300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring question

When you apply for a job in LE, do you go in and talk to a background investigator prior to him doing a background check on you? Do you also have a post background interview after the background check has been done? What are the main things that the BI looks into during his check? Also, what kind of things do they look at in the credit history portion of the check? I currently have a FICO score of 732 and I am 25 years old. Is that good enough to pass that section of the investigation?

In CA and I believe most states, applicants complete a background investigation form, return it to the investigator and usually are interviewed by the investigator if anything unusual is indicated on the form. Every agency has different standards, but generally departments are looking for stable persons, without a history of criminal (dishonest) behavior. Example: Even if you were not arrested or criminally charged with theft, being fired by a previous employer for theft would probably disqualify you. Unlawful use of controlled substances which is indicated on the background investigation form could lead to DQ, even if you were never arrested for it. Keep in mind the need to be honest, because for many agencies a polygraph examination is used as an investigative tool to verify information obtained during the investigation. Also keep in mind that use of controlled substances covers a wide range of topics and might not automatically lead to DQ. Example: if you're 25 years old and smoked marijuana a couple times at 18 or 19, I doubt many agencies will DQ. If you smoked it a week before completing the background form, don't bother handing it in!
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Hiring Question

You got some excellent information in the first reply. With regard to credit. Most agencies regard the way you handle credit/bills, as an overall indication of your reliability. So, yes, your credit score is important.

Comment

Every agency is indeed different. At my previous department I did a number of backgrounds, and we did do an interview with you after we received the appication but before we started the background. The purpose was to go over the application in detail and give you your one and only chance to tell us anything that you forgot to put down. After that, there was no such thing as 'I forgot' - it was 'you lied'. We don't do credit checks unless there is a red flag. In addition to the background, we also do polygraph and psych exams.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5605 users online. 311 members and 5294 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X