300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police and hospital Staff

How well do Police and Hospital Staff usually get along? And has anyone ever ran into a doctor and/or nurse that didn't like the Police? If so how did you handle it? Thanks

When you say “didn’t like the police” are you talking big picture stuff or like the ER doc and cop were once married and are now divorced?

Lots of people do not like police, including other police officers. So that’s not a new thing.

neither is the divorce issue now that I think of it.

Not liking the police and not doing your job because you don’t like the police are two different situations.
    semper destravit

Comment

There's always "that guy" but if someone is professional about there job, they'll swallow their pride and do what needs to be done. Now, I've ****ed off medical staff in two different states while on the job, but none of them have ever held a grudge or acted in any way is if I would be treated different than any other patient in their facility. Nurses, especially ER nurses, are like us; they like to be in charge and don't want someone else telling them what to do. I've heard many an ER nurse brag on how they run the ER and the doctor is only there to sign off on scripts and to what the nurse tells them needs to be done. I've had a couple try to push that off on me, one telling me that I couldn't take pictures of an assault victim because it was a HIPAA violation. She didn't seem to care when I told her that HIPAA didn't apply to me because I was not a medical provider and the pictures were not part of any medical record. She said it didn't matter because I was inside the hospital so I couldn't take pictures unless my victim signed a waiver. I told her where to stick her waiver and to find somewhere else to be while I was getting information from the victim. There might have been a nice copy of exceptions to HIPAA regulations at the nurses station when she came back to work the next night, but, she never gave me any more problems any time I was in the ER.

Comment

On a personal level? Just fine, generally, with the hospitals near me. Like DD312 said, ER nurses like to be in charge of their zone and when in Rome... you often catch more flies with sugar and all. In general, hospital staff has been pretty helpful to me. They get irritated when they feel like we're treating them like a drunk tank because they don't want to house the drunks of the world but that's more a professional gripe than personal.

In general, I try to be sociable, polite, friendly, and professional with everyone in the hospital. I've never been given a hard time about them. If they don't agree with the supervisor's decision or my reason for being there, I just shrug and say I empathize but don't get a say. Make it an 'use against them' thing. It deflects a lot of the drama.

Comment

During my career as a law enforcement officer I worked off-duty security at four different hospitals in my city. I never once got cross-ways with any of the staff. I enjoyed the smiles or looks of relief when I walked in an area where a problem was happening. I worked only at night and hung around the ER most of the time, keeping the drunks and druggies inline but the employees and patients knew whatever might happen I was close by.

I guess times have changed. I simply cannot imagine anyone not feeling good about my presence on the hospital property.....except the criminals or idjits I was there to guard against.
          If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

Over the years I have seen just about all the different reactions to uniforms in hospitals. I have spent thousands of hours in a hospital transporting and/or watching inmates/prisoners There are some general points to think about

As recently as Saturday (yes this last Saturday) NIGHT I was on the phone 3 or 4 times near midnight with the local hospital concerning a mental health committal when they wanted a patient moved to another facility and my agency was unable to do that transport quick enough for them. I had to get the Chief Deputy involved with that matter.

ER nurses / doctors NORMALLY like cops and bend over backwards to help a friendly cop. Due to their clientele they like the presence of an officer for the deterrent value .

Get up on a patient treatment floor and that camaraderie often changes. The cop is now a distraction / obstacle in the treatment plan for the patient.

I know a LOT of cops who have dated (me included) nurses.....and doctors. MANY of them ended up married
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              ER nurses / doctors NORMALLY like cops and bend over backwards to help a friendly cop. Due to their clientele they like the presence of an officer for the deterrent value .
              True. I only remember one doctor that had a severe dislike for officers. Seems he was doubling the speed limit in a school zone close to his hospital and he announced who he was and reminded the officer that in Texas he was exempt from speed law if enroute to a medical emergency. The officer let him go but showed up in the doctor's lounge a short time later and issued the speeding ticket while doc was sitting there enjoying his coffee!

I remember stopping a young lady in scrubs that used that same statement to try and get out of a ticket. She was so rude and belittling to me, I felt it necessary to do a little followup and found she was a nursing assistant in a veterinary clinic.......
              Uh........sign here please!

If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

LE and ER staff live in parallel universes. Both work nights, holidays and kid's birthdays. Both get plenty of exposure to blood, broken teeth and tragedy. Both survive on gallows' humor and thin coffee to get through a shift.

So to a certain degree, there's a natural camaraderie, or at least a sense of simpatico.

But I've never got a warm reception in my interactions with them. My dealings were always professional and clinical.

Like the time I took a guy to jail for a warrant, but the jail refused placement when he admitted having several rocks of crack cocaine in a baggie in his rectum. "You need to take him to the emergency room and get that removed before we can book him."

