300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help and don't know what to do

ok. I am in a weird situation. I live in Ohio, so I hope that might help. Well, my apartment complex is set up with 12 apartments in each building. These are seperated buildings, 2 apartments on each side, each floor, 3 stories high.
    The police came because of a noise complaint When the cop arrived, he knocked and told me about the complaint and I let him hear the music(8pm). He gave me the " i don't know what to say look" and I told him I would turn it down. He then chuckled, said thanks and then went on his way.
    The next day, I went to the office to address my complaint. I was told, by the office manager that its the same guy who always complains. She advised me to start getting police reports stating the times they came out and how loud the music was.
    After talking with the property manager, I was explained the list of complaints he has filed.
    -The people who lived above him had moved out because of excessive complaints for noise.
    - The guy who lives above him has had over 50 complaints of excessive noise(some times when he isn't even home) from this neighbor. Its at the point now where the prosecutors office is setting up mediation.
    -He has registered with the office, over 15 complaints in the last month of excessive noise, but because of his nature.. the complex never informed me.

This is starting to become a problem, as my noise isn't that loud. I have contacted the neighbors below me, above me, and the neighbor I share a wall with and they said they never hear me be too loud and always appreciate that I listen to music during the afternoon and always have it off by 9 the latest.
    What is my next point of process to help myself avoid problems with this neighbor? I was thinking of trying to be civil and talk to him, but I don't want to fuel the fire.

Thank you guys in advanced

Sounds to me like the guy just enjoys complaining. I'm not sure that you can proactively "avoid problems" on someone who makes noise complaints about people who aren't home...

You could always try talking to him...by the sounds of it, it probably wouldn't make things any worse. At least your apartment manager (and, by the sounds of it, the local PD) know this guy's a chronic complainer, so you don't have to worry much about repercussions from them.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Well, do you know anything about the mediation process. Like I said, not only has he constantly complained on me, but he is complaining about his neighbor above him. Its at the point now where he keeps getting "mediation" letters in the mail and everytime he tries to go to one, the complaining party doesn't show up. Also, I am worried, that since its a huge city, that they won't reconize it as him complaining, and think of us as a problem apartment. The property manager has explained that there is no chance of eviction, but I would really like to stop his harassment.
      Also, from speaking with one of the cops, he might be able to file against me in civil court, although he said he wasn't too sure on that.

Also, since we don't have video evidence, we can't pinpoint it to him specifically, but there as been numerous occasions where in the middle of the night, our power has been turned off from the outside. This has also happened to the guy above him, but no one else in the apartment complex. Just seems weird to me

Comment

Need Help

Your situation describes one of the "joys" of apartment living. I don't really know what to advise you. If your immediate neighbors,(above, below, either side) aren't complaining, then I don't really see a problem. The guy may be a chronic complainer. If that's the case, nothing you can do, short of moving, will satisfy him. I don't suggest you move, that has to be your decision.

Comment

Let the apartment complex and the prosecutors office handle him. Unless he confronts you face to face do nothing until the can hopefully resolve it. If he does make contact dont' get confrontational with him direct him to make his complaints to the apartment complex office and walk away.
          The guy sounds like a wacko and he's going to complain about anything and everything. GOOD LUCK!
          "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

I've never heard of a "mediation" process through a prosecutor's office. I'd suspect that it's the prosecutor's way of trying to defuse an ongoing problem situation where criminal charges aren't approprate but complaints keep getting filed. I wouldn't worry too much about the local PD labeling your building as "problem apartments." When an officer sees numerous complaints of a similar nature...all unfounded...from the same apartment, we can usually read between the lines. If the complaint isn't legitimate, you don't have anything to worry about anyway.

I'd say that you might want to approach the apartment manager in a different way...tell them that not finding a way to solve the problem with this guy could very well cost them money. After all, they're siding with (or at least ignoring the problems generated by) a single problem tenant while risking having multiple other tenants move out because of him. That doesn't make good business sense.

As for civil court, there's a simple rule of thumb...anybody can sue for anything at any time. That doesn't mean he'd win, but he can definitely sue if he wants to waste the time and money.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

thank you guys for all your help. To be honest, I never see the guy. He comes home and goes straight to his house. He doesn't ever seem to leave and keeps all this windows/doors/blinds shut all the time. I never really planned on confronting him, or anything of that sort. I just was more worried about the effects his chronic complaining will do.
              We've only had the cops come here twice and both times, it was real quick with the cop pretty much ending both times with "sorry, but we have to respond to every call" No reports( to my knowledge)were written.
              I will avoid him at all cost, mention something to the property manager and just continue on my way.
              Cheers!
              Last edited by BlackInkSoup; 05-16-2007, 11:52 AM.

Comment

How about asking the manager if there is another (maybe upgraded) apartment available for the same rent. That would solve your own issue with him. It won't do much for the police or the apartment manager, of course....

Comment

AHHHHHH!!!!!

So I went to the apartment manager yesterday and expressed my concerns. I then left and when I came home, he was at my door yelling at me for "coloring in his peep hole with a sharpie marker", telling me that his brother is a narcotics cop in FL, so I better watch my actions. I told him I had been gone for the last 5 hours, and he was home when I left, not to mention who would take the time to sharpie a peep hole. He then said" I am just trying to get along with my neighbors" and went back to his house.
                  Well, this morning I woke up and find out that my electric had been shut off again.
                  I think its time to move or is it possible I can file harassment claims against him
                  Last edited by BlackInkSoup; 05-17-2007, 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Wait...how did he shut off your electric?
                    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
                      Wait...how did he shut off your electric?
                      I actually have no proof it was him, but this has happened more than once and it only seems to happen to me and the guy who lives above him(which he has complained about), but the main box is outside of the complex. With out apartment numbers on each power box, you are able to turn power off and on by simply going outside and pulling the switch
                      Last edited by BlackInkSoup; 05-17-2007, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Potentially, that's Disrupting Public Services, ORC 2909.04, a felony of the fourth degree. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2909.04 Most prosecutors probably wouldn't pursue that, but Criminal Mischief or Disorderly Conduct are realisitc charges.
                        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Hey thanks for your help. I got excellent direction today from an officer. He has actually responded to a lot of calls from this particular guy, so when he called on me again tonight(7pm) for "being loud" the officer came and wrote me out a report stated that he checked my noise level and not only was it acceptable, but below what could be considered disruptive. He then gave me a card and said that I could file a complaint of harassment(he talked to my neighbors, who I shared common walls with) cause they are not bothered, nor do they hear my "loud" noise.
                          He said, while it will be hard proving harassment, with all the legal mumbo jumbo, it would be easier to take it to my complex and have them either move me, speak with him, or refuse to renew his lease.
                          Thank you for all the advice you guys gave.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackInkSoup View Post
                            Hey thanks for your help. I got excellent direction today from an officer. He has actually responded to a lot of calls from this particular guy, so when he called on me again tonight(7pm) for "being loud" the officer came and wrote me out a report stated that he checked my noise level and not only was it acceptable, but below what could be considered disruptive. He then gave me a card and said that I could file a complaint of harassment(he talked to my neighbors, who I shared common walls with) cause they are not bothered, nor do they hear my "loud" noise.
                            He said, while it will be hard proving harassment, with all the legal mumbo jumbo, it would be easier to take it to my complex and have them either move me, speak with him, or refuse to renew his lease.
                            Thank you for all the advice you guys gave.
                            That my friend is an officer doing his job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6059 users online. 353 members and 5706 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X