300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLOCK info needed...

I went shooting today, trying to figure out what gun fits me best for practicing before getting hired. I tried the Glock22, and it fired pretty well. I liked the weight and style, but accuracy was a little < satisfactory. You guys have any recommendations about what Glock model you prefer? OR any better "beginner" firearm for that matter?

Thanks in advance

I started with the Glock 22 as well. Try to put a few hundred or more rounds through it before making any judgments. I've heard people claim that the Glock will shoot a little low and to the left but somehow work itself out. I never had a problem like that but just letting you know.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Glock

Well what caliber weapon are you considering ? I own and carry a Glock model 22 in .40 caliber, I find it shoots well, I have had it since 2002 and fired probably more than 3000 rounds with not one malfunction. .40 caliber may be too much recoil for a beginner, try a 9mm at first, see how you shoot with it, remember that grip and trigger control mean a lot in target shooting. Good luck in LE and stay safe.
      law dog

Comment

I wouldn't work too much on shooting before you try to get hired... You may develop bad habits that a range instructor will have trouble fixing. It's easier to teach from nothing. And why spend 500 bucks on a gun when you very well may end up getting the same gun from your department?

On the accuracy, I carry a G22 and shoot in the 470's regularly. You are a beginner which brings your lack of ability into play.

Comment

Thats great advice. The best shooters are guys that come in with little or no experience. Listen to whatever your instructor tells you and follow it as closely as you can.

As far as the 22 being inaccurate, I doubt it. There is a reason that this is such a popular choice for agencies. The problem was likely inexperience.

Best of luck to you

Comment

Glock info

My personal experience with the Glock Model 22, 40.cal is good. That's me. I've made it a habit to not give too much advice to a new shooter. Your best training will come at the range at the Academy. Listen to what your instructor tells you.

Comment

If the accuracy was less than satisfactory, then it's you, not the gun. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. I agree with the above...don't pick up any bad habits and let the range instructor work with you.
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I agree with everyone else about waiting for academy training. However, if you really want a gun to shoot with, I'd go for the Glock 17. Same size and demensions as the Glock 22, but the ammo for it is significantly cheaper. I'd still rather have the 22 for a carry gun (21 would be my first choice), but for a practice gun, I'd go with the 17.
                Originally posted by kontemplerande
                Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Observations

Originally posted by pdulmer View Post
                  I went shooting today, trying to figure out what gun fits me best for practicing before getting hired. I tried the Glock22, and it fired pretty well. I liked the weight and style, but accuracy was a little < satisfactory. You guys have any recommendations about what Glock model you prefer? OR any better "beginner" firearm for that matter?

Thanks in advance
                  In my 13years of observation with regard to L.E. and probably 32years of shooting experience from age 8 to now. Id have to say for a beginner it's probably better to start our in a caliber that doesnt create a great deal of flinching and has lower recoil. I think a 40s&w may be more than one should walk in the door shooting. Try a 9mm then work your way up and definately use a full size duty gun until you get comfortable with the basics.
                  "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

I like the feel of the Glock 27 real good shooting weapon but this is not the size that will get you ready for training but for off duty carry one of the best if you go with Glock.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the Glock 22. It's either the sight alignment or something you're doing wrong. I can shoot a fly off a donkey's butt at 20 yards with mine. Well...not really....but I am pretty accurate.
                      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4279 users online. 241 members and 4038 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X