300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books to read??

Does anyone have any books that they recommend to someone interested in law enforcement? Books covering any topic related to law enforcement would be great.

Thanks

The book of Proverbs in the Bible.

Comment

Books to Read

Your post didn't specify whether or not you wanted technical books on Police subjects, or just good books about cops. If the latter is your choice, I personally recommend any book by former LAPD Sergeant Joseph Wambaugh.

1), New Centurions
      2). Choir Boys
      3). Onion Field (True story).
      4). Glitter Dome
      5). The Blooding. (True Story)
      6). Lines and Shadows
      Wambaugh isn't the only author who writes great cop books, he's my favorite though. For more technical/tactical reading, do a Google Search. Any decent library should also have some good books on law enforcement.

Comment

Any James Lee Burke books.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          Your post didn't specify whether or not you wanted technical books on Police subjects, or just good books about cops. If the latter is your choice, I personally recommend any book by former LAPD Sergeant Joseph Wambaugh.

1), New Centurions
          2). Choir Boys
          3). Onion Field (True story).
          4). Glitter Dome
          5). The Blooding. (True Story)
          6). Lines and Shadows
          Wambaugh isn't the only author who writes great cop books, he's my favorite though. For more technical/tactical reading, do a Google Search. Any decent library should also have some good books on law enforcement.
          The above are excellent selections. I'd add to the list the below non-fiction:
          1) The Anatomy of Motive (John Douglas/Mark Olshaker)
          2) Blue Blood (Edward Conlon)
          3) Official Negligence (Lou Cannon)
          4) Homicide Special (Miles Corwin)
          5) The Killing Season (Miles Corwin)
          6) Small Sacrifices (Ann Rule)
          7) Helter Skelter (Vincent Bugliosi)
          8) On Killing (Lt. Col. Dave Grossman)
          Last edited by pulicords; 05-20-2007, 03:50 PM.
          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Thanks. So If I go into Barnes & Noble, where exactly would I look to find these books?

Comment

Surviving Street Patrol: The Officer's Guide to Safe and Effective Policing by Steve Albrecht

Force Under Pressure: How Cops Live and Why They Die by Lawrence Blum

Barnes and Noble may carry them in the store, but you can find them all at their website or at amazon.com
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by JKOSU View Post
                Thanks. So If I go into Barnes & Noble, where exactly would I look to find these books?
                You don't know how to find these books at a Barnes and Noble? Maybe you should start rethinking your law enforcement career.
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

"Constitutional Law" by Klotter and Kanovitz

"Briefs of Leading Cases in Law Enforcement" by can't remember.

Comment

If your looking for a historical perspective on law enforcement, I suggest the following books,

Commissioner Roosevelt by H. Paul Jeffers
                    Slave Patrols by Sally E. Hadden
                    Keeping the Peace by Robert A. Harvie

I used all of these in my college class and they gave an outstanding overview of how law enforcement has changed over the years.

Comment

The Street Survival series. Some of the tactics are bit dated in the older books, but the underlying principles are rock solid.

On Killing and On Combat by Lt Col Grossman. These should be required reading at all academies.
                      Originally posted by kontemplerande
                      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by JKOSU View Post

There are people that work there....and that is their job. Im sure if you ask them they will know.

Comment

You don't need those unhelpful people at Barnes and Noble....Just go to www.half.com and order your books there. Much cheaper and a man will bring the books right to your house.

Comment

I hear this guy has some really good books!

(See signature below)
                            The All New
                            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Anything by Plato or Aristotle. The classics have much to offer if you give 'em a chance.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2972 users online. 159 members and 2813 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X