300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concealed gun in vehicle

I live in Texas and know that you can carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle without a CHL. My question is what is considered concealed? Obviously that would include in a compartment like the console, or glovebox, or even under a seat. I carry mine on a magnet on the transmission hump under the dash. It’s not in plain view, but is not enclosed, I just want to make sure I’m compliant before I find out the hard way I’m not.

Why don't you drive down to your local PD and ask them?

Comment

I've been retired from a PD for a while now but I did have this conversation with a couple of current officers during lunch not long ago and their answer is the handgun MUST BE TOTALLY CONCEALED. (Please note that there are no legal interpretations on the definition of "concealed" in reference to this law). But, if any portion of the weapon is visible, you are in violation of the law. It seems popular for some folks driving through high-crime areas to just lay the pistol on the passenger seat and completely cover it with a towel. What you have to be cautious of, is hitting the brakes real hard and the pistol sliding around or falling into the floorboard.

What a lot of people misunderstand about the concealed part is they think it must be contained in something that removes it from view......like a box or bag. Concealed just means it is not in view. (Don't SIT on it, since you might be asked to step out of the car!)

Remember, we are only talking about concealing your weapon in a vehicle.
      Last edited by delzo70; 11-20-2019, 12:29 PM.
      If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

For the best answer, I'd ask your local PD.

Comment

Answered above. Concealed means that I can't see it. A towel, papers, hat, etc. This is just to nitpick, but it isn't a CHL anymore to those who don't know, but a LTC - license to carry now in Texas.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12301 users online. 438 members and 11863 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X