Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for a take home vehicle

Hello Officers,

My fiance just received his take home car. I'm extremely proud of him and would like to get him something to put in his car, could be a "tool of the trade" or something funny...all ideas would be appreciated! Perhaps something of convenience for so many hours in the car.

He's a jokester, a huge Howard Stern and Miami Dolphins fan. He's already branded the back seat divider with a Dolphins sticker.

Please send over your ideas...
    Greatly appreciated,
    Lizz

Originally posted by closgirl View Post
    Hello Officers,

My fiance just received his take home car. I'm extremely proud of him and would like to get him something to put in his car, could be a "tool of the trade" or something funny...all ideas would be appreciated! Perhaps something of convenience for so many hours in the car.

He's a jokester, a huge Howard Stern and Miami Dolphins fan. He's already branded the back seat divider with a Dolphins sticker.

Greatly appreciated,
    Lizz
    One of the many "organizers" might be appreciated. They didn't have them when I was on the street and my gear would always go flying everywhere whenever I had to step on the gas - or just brake hard. There are some really clever designs now and you can find them in just about any price range at many of the cop shops on the Web. They're more than just "neatnik" items - they're safety items.

Otherwise, does he have GPS installed, and if not, could he use it? Something in that line would be pricier than an organizer, of course, but might be a useful toy.

I also know one copper who added a rear-viewing camera...not for the usual purpose of "backing-up safety", either. And, in some places where coverage is spotty, an external cell antenna/booster kit is just the ticket.

The last suggestion I would have is a rain-gutter attachment kit that lets you crack your windows when it's raining without getting drenched. To this day, now long gone from the streets, I cannot drive anywhere without cracking the windows. Still listening for breaking glass, screams and gunshots, I guess...
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-19-2007, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Hey Thanks!

All excellent ideas right up my alley...I just love the rear-view camera idea. Do you mean for viewing the back seat?

He doesn't have GPS, but he des have a laptop with mapping software. I'll keep that in mind perhaps for Christmas.

Thanks again for the great ideas!

Comment

All excellent ideas right up my alley...I just love the rear-view camera idea. Do you mean for viewing the back seat?

He doesn't have GPS, but he des have a laptop with mapping software. I'll keep that in mind perhaps for Christmas.

Thanks again for the great ideas!

Comment

Yes - it views the back seat and is low-light so it's very viewable under normal nighttime ambient conditions as well.

Regarding the GPS: If he already has a laptop with mapping software, I believe you can add the GPS capabilities. You would need the GPS antenna and (I think) a card, but you can check that out with folks like Garmin at http://www.garmin.com.

When you feel like busting the bank (they're not that bad, really), I think we should be equipping every cruiser with satellite phones, too. Someone at DHS talked about it for awhile. This involves purchasing the phone, of course (looks like a cell phone on steroids) - or, you can rent them - and getting a service contract. For limited, sporadic use the contracts are even coming down in price.
          Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-19-2007, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your time Sec, you're full of great ideas! He loves driving with the windows open too...I'll put those on the list for sure!

Comment

Thanks for your time Sec, you're full of great ideas! He loves driving with the windows open too...I'll put those on the list for sure!
              If the window rain deflectors trip your trigger, check them out at WeatherTech.

Comment

a sirius radio for the car (if no radio, add one)...

(that's what I did for mine... had a radio in it)

trunk box organizer
                large / heated coffee cup (non spill type)
                GPS
                ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                -- John Wayne

Comment

A nicely equipped video camera or Ar-15 would be nice if he doesn't have one!!
                  FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Ideas for a take home vehicle

Lizz,

Since he is a Howard Stern fan and likes football, you may want to look into a Sirius satellite radio for his vehicle. I also agree with the GPS idea, but I understand that he might not need it since they having mapping computers. Otherwide it might be worth looking into this
                    http://www.xactcommunication.com/NAV...ystem-114.html
                    It is a combination GPS and Sirius receiver. Actually, even with the mapping system in the take home car, it might be worth looking into this anyway for when he is off-duty and wants to uise it in his personal vehicle.
                    Last edited by Jim1648; 05-20-2007, 12:01 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Sirius...check!

Yes, you are all on the money with Sirius. I gave it to him for Christmas and he listens to it literally every moment he is awake.

Thank you all for your ideas, your time is greatly appreciated!

Comment

Hello Officers,

Greatly appreciated,
                        Lizz
                        How about one of those little calendars with the naked girls on them?

Comment

A seat organizer is a great idea and it is very handy. There are alot of nice patrol bags out there that hold pretty much everything.
                          It is very practical when it comes to saving time from running back and forth to the station and it keeps the squad uncluttered and for the most part you can fit everything that you use daily in it.
                          As far as the radio goes I have xm but I like to listen to baseball.
                          Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

A bottle of motrin.
                            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

How about a good bumper sticker?
                              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5430 users online. 333 members and 5097 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X