300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWAT Tryout

I recently put in for our SWAT team and I was curious on what kind of tactical scenarios they could run you through? Really any advice could be beneficial.

Learn to do the SWAT Roll.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Tactics aren't discussed here.

Comment

We used to do a live fire drill where we shot at the candidates and those who didn’t get hit would move on.

Comment

When I applied it was all cop 101, since that's the basis for everything else out there. There was a physical test, a psych screening and then an oral board where they asked about your intentions and motivations and discussed what I had done on patrol up until that point. After that it was a 3 week basic school where they taught you what they wanted and evaluated you on your ability to perform the taught skills on demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist1 View Post
            Tactics aren't discussed here.
            We can't even if we wanted to...those SWAT guys are ninjas and, if you're not part of the Secret SWAT Society, you can't even see what they do.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Try to work in the words "stack" and "breach", even if the conversation is about beekeeping or water skiing. You'll need a beard, some tats and a collection of size shmedium thin blue line UA T-shirts.

Comment

Ask about Training Day and The Handshake.

Comment

If you haven’t been talking with the guys on your department’s team for the last year and picking their brains, you’re way behind the 8 ball.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Every agency has a different method of selection. That said, there is really no answer to your question. You either have it, or you don't. I don't mean that to sound condescending, it's literally the reality of the situation. The speed in which your mind receives, processes, and reacts will likely be tested. Which, should be, faster than the average person already. But on SWAT it moves much faster. Especially if you don't have much prior tactical experience. I've seen some great street cops that just aren't cut out for SWAT. You can train and train, but for some people it just doesn't click. And that's fine, it's not for everyone. Best advice, train mentally just as much as you do physically. It really is a thinking game.

...oh and dumbell curls. Lots of dumbell curls! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ThinBlue404 View Post
                      ...oh and dumbell curls. Lots of dumbell curls! Good luck!
                      ...or you can just have the sleeves on your uniform shirts tailored in. Work smarter, not harder.
                      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• ThinBlue404
                        ThinBlue404 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        C'mon Bing...dry fit everything. Gotta keep people honest.

It's sort of like the movie "Mean Girls", except with unnecessarily expensive multi-cam Oakley tactical sunglasses.

Comment

Originally posted by KingCharles28 View Post
                        I recently put in for our SWAT team and I was curious on what kind of tactical scenarios they could run you through? Really any advice could be beneficial.
                        Buy a large supply of SWAT rocks and start practicing.

Comment

Originally posted by aidokea View Post
                          it's sort of like the movie "mean girls", except with unnecessarily expensive multi-cam oakley tactical sunglasses.

this!! Btdt.

Comment

Not getting perfect scores on qualification day? PT an afterthought? Need a supervisor to answer questions on a regular basis? SWAT is not your ideal career path.

Stop thinking of what type of scenarios will be presented and focus on preparing yourself for success. If you’re ready for the challenge, it won’t matter what scenarios are presented. Just saying.
                            Sergeant, US Army 2004-2009
                            Sergeant, Army National Guard 2009-2016
                            The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12678 users online. 497 members and 12181 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X