300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalking?

A female resident in my apartment complex has been violating the lease in the parking lot near my apartment. I reported this to the leasing office but was told they could not do anything since I do not know the apartment number of the resident. I told the leasing agent, who is also female, that the only way I could think of to obtain the apartment number would be to follow the resident around on her walk until she returned home. I explained that idea made me uncomfortable. Nevertheless, the agent was adamant that they could not do anything without the apartment number of the resident.

Would it be illegal for me to follow the resident around on her walk through the apartment complex until she returned home? I would envision remaining 30 – 100 yards away, staying in the parking lot or on a sidewalk, and making no attempt to speak to the resident.

If that would be illegal would it be stalking or harassment or some other crime?

I also appreciate any suggestions on better ways to handle this matter.

For what it is worth, before I went to the leasing office I did speak to the resident once about my concerns with her behavior, but she continues. I do not know the name of the resident and have no interest in knowing her personally.

I don't know how the State of Florida stalking law reads, but generally speaking,any unwanted contact between a stalker and their victim which places the victim in fear can generally be referred to as stalking. It's up to you, but my advice would be not to go there. If I caught you stalking my wife, you and I would have a little man to stalker talk

What exactly is she violating, and what is your part in this?
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Be careful when it comes to "following" someone around. A repeated act constitutes stalking. I'd have issue with the complex managment and maybe you need to find out who her boss is.
      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
        I don't know how the State of Florida stalking law reads, but generally speaking,any unwanted contact between a stalker and their victim which places the victim in fear can generally be referred to as stalking. It's up to you, but my advice would be not to go there. If I caught you stalking my wife, you and I would have a little man to stalker talk

What exactly is she violating, and what is your part in this?

Thanks for the replies. Regarding your questions, it is only a noise complaint, which is why I thought the leasing office could/would handle it. The woman's behavior outside my apartment (specifically her very unruly dog) prevents me from sleeping.

As an aside, I posted an earlier thread about a different noise/dog complaint. The one response to that thread suggested 2 or 3 things, lastly using ear plugs. I guess using earplugs is better than being charged with stalking.

If anyone is wondering these are the only two dog-noise complaints I've ever had in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Redstart View Post
          Thanks for the replies. Regarding your questions, it is only a noise complaint, which is why I thought the leasing office could/would handle it. The woman's behavior outside my apartment (specifically her very unruly dog) prevents me from sleeping.

As an aside, I posted an earlier thread about a different noise/dog complaint. The one response to that thread suggested 2 or 3 things, lastly using ear plugs. I guess using earplugs is better than being charged with stalking.

If anyone is wondering these are the only two dog-noise complaints I've ever had in my life.
          I wouldn't recommend the course of action you were thinking about. If the problem persists, and mgt still fails to resolve it, consider moving. That would beat being charged with harrasment, stalking, or a confrontation with an angry spouse, or boy friend.

Comment

why not just ask her what apartment she lives in?

Comment

Originally posted by the batman View Post
              why not just ask her what apartment she lives in?

That is a good question. I am sure she would tell you since you are a police officer. I just do not think she would tell me since I am a male stranger who has already complained to her about her behavior during the one conversation we have already had. Either way would seem to result in the condition of "unwanted contact" mentioned above.

I appreciate the suggestion. I know you are attempting to help. Maybe that is what I should try. I just honestly do not think people in general are that forthcoming with strangers, particularly strangers who have already complained about them.

At this point I imagine moving is my only real option....

...that or the ear plugs. I did try using ear plugs to deal with the other complaint. I do not know if the officer who suggested them was joking or not, but they worked well if I used the foam ear plugs in combination with a headset type of ear protection. It made watching TV or listening to music a little difficult. After several weeks I developed a painful, badly-clogged ear which was cleared up by a doctor. I do not know if the clog was caused by the ear plugs or not. Regardless, I was able to sleep reasonably well for the first time in months after I started using them.
              Last edited by Redstart; 05-18-2007, 06:01 AM. Reason: added paragraph about ear plugs

Comment

If you look at Florida state statutes concerning stalking (FS 784.048) what you intend to do could hardly be called stalking, IMO.

Does your city/county have an ordinances concerning animal behavior? My city has one that states you shall not allow your animal to repeatedly howl, bark, etc. If the animal is the main issues, contact animal services.

Comment

Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread.

Regarding the post immediately above, today I did phone the local police department to ask if there is a local animal control officer. I was told there is not. There is a local city code concerning barking dogs. I contacted the police last fall/winter about the prior complaint, but not regarding the complaint that prompted this thread. The present situation has gotten better. Maybe it is just a lull. If the problem returns I will call the police rather than follow the woman around looking for her apartment number. Either way I hope to move very soon.

Thank you again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5528 users online. 306 members and 5222 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X