300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Country

When travelling to a foreign country do any of you take your badge and ID with you or do you leave it at home? I will be in Europe for a few weeks and am simply interested in knowing if there are any valid reasons to carry this identification abroad. Thanks in advance.

No valid job reason.....but can help you to discover great local restaurants and pubs.....bring some patches and maybe a ball cap or two. Just don't go flashing it all over, just at the right time to the local cops.

Comment

What part of Europe and no, I wouldn't take my badge, but I keep my creds with me all the time...then again, I haven't traveled to Europe since I'm been in LE
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Foreign Country

No problem with taking your badge. As previously posted, don't go flashing it around. Also agree with the suggestion to take some patches, ball caps if you can.

Comment

I brought my ID and some patches to France a couple years ago. The cops there were great! One of them took me around the station, introduced me around and you wouldn't believe the badges, patches and other stuff they gave me. I felt guilty about not having brought more to give in return and sent a "Care Package" via Fedex or UPS upon my return to the U.S. What a PITA! In the future I'll always bring more stuff to give away.
          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I have three boys and umteen sporting equipment bills. So I guess if you consider Ohio a foreign country, then Yes I do! (Nothing against Ohio) LOL
            "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Agree with the posts. Basically, I would say it depends on the country you are traveling to. Most of Europe probably ok. Mexico no.

Comment

I didn't when I went to Italy. I don't care anything about patch swapping and I can't think of anything I'd want my badge for. I also don't feel comfortable carrying a badge with no firearm, either.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I did in England and France, and like the above posters said, the cops in both countries were great, very friendly. The French cop I ran across spoke decent english, so it worked out.

Comment

Leave badge at home but bring a lot of patches.

If you go to former eastern block countries their cops is very different.

Comment

If you don't have patches, go to your Public Affairs Officer and see what kind of Department stamped give aways you can load up on (pins, stickers, bicycle blinky lights, wrist slappers, t-shirts, key chains, etc.) Also check with your local State Police barracks PAO and see what kind of give aways they are overloaded on and can share with you. They will do wonders to be passed out to officers or for their kids as small thank you tokens for station tours, directions around the city, etc.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                        If you don't have patches, go to your Public Affairs Officer and see what kind of Department stamped give aways you can load up on (pins, stickers, bicycle blinky lights, wrist slappers, t-shirts, key chains, etc.) Also check with your local State Police barracks PAO and see what kind of give aways they are overloaded on and can share with you. They will do wonders to be passed out to officers or for their kids as small thank you tokens for station tours, directions around the city, etc.
                        I couldn’t agree more. Exercise a measure of caution as you would back home. Remember that in most cases the language and uniform may be different, but it is the brother and sisterhood of the badge.
                        Originally posted by SSD
                        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3092 users online. 152 members and 2940 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X