300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Along Scheduled

Hello all, I had a few questions regarding courtesies during a ride along, and wanted some input/advice from people who’ve dealt with a ride along.

I don’t mean rules and such that I’ll be reading the morning of my scheduled ride along. I want to know what to do other than shut up and let the cop do his job.

What should I wear? I don’t want to show up in sweatpants and a plain tshirt, but I also don’t think a tux is appropriate.

What questions should I ask? Is it ok to ask a question in the moment, as long as I’m direct and to the point and not chatting the officers ear off?

One more thing, how can I stand out more and hopefully be memorable in a positive way for the officer?

Anything else you can think of, please share.

Thanks in advance.
    ~Khye

Basics:

1. slacks and a polo or button up shirt....think khaki and a polo. If it's good enough for Target/Best Buy, it's good enough for a ride along. Tucked in. No jingley keys, cell phone on silent/vibrate.

2. questions are for down time, not during calls, responding to calls or while the officer is attempting to listen to the radio

Some other good ideas...

1. shower before the ride along....as in before you go, not the night or day before
    2. go light on the cologne/perfume
    3. use deodorant

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
      Basics:

1. slacks and a polo or button up shirt....think khaki and a polo. If it's good enough for Target/Best Buy, it's good enough for a ride along. Tucked in. No jingley keys, cell phone on silent/vibrate.

2. questions are for down time, not during calls, responding to calls or while the officer is attempting to listen to the radio

Some other good ideas...

1. shower before the ride along....as in before you go, not the night or day before
      2. go light on the cologne/perfume
      3. use deodorant
      Thank you kindly!

Comment

Don't be the guy the detectives have been doing controlled buys from! (True story)

Comment

Careerchange#2 pretty much covered it. If it's not too busy, maybe offering to pay for dinner/lunch is a possible. Close your mouth and open your ears. People stand out in a negative way when they interfere in calls, show up not dressed appropriately, play on their phone etc. If the officer tells you to stay in the vehicle. Stay in it. Be aware of the radio. If you are talking and you hear the radio, stop talking. Most officers can talk and listen to the radio at the same time, but don't assume.

Comment

Offering to buy coffee or dinner is always appreciated, even if your host doesn't accept.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12301 users online. 438 members and 11863 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X