300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Sponsoring in the academy with previous marijuana use

Will self sponsoring with past marijuana use 30-40 times in a 4 year period give you better chance of getting hired In southern California? (after about 8 months to a year of no use) Note: was never a chronic nor consistent user but I was exposed to marijuana in college and I own up to my stupid mistakes.... This is the only thing holding me back so if I don't get hired will I give myself a better chance of getting picked up if I self sponsor? I'm located in southern California and just looking for an opportunity. Thank you in advance for reading and for any advice!

I can't speak for California specifically, but the time since last use is going to be a bigger issue than anything else. I wouldn't expect self sponsoring to help you in regards to overcoming your background of marijuana use.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Less than a year since last use is going to be a hard pass with most departments.

You'll want at least 2, and more is better. Most departments realize young people do dumb things but they want to see a definite break with that past before they hire.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• R.golden
        R.golden commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi ! thank you for the info. I have been doing a lot of volunteer work with charity organizations. I played 2 sports in college (and I have my degree) been working full time for a construction company for 3 years. I talked to SDPD recruiting and they said I should be "ok" after a year but that was a recruiter so not sure how reliable they are. Based on your experience and my qualifications would waiting an extra year be my best move or do you think they will give me a chance after a year? Thank you again for the response!

• tanksoldier
        tanksoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        If the department policy allows you to apply a year after last use, go ahead and apply. Chances are you won’t get hired first time around anyway. I read somewhere it averages something like 10 applications to get hired. If you qualify, apply. Worst they can do is say no... then apply somewhere else.

In California as a whole with every department hiring big and small there really is no need to self sponsor. It doesn't matter if you pay to play your history shows a lack of maturity.
      I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

• R.golden
        R.golden commented
        Editing a comment
        If I wait another year (that will be 2 years since any use) will I be good to Apply? Thank you for the information!

You need to find out the policy for each department that you are interested in. One year drug free sounds way to soon to me. Self sponsoring helps if you are applying to departments that only or prefer to hire certified candidates.

Comment

• R.golden
        R.golden commented
        Editing a comment
        I talked to SDPD and they said that 1 year with good volunteer work good references and signs of maturity I should be “ok” My buddy that works for LAPD said it’s a grey area with them due to it becoming legal at the state level. He said a year and I should be fine there from what he has heard from his co-workers and background investigators. So I thought I’d reach out to you guys. I’m not perfect but I work my *** off and I know this is what I want to do. I just want to show the departments that my past is my past I graduated college in 3 years with good grades I’m 21 living on my own working full time in the same company since I was 19. You guys know much much more than I do so I appreciate the advice. Do you also suggest waiting longer? Or after a year period go into the academy and hope to get picked up? Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Do they do random drug testing in college sports?

Comment

I played football and baseball at the D3 level so there were no testing. D1 is the only level I’m aware of that tests. I still shouldn’t have done it I have no excuse but stupidity on my part

Comment

Originally posted by R.golden View Post
          I played football and baseball at the D3 level so there were no testing. D1 is the only level I’m aware of that tests. I still shouldn’t have done it I have no excuse but stupidity on my part
          Yes, and no. Youth is where you’re supposed to be stupid. I didn’t smoke pit but I did plenty of other stupid things. We all did.

learn from it and move on.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by R.golden View Post
            Will self sponsoring with past marijuana use 30-40 times in a 4 year period give you better chance of getting hired In southern California? (after about 8 months to a year of no use) Note: was never a chronic nor consistent user but I was exposed to marijuana in college and I own up to my stupid mistakes.... This is the only thing holding me back so if I don't get hired will I give myself a better chance of getting picked up if I self sponsor? I'm located in southern California and just looking for an opportunity. Thank you in advance for reading and for any advice!
            It doesn't matter if you have five college degrees, the Congressional Medal of Honor and saved three orphans and two kittens on the way to your oral board. If there is something in your personal history that meets an agency's criteria dor disqualification, you will be DQed, no matter how much lipstick you put on the pig ahead of time.

Listen to what the others have said. Check first with each agency and see what their DQ criteria is with respect toi MJ use before even bothering to apply.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Each agency is different, but I would agree with the 1-2 years of distance. Speaking to recruiters and police officers only apply to those specific agencies. Marijuana use is still a potential DQ issue with LAPD because it's still illegal on the federal level and they haven't changed their standards even though California made it legal to use.
              Last edited by LA_Backgrounds; 11-12-2019, 11:57 PM.
              Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
              http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

We're not looking for "okay".

You need to realize that you're going to be competing against many other applicants, most of which did not suddenly decide to quit being Jeff Spicoli 8 months ago.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12668 users online. 496 members and 12172 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X