300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many jobs a decisive factor?

Hello. I have a question regarding background and reference check as far as job history is concerned. After you do your interview the police services check your background, and my questions is, Is working too many jobs over a span of 8 years a big factor in hiring people? Also I have been fired from 2 jobs in my whole life. I am 27 years old right now.Thanks.

Depends on the reason you left the jobs and the reason you were fired from two of them.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Having many jobs over a short period of time is an indication of instability and a possible lack of dedication to the company. Each situation is different... Such as, in school or college, it is not unusual for one to have many jobs during a short period. As long as you can explain them, it should not be a major issue.
      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

OK to add some more on the topic, what would you say are the top 10 things they look for an individual for when hiring? This is what I think:

1) Clean criminal record- Me
        2) Clean driving record- Only 1 accident(minor) in 9 years driving
        3) Job background check- Fired twice but everything else is fine
        4) Family and friends reference about candidate

You can take it from here

Comment

again, depends on what you were fired for. That does make a big difference.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Too Many Jobs

Sammy, I can only agree with the answers previously posted. In general, job history is very important in assessing a candidate's suitability as a Police Officer. A steady work record indicates a degree of stability and dependability. Does that mean changing jobs is an automatic DQ? Absolutely not. Changing jobs for better pay/benefits etc, is pretty normal. Does getting fired from a job result in an automatic DQ? That depends on the circumstances surrounding the termination. Being fired more than once will probably raise a red flag or two. You didn't disclose, and I don't blame you, the reason(s) for your termination. You will be required to disclose them on your application, or in your Background Package.

Comment

OK I'll tell you what I was fired for

I was a truck driver for this fresh produce company. My shift was from 8am-5pm. I had told my boss that I cannot work past 5pm because I had to be at my security job at 6pm. One day I arrive at work and one of the bosses gives me the key and the delivery sheet and says "All this delivery will take 3 hours". This was at 1pm. When I got to my 1st destination, I opened the back of the truck and found out that the skids were not wrapped, so there were fruits and veggies all over the place. To make long store short I spent most of the time sorting out the deliveris, and by the time I got to my 2nd last delivery it was already 4:30pm. I thought if I donn't get back to the warehouse, I would be late for security, and I would probably get fired from security. So I didn't deliver to the last client which was Skydome, now known as Rogers Dome. The boss called me the following day and told me I was fired because I didn't deliver to their most important client. I told him that his partner gave me the key and said "No need to check the trailer, everything is ready to go". But this idiot forgot to wrap the skids. I worked for this place for only 6 days.

Comment

5) past drug usage if any...type and how recent
                6) credit history/finances...excellent, fair, carpy

I'm not asking for you to disclose the reasons for termination, but if it involved employee theft of any kind, forgetaboutit
                "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
                  5) past drug usage if any...type and how recent
                  6) credit history/finances...excellent, fair, carpy

I'm not asking for you to disclose the reasons for termination, but if it involved employee theft of any kind, forgetaboutit
                  Well I have done weed in Amsterdam in July 2004 which is legal according to their law. I had told them that during a pre-interview questionnaire and they told me to come back in 2007 because they consider smoking weed a criminal offense and it takes 3 years to clear here in Canada. But the fact is it was legal where I did it. I am too honest I guess and got burned As fas as credit goes I have 714 points out of like 900 which is pretty good. And no, I have never ever stole anything from anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by sammytheman View Post
                    Well I have done weed in Amsterdam in July 2004 which is legal according to their law. I had told them that during a pre-interview questionnaire and they told me to come back in 2007 because they consider smoking weed a criminal offense and it takes 3 years to clear here in Canada. But the fact is it was legal where I did it. I am too honest I guess and got burned As fas as credit goes I have 714 points out of like 900 which is pretty good. And no, I have never ever stole anything from anywhere.
                    Okay Sammy, regarding the marijuana usage. You're not applying to be a cop in Amsterdam. There are a lot of things that are legal in the Netherlands, that are illegal almost everywhere else. The point to be made is that the use of marijuana is illegal in Canada. That's where you're applying. Regarding the termination. Without any arguments pro or con, I don't think it will be all that much of an issue, as long as you're up front about it. Keep in mind, that you have to convince the agency you're applying to, not us, concerning your suitablity as a candidate.

Comment

Thanks for your opinions fellas. I really appreciate it. Just 1 final question, here in Toronto they hire you then do a background check, including jobs. What are the chances of them calling you and rejecting you from the force after a succesful interview? That would give me a heart attack

p.s In another police forum a said "Thanks dude" in the Ask a Cop section, and people started posting rude comments for calling someone "dude". And I got banned. Is being a cop really that stressful?

Comment

Thanks for your opinions fellas. I really appreciate it. Just 1 final question, here in Toronto they hire you then do a background check, including jobs. What are the chances of them calling you and rejecting you from the force after a succesful interview? That would give me a heart attack

p.s In another police forum a said "Thanks dude" in the Ask a Cop section, and people started posting rude comments for calling someone "dude". And I got banned. Is being a cop really that stressful?
                        Well Sammy, as the old saying goes, "it's not so much what you say, it's how you say it".Are you certain Toronto hires you, then does a Background Check?Sounds a little strange to me. You might want to confirm that.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                          Well Sammy, as the old saying goes, "it's not so much what you say, it's how you say it".Are you certain Toronto hires you, then does a Background Check?Sounds a little strange to me. You might want to confirm that.
                          Yes sir!!!!!!! 2 of my friends are working for Toronto. There was one fella who was hired but then FIRED after doing a background check because he lied. Integrity is taken very seriously here.

Comment

Yes sir!!!!!!! 2 of my friends are working for Toronto. There was one fella who was hired but then FIRED after doing a background check because he lied. Integrity is taken very seriously here.
                            That being the case, and I'm certain it is, it would make far better sense to do the Background prior to hiring an individual.

Comment

Just to let you know that there are several of us on this forum that are also active members on the RP forum. I could see from the thread that you also made some contributions to help yourself get banned. Bottom line is that several of them felt that your age and the fact that you tried some pot not too long ago would be a deciding factor as to whether you will be hired as a LEO or not.

You stated that "everyone tries something once." This is true, but someone being 24 or 26 yrs old and deciding to try some illegal drugs when considering a job in law enforcement is not going to be looked upon highly with those on the hiring panel. "It's not illegal in Amsterdam" is definitely not an answer you would want to give them about the drug use.
                              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6161 users online. 328 members and 5833 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X