoclaste View Post
      My wife and I were watching True Detective Season 3 and we got into a debate about something.

A young girl goes missing in the show, and then reappears 10 years later when her fingerprints are identified at the scene of a robbery. We asked ourselves how was it possible that they had this girls fingerprints in a database to match in the first place? They didn't offer any explanation as part of the show.

We considered two options: She had them done as was somewhat common for parents to do for kids in the 80's. Or they dusted the girls room and established prints that way? The debate we had was...is that possible? Can you establish a set of prints in that way? Or does it have to be an established ink set of fingerprints?
      Many children are fingerprinted in schools and other programs. A very popular program around my area invites parents to bring children in to get printed & sends the card home with the parents. In the case of need (child goes lost, bad accident, etc) the parent can turn the card over to LE for use.

I have participated in some of these programs for years
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I took both of my sons to my station about 40 years ago and fingerprinted them...I still have the print cards.
        Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Many children are fingerprinted in schools and other programs. A very popular program around my area invites parents to bring children in to get printed & sends the card home with the parents. In the case of need (child goes lost, bad accident, etc) the parent can turn the card over to LE for use.

I have participated in some of these programs for years
          I was a small town chief. We regularly fingerprinted children and provided the cards to parents. Started in the elementary school, printing a hundred or more in a day, then did the new kids every year. Parents could also bring kids to the station for fingerprints.

Easy and inexpensive public service program with great PR value in the community.

Comment

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I used to do that whenever I encountered parents with small children at the station. The parents appreciated it, and the kids had fun doing it.

Kids make whole handprints in art class.

Comment

We've actually seen a little push back against these voluntary programs in the last few years. Someone started the rumor that the government was collecting fingerprint information on children and a lot of ill-informed parents became worried and refused to let their children take part. I know of several agencies that provide home identification kits with single-use ink cards that parents can do themselves and retain the information in a safe location, only providing the card to law enforcement in the event it's needed.

Comment

Originally posted by DD312 View Post
              We've actually seen a little push back against these voluntary programs in the last few years. Someone started the rumor that the government was collecting fingerprint information on children and a lot of ill-informed parents became worried and refused to let their children take part. I know of several agencies that provide home identification kits with single-use ink cards that parents can do themselves and retain the information in a safe location, only providing the card to law enforcement in the event it's needed.
              I can only imagine that THOSE prints are of the highest quality...
              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I remember back when I was probably in the first grade. All the kids in the class were fingerprinted by the local PD. The officers came to the school and handled it all right there along with a DARE presentation.

As a kid we all thought it was pretty cool, as I grew older I realized they were getting all of our prints into their database so cases like in the show that you watched could be solved.

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyMan View Post
                  I remember back when I was probably in the first grade. All the kids in the class were fingerprinted by the local PD. The officers came to the school and handled it all right there along with a DARE presentation.

As a kid we all thought it was pretty cool, as I grew older I realized they were getting all of our prints into their database so cases like in the show that you watched could be solved.
                  The programs I have been with have always turned the fingerprint cards over to the parents
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by DD312 View Post
                    Which is both true: there is some pushback these days, and completely stupid: we give the cards to the parents and don't record them.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8665 users online. 479 members and 8186 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X