Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for the LAPD - Background question

Hey guys,

I am applying for LAPD, and I am on step 3 of 7 which is the Personal History Statement. When I was 12 I was in a stolen car, and the police officer ended up giving us both GTA, even though the driver told the cop that I didn't know that the car was stolen. Long story short it went to court, and it got dismissed then destroyed/sealed. I went to the police station, and even they can't find the record when I give them my ID.

I was still honest about it and put what happened in the PHS. Do you think this can effect me in anyway since I wasn't convicted? I will find out in 2 months it looks like, but want to see your guys perspective on it.

Thanks,
    Sam
    Last edited by Saman5; 11-18-2019, 10:29 PM.

Did you get a chance to speak with a recruiter?
    Sergeant, US Army 2004-2009
    Sergeant, Army National Guard 2009-2016
    The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

If you're completely honest about it, and if what you have told us is the truth, you won't have a problem getting hired somewhere; as for LAPD specifically I can't say. I worked with an officer who was arrested as a teenager for stealing a car, found guilty, but it was under a first offender act.

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorse6 View Post
        Did you get a chance to speak with a recruiter?
        Yes I spoke to one and he said based on my circumstances he doesn't think it should be a problem, but he said its up to the background investigator! He thinks I should be fine though! Still nervous about it!

Comment

Originally posted by emtguy89 View Post
          If you're completely honest about it, and if what you have told us is the truth, you won't have a problem getting hired somewhere; as for LAPD specifically I can't say. I worked with an officer who was arrested as a teenager for stealing a car, found guilty, but it was under a first offender act.
          Yeah I am definitely honest about it, as I have nothing to hide, and take full responsibility for my actions! Oh okay that seems worse than mine since I wasn't found guilty! Was he hired by the police department?

I know I am a good person, and one mistake from 16 years ago should not hinder my dreams of being a police officer. I know I can make a difference in my community, and I will if chosen to move forward!

Comment

Good luck to you.
            Sergeant, US Army 2004-2009
            Sergeant, Army National Guard 2009-2016
            The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Saman5 View Post

Yes I spoke to one and he said based on my circumstances he doesn't think it should be a problem, but he said its up to the background investigator! He thinks I should be fine though! Still nervous about it!
              The LAPD recruiters don't have anything to do with Backgrounds. Great folks, but they aren't well versed in the background process. You should be fine based on your explanation of the arrest. Be prepared to give a full explanation of the incident as well as any other potential criminal activity as a juvenile.
              Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
              http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

Originally posted by LA_Backgrounds View Post

The LAPD recruiters don't have anything to do with Backgrounds. Great folks, but they aren't well versed in the background process. You should be fine based on your explanation of the arrest. Be prepared to give a full explanation of the incident as well as any other potential criminal activity as a juvenile.
                Thank you so much LA_Backgrounds I really appreciate it! Do you also know if I can update my PHS if it has been submitted? I just remembered about a job I had 13 years ago that just popped in my head, that I want to put in there. It didn't show up on the workday, but I am sure they will find it, and I don't want to omit any information!

Comment

You can’t edit your PHS, but you can let your BI know at the Meet & Greet Interview. The BI won’t be that concerned unless it was a job you were fired.
                  Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
                  http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12285 users online. 447 members and 11838 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X