Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Academy Time

Hello LEO's.

I have a quick questionr regarding the Police Academy. Although I am sure that police academy's differ greatly, I am just curious how much time you LEO's spent outside of the classroom studying? I plan to devote all of my time to the 13 weeks of the Academy this summer, but I was just curious how many hours of studying I should expect to be doing at night. I am pretty familiar with the college aspect of studying (just graduated with a B.A. in CJ), but I was curious how similar the police academy is to a traditional college? Obviously there are parts such as hands on things that differ, but when it comes to the classroom what are the big differences? Thanks much guys!

It varies according to the subject matter and your prior experience. Since you've got your degree in CJ, you're probably familiar with the basics of criminal law, evidence and search and seizure. Those topics will probably be covered in less depth than you've already studied. Other topics such as officer survival are less familiar and you should spend more time studying. If you have good study habits now, you'll probably find the challenging but not difficult. Just do the best you can!
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

It just depends on what kind of student you are. I didn't study the curriculum all that much. I'm just not that kind of student, it doesn't help me much. I learn more from paying attention in class than I do from reading.

I did read a lot of extra stuff like related case law and case studies. While the reading wasn't assigned I found it really helped with some of the topics. Search and Seizure is one that stands out.

13 weeks, wow. I went through the academy 3 years ago here in California. It was 26 weeks back then. I'm sure it is 27 or 28 by now.

Comment

Originally posted by kcr View Post
        13 weeks, wow. I went through the academy 3 years ago here in California. It was 26 weeks back then. I'm sure it is 27 or 28 by now.
        13 weeks is the bare bones minimum for certification in Wisconsin. Many academies are in the 26-30 week range, especially those put on be individual departments. There is significant talk and the LE Standards Board of making the minimum 22 weeks in the 2008 session.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

20 weeks for me 12 years ago. I never studied after class and spent most of my time sleeping in class with my eyes open.

Comment

My Academy was 11.5 months long.

I didn't study at any point outside of 'class'.

Take it in stride and pay attention, you should be fine, especially with only 13 weeks.

Good luck!

Comment

I attend an academy in California and can tell you that I spend allot of time studying away from the academy. You have to consider that allot of insruction is given at a fast pace. You are expected to retain the information and practice it. Good Luck!

Comment

16 weeks in 1996. I spent exactly no time outside the class room studying. I did take a long hard look at the empty bottom of multiple beer bottles when class was not in session.
                It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Originally posted by JLH81 View Post
                  Hello LEO's.

I have a quick questionr regarding the Police Academy. Although I am sure that police academy's differ greatly, I am just curious how much time you LEO's spent outside of the classroom studying? I plan to devote all of my time to the 13 weeks of the Academy this summer, but I was just curious how many hours of studying I should expect to be doing at night. I am pretty familiar with the college aspect of studying (just graduated with a B.A. in CJ), but I was curious how similar the police academy is to a traditional college? Obviously there are parts such as hands on things that differ, but when it comes to the classroom what are the big differences? Thanks much guys!
                  ZERO in 15 weeks.
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6312 users online. 316 members and 5996 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X