Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's what happened. What would you do?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CruiserClass
    replied
    Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
    I have a problem with your story. Was it 2 months ago, or 3 years ago?
    Look at the time stamps, bro. This is an ooold thread revived by the OP. I was confuzzled at first, too, especially when a lot of the people answering in the post aren't exactly household names around here any longer.

Leave a comment:

• ShaneK
    replied
    The thread is 3 yrs old. I posted the story back in 2007.

I quoted someone who said something along the lines of "this obviously had a positive experience on you because you remembered it 3 months later."

I quoted it because its not been 3 years and I still remember it and am very thankful.

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    This actually happened to me roughly 2 months ago and I know it was a dumb decision on my part but what would you do had I done this?
    Almost 3 years now, and yes the officer had a wonderful influence on me. I still remember it to this day and respect him so much for letting me go with a warning..

Leave a comment:

• ShaneK
    replied
    i wish i knew what you typed?

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    Last edited by jcioccke; 02-13-2010, 10:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ShaneK
    replied
    Almost 3 years now, and yes the officer had a wonderful influence on me. I still remember it to this day and respect him so much for letting me go with a warning..

Im a MUCH safer driver today, than I was 3 years ago and I owe it partially to the officer that day.

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley View Post
    Shane, thank you for your post. I don't know if you intended for the officers to respond the way they did, but it was a good training point for some. A few got defensive right off the bat. Others assumed that you were going to whine and complain about your treatment. Surprisingly enough, no one admitted that they had done something similar at one time or another in their career. A lecture and a warning often serves to modify behavior faster than a very unpleasant and costly experience. Someone here probably would have written as many tickets as they could and towed your vehicle. The officer had a positive effect because you remembered it long enough to post it here.

Leave a comment:

• 10-97UPD
    replied
    Shane, thank you for your post. I don't know if you intended for the officers to respond the way they did, but it was a good training point for some. A few got defensive right off the bat. Others assumed that you were going to whine and complain about your treatment. Surprisingly enough, no one admitted that they had done something similar at one time or another in their career. A lecture and a warning often serves to modify behavior faster than a very unpleasant and costly experience. Someone here probably would have written as many tickets as they could and towed your vehicle. The officer had a positive effect because you remembered it long enough to post it here.
    I have done similar....just because I was the kid who got pulled over once. This situation is similar to one that I had. I was 16 and JUST got my license. I was going a little too fast and got yanked. I also got a pretty good chewin' by the officer....I was scared to death. If he would have written me for the speed I was going I would have had my license revoked for sure. I ended up with a HUGE break I was issued an equipment violation ticket and a "fix it" form. I have never forgotten that episode to this day. I was a good kid who simply made a stupid decision. I could have paid dearly for it but that officer gave me a second chance. Now that I am on the job I keep that experience in mind when dealing with it myself. I realize people make stupid decisions and sometimes nailing them to the wall isnt the best solution. To the officer that stopped me 14 yrs ago.....thank you for the positive influence.

Leave a comment:

• alanmoor
    replied
    I've heard this "stop where it is safe" argument from the public and from people I've stopped. What people don't realize is that we (at least I) don't just see an infraction or crime an immediately pull a car over. I get behind it, size up the situation (location, number of occupants, etc) and decide where to make the stop and do it. When I turn my lights on, I want the car in front of me to pull over to the RIGHT and stop right then. As someone else pointed out, I pick the location. If you pick the location I assume you have something to hide or you're intoxicated.

So, tell your friends.

Leave a comment:

• retired
    replied
    You should confess to everything you can think of and throw yourself at the mercy of the guys on this forum because no matter what you say, they have found you guilty.

Leave a comment:

• ShaneK
    replied
    Thanks Jerry. I was really looking to guage a response on how officers would've handled this situation. Would they on general take me to jail, just write me a few citations, or let me go like this LEO did. I did learn a lot from this and now a lot of my friends want to drive fast and act crazy on the roads. Im still a kid and probably go out of my boundaries to a certain degree at times but I sure as hell wont be doing anything close to what I did ever again.

Leave a comment:

• 1042 Trooper
    replied
    Everything Jerry said X2. I personally see nothing wrong with the intent of what you did, but always remember we can sit here sipping coffee and analze this, but any officer who might be in this situation might react in any of the previous ways you see listed here - from taking it personally to assisting you to the pavement. If circumstances were right, any of the above might be correct.

In the future, do stop as soon as possible, but it is okay, if YOU feel unsafe( do not be concerned with the officer's safety - he is responsible for that), to continue until you do. I would often tell women in public education classes, if they were out at night driving alone, to continue to a more well-lit, more public place, if it is within a reasonabl distance, if they doubt for a second that the officer is legitimate.

Often on the interstate, folks would pulll clear off into the grass, to keep me well off the pavement and off the roadway. I always appreciated the thought, even though I might have wanted them to stop in the emergency lane for some reason.

Carry on young man....

Leave a comment:

• jerrymaccauley
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cst.sb
    replied
    Originally posted by ShaneK View Post
    Ehh? I dont understand
    It means that you came here and questioned what the officer did. And if you're not questioning what he did, then you are questioning us on how we would have done it.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Trust me, in many places it wouldn't have been handled that way.

Leave a comment:

• ShaneK
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
    Do you always look gift horses in the mouth?

Ehh? I dont understand

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    What would you do?

Sounds like your lucky day Shane. Question for you. Do you always look gift horses in the mouth? Officer cut you a pretty major break. Be thankful.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4234 users online. 260 members and 3974 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X