Off to the local ER we went, whereupon I explained the situation to the attending nurse and doctor. The doctor hands me a small metal tray. "Hold this please", he says.

Without hesitation, the doctor bends the guy over and removes a rubber butt plug and plops it in the tray. While the doctor is reaching in to retrieve the baggie, he asks about the purpose of the plug.

Response from guy: because he's had so much anal sex, he needs the plug, or else he'd mess in his pants.

The doctor pulls out the baggie with the crack rocks and drops it in the tray. "Here you go", he says, before pulling off his gloves and walking away.

It's not like we got together for beers and giggles after work ended. He did his job. I did mine. That was that.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

-Louis Pasteur

Comment

I can only think of one REALLY hatey incident with hospital staff...that involved a serious felony-level arrestee that an ER doctor decided to play bedside lawyer for because she didn't think we were treating him right. That ended with a county prosecutor at the ER at 3am explaining to said ER doctor that she was going to be arrested for obstructing if she didn't stick to being a doctor. She left that particular meeting in tears and moved on to another hospital shortly thereafter.

Otherwise, yes, I've seen some professional disagreements. And, there are some medical professionals who need to read up on HIPPA. But, generally, my contact has been good and medical staff are at least professional and sometimes quite glad to see us (maybe that's the upside to having a small hospital that relies on local LE for their safety).
                  "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago1991 View Post
                    How well do Police and Hospital Staff usually get along? And has anyone ever ran into a doctor and/or nurse that didn't like the Police? If so how did you handle it? Thanks
                    No way to generalize. Some hate LEOs, some don't. Just like the general public.
                    Last edited by Zeitgeist1; 12-17-2019, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I deal a lot with hospital staff because one of our local hospitals falls in my patrol district, so I get called there a lot. In general, our relations are good. Every now and again we'll have a disagreement with a staff member, but it's rare. The last one I recall was a doc that got upset because an officer pulled a Taser on a patient who was fighting with both police and security officers. The physician actually placed himself between the officer and the patient and demanded the officer put away his Taser. That doc got a special visit from an assistant chief after that.

The worst I ever directly experienced was when I pulled over a nurse for speeding (40 mph in a 20 mph zone). When I issued a ticket, she said, "I sure you hope you don't get hurt and show up in my ER." I let her go, then called the nursing supervisor, whom I'd worked with before and had a good relationship with. I explained her employee's comment, and offered to stop by and allow her to watch/listen to my body camera footage. She said that wasn't necessary, and 30 minutes later I received a call from the speeder, apologizing profusely for her actions and comments.

Comment

There are hospitals, then there are hospitals. I have dealt with hospitals owned by the city administration, so all of the staff were drawing paychecks from the same source as mine. I have dealt with hospitals run by religious orders and, in some cases, there were fundamental differences in how certain issues should be dealt with. I have dealt with physicians and surgeons who were arrogant and rude, and I have dealt with others who were friendly and courteous. I have dealt with nursing staff who gave very good impressions of mama bears looking after their cubs in a hostile world, and I have deal with nursing staff that expected me to give an obnoxious bozo a good beating to teach him some manners. I have been present when medical staff were complimentary about my crude first aid administered on the scene of an incident, and I have been lectured by a few about leaving the medical stuff to the professionals. I have been treated like a Nazi storm trooper for breaking a guy's shin with my nightstick, while I was having a knife wound sutured on my forearm (done by the guy with the busted shin). Once had a nun in a Catholic hospital ER object to me carrying a handgun in uniform. I have dealt with staff physicians, and I have dealt with contract ER docs who show up for a 24-hour shift then go home a couple hundred miles away. I have dealt with thefts of narcotics from hospital supplies, and I have busted a few medical professionals with serious drug problems.

Some are pleasant and helpful, others are less so. Just like people everywhere, I suppose.

Comment

One place I worked we had a great rapport with the hospital and ER staff. The other place I worked I came close to arresting some of the ER staff.

Comment

Is it true that allot of nurses end up with cops? If so why? Thanks

Comment

• ChiTownDet
                              ChiTownDet commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I worked with a lot of coppers married to nurses. Most started with their interactions regularly in the ER on jobs. I dates a few way back that I met in the ER handling jobs. Mostly from blue collar backgrounds, dealing with a lot of the same shiate that coppers do, a lot have Police and Fire in their families. Actually knew more than one that were nurses and came on the job.

Originally posted by Chicago1991 View Post
                            Is it true that allot of nurses end up with cops? If so why? Thanks
                            Read numbers 6 & 8 above
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7008 users online. 393 members and 6615 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X