300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC DEP life, work, living, and everything else

This question is to the NYC DEP police officers out there. I hope there are some in this forum that can help me.

I took the 7310 NYC DEP test and I’ve completed everything and I was just given an interview date for the first week in February. At the same time as I was going through this hiring process I was trying to get myself into a nursing program with CUNY, also an extremely hard program to get into with very limited seats. I was just recently accepted into the nursing program, which is a 2 year program for an associates degree and I just got an interview date for the NYC DEP. I’m at a cross road and I have no idea what to do. Can any NYC DEP police officer please give me some idea of the job? What the day-to-day is like? Politics of the job? Why are you liking or disliking it?

You guys don’t have to post you can also private message me. I just need some guidance from someone who is in it.

thank you for any responses.

I don't work for them, but can tell you they are one of the lowest paid in the region and have poor benefits, especially in terms of line of duty injury. The nursing program might be more beneficial to you.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTuna78910 View Post
      I’m at a cross road and I have no idea what to do..
      Do you want to be a nurse or a cop....................?

Two VERY dissimilar vocations.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Do you want to be a nurse or a cop....................?

Two VERY dissimilar vocations.
        I don’t know. That’s why I’m trying to get a DEP’s perspective and it’s not just the jobs I’m contemplating, it’s the opportunities of both, the future of both. If I knew, I wouldn’t be here asking for help.

Comment

Only YOU can answer that. Two completely different job fields.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Guys, the point of this post/question is to get a DEP’s insight on the job and insight of what they do, how they feel about that work, the things they like and dislike, the day-to-day as I stated initially on the post. I’m trying to get their perspective on the job. I understand you’re protecting the watershed but just hoping to get a some more info and details than that.

m.p.c do you happen to know anyone in the DEP? I’m thinking of calling the precinct to see if I can talk to someone there about it, maybe even visiting to talk to them.

Comment

• m.p.c
              m.p.c commented
              Editing a comment
              Not on a personal enough basis, just colleagues who know members or have family there. The pay is also considerably lower than any of the NYC metro areas. Even if you were to get a slot upstate, the pay is still not on par.

While policing and nursing appear to be quite dissimilar, they do have much in common. Both require handling stressful situations. We had a couple of our officers pursue nursing degrees while working as Court Officers. One that I knew personally received top pay offers from a couple of hospitals when he was ready to retire. The basis was, since he handled our arraignments and stressful cases, he could handle the ER or the psych ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
              While policing and nursing appear to be quite dissimilar, they do have much in common. Both require handling stressful situations. We had a couple of our officers pursue nursing degrees while working as Court Officers. One that I knew personally received top pay offers from a couple of hospitals when he was ready to retire. The basis was, since he handled our arraignments and stressful cases, he could handle the ER or the psych ward.
              True, I know more than one cop that became a nurse OR had a nursing degree and later became a cop.

But that still doesn't negate the fact that the two careers are totally different ..................There are thousands of cops that could NOT do the work of a nurse and thousands of nurses who would make terrible cops.

To the OP

If you want to be a nurse .................go to the class you have been accepted into. If you want to be a cop, take your chances on the interview.

The fact of the matter is .........................you can become a nurse and later decide it isn't for your or you can do the same as a cop.

Bottom line is MOST people who want to be cops KNOW what they want. People who waffle about the profession rarely end up making it
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Nurses make a Lot more cash I’m sure!

You need to find your direction.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8514 users online. 431 members and 8083 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X