Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can different LEO’s legally identify as police ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can different LEO’s legally identify as police ?

Reason I ask this question is because the parole and probation officers in my state used to identify as police and wore police markings on their vest. However a policy was created to remove all police markings due to I think fear of lawsuits for false misrepresentation which i doubt would happen and failure to train even though the academy they go through is comparable to a reserve police academy. Identifying as police was not something I read was forbidden to do so. Anyways, without taking into account agency policy or getting in trouble with blank agency is a law enforcement officer of a different kind “legally” allowed to identify as police ? A citizen can call themselves police and get charged for impersonating a peace officer but what if it was a parole officer who is a peace officer by state law.

Also ICE seems to always identify or yell police but they don’t get in trouble for it. So I’m thinking most likely all LEO’s are allowed to identify as police since it’s the universal word for law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacefulness View Post
      Reason I ask this question is because the parole and probation officers in my state used to identify as police and wore police markings on their vest. However a policy was created to remove all police markings due to I think fear of lawsuits for false misrepresentation which i doubt would happen and failure to train even though the academy they go through is comparable to a reserve police academy. Identifying as police was not something I read was forbidden to do so. Anyways, without taking into account agency policy or getting in trouble with blank agency is a law enforcement officer of a different kind “legally” allowed to identify as police ? A citizen can call themselves police and get charged for impersonating a peace officer but what if it was a parole officer who is a peace officer by state law.
      Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

Comment

What is your obsession with this topic?

https://forum.officer.com/forum/publ...-officers-cops

Comment

Here, they have powers of arrest. I don't see how this could be subject to lawsuits.

Comment

Government organization with powers of arrest = Police....not a big issue, why is it such an issue where you are? politics?

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post

Kinda what I was wondering.

Let's do the holster-sniffer test...

Do you own a Crown Vic that was a retired LE vehicle or any vehicle with a lightbar, cage, or push bumper?
              Do you own a "tac vest?"
              Do you own any piece of apparel that is bullet-resistant?
              Do you have a CCW and possess a badge that says "Concealed Carry Permit Holder" or something similar?
              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

This OP continually posts and reposts the same questions. Don’t waste time responding.
                Last edited by CCCSD; 11-27-2019, 05:54 PM.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post

Clearly aren’t the same questions. Similar but not the same.

Comment

Still haven’t answered the question.

Comment

Some things never change...
                      Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none - William Shakespeare
                      Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.- James Mattis
                      It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. - Lt. Gen. George S. Patton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFL80PN3wA&sns=em

Comment

If I can reassign my gender I can reassign my professions right?

Comment

Yes, the answer is yes undoubtedly. An agency or state may try to implement legal restrictions against it, but I would bet my life savings legally the use of the word would stand up in court, even if your state restricts it. You may lose your job for violating policy, but it would legally stand.

A prime example is California trying to make ICE stop saying this. lolol get bent California, best believe they will keep using it verbally and on patches. Moreso to that point, fairly recently Border Patrol Agents started receiving patches issued to them that say POLICE now instead of what they used to say, including in California.

Police is the most reasonable thing to say for a law enforcement officer. A Special Agent for TIGTA (federal) isn't going to yell "SPECIAL AGENT, TAX INSPECTOR GENERAL FOR TAX ADMINISTRATION DROP THE WEAPON" on a search warrant, and any state or locality that tries to enact such archaic restrictions is not a place I would want to work or live.
                          UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                          "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12439 users online. 452 members and 11987 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X