300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport/Airplane with weapons

What is the procedure for off duty Police Officers in Airports and going on Airplanes? As a LEO are you able to carry you weopon on a plane? Seems rational to me, No offense if there are any Air Marshalls on here but I would think that LEO's are more qualified to carry weapons then most air marshals due to more extensive training in law enforcement.

I donno though so whats the word, and a off duty officer carry his weapon on a plane?

This is something that should not be discussed with non-LEOs. A peace officer will know, or have the channels to get the info, about carry policies. Otherwise, it's opsec.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Check the TSA website, www.tsa.gov. It's going to have as much open source information as is available on the subject and you should be able to answer your own question.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

While LEO's may have more training in general law enforcement, Air Marshall's have focused training on the potential problems in the unique envrionment of an aircraft. It is completly different from dealing with speeders, drunk drivers, domestic violence, bank robberies, and the wider gamit of general law enforcement.
        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
        John Stuart Mill

Comment

I've seen the FAM's qualification test, trust me their qualifications are far more difficult than an PO test I have seen.

Comment

Air Marshals firing quals are a LOT harder, faster than most fed,local or state qualifications. I can't say for all because I don't know all of the local, state or certain fed quals. I can assure you that air marshals firing quals are fast (timed). The air marshals just don't stand there and pull the trigger like some agencies do. As you know, they are 10,000-38,000 ft in the air. No room for errors.
            live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

Being a pilot myself, not LEO,

From my perspective, a bullet can have catastrophic consequeses if one penetrates a pressurized cabin at FL250 and above. Loss of oxegen (for pilot and passengers) , and the unequal pressure can rip an airplane apart. So I would have to believe that Air Marshalls are specially trained not to fire stray bullets or fire thier weapon unless really necessary. Just my opinion.

Comment

I forgot I was in a "ask a cop section". Sorry. I thought I was in General Discussion" hope I won't get banned, I didn't mean it.

Comment

Originally posted by iMarkVideo View Post
                  Being a pilot myself, not LEO,

From my perspective, a bullet can have catastrophic consequeses if one penetrates a pressurized cabin at FL250 and above. Loss of oxegen (for pilot and passengers) , and the unequal pressure can rip an airplane apart. So I would have to believe that Air Marshalls are specially trained not to fire stray bullets or fire thier weapon unless really necessary. Just my opinion.
                  BS. An airliner's pressure vessel has leaks that total up to well more than a bullet hole. It is well-documented that a bullet through the side will not cause catastrophic failure.

I am a pilot, and a deputy sheriff.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                    BS. An airliner's pressure vessel has leaks that total up to well more than a bullet hole. It is well-documented that a bullet through the side will not cause catastrophic failure.

I agree and I'm not a pilot either. FAMs (who as a group are among the best shots in law enforcement) are trained as to which areas really can cause catastrophic failure with a stray bullet (I won't detail those areas in a public forum).
                    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post

Mythbusters did an episode on shooting out of a plane. Pretty interesting if you've never seen it. They shot through the wall, through the window, and eventually broke out a 100gm shape charge. The bullets didn't have much effect, not even enough to move foam peanuts, but the shape charge sure got some attention.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4643 users online. 282 members and 4361 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X