Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future Applicant Questions (Southern California)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Applicant Questions (Southern California)

I am looking to apply to either LAPD or SDPD and have been doing some pretty extensive research on how to make myself the best applicant I can be for those departments. I have several family members in law enforcement (in the southern California area) and would love to follow in their footsteps. I am an ex 2 sport college athlete and graduated college in 3 years (compared to 4) with all A's and B's. I have been working in project management for a construction company and was hired on as an intern while I was in college (3 years of full time work experience). I also currently live on my own and I am 21 years old. However, I have previous experience with marijuana in my life (best estimate is 30-40 times all isolated experiences, as in 1 hit or a couple hits once every couple of months). I never smoked on a regular basis nor did I like it but it was something that took place in my college days. I take full responsibility for my actions and I want to be completely transparent with that previous use. I have also tried adderall once 5 years ago to study for a test (this was a single time use and not very smart). I am about 6 months from my last exposure to marijuana (and have no plans to ever do it again). I have since decided that I want to be a police officer and have talked to SDPD and LAPD. They said to wait a year to give myself a better chance at getting hired. I have also been doing volunteer work at local animal shelters and local charity organizations. Any advice on how to continue to strengthen my application for these departments and further prove that I have matured and am fully committed to becoming a police officer? Is there a good chance that they still DQ me for the past marijuana use? Should I wait 6 more months or should I start the application process sooner? Or should I wait it out another year and a half to reach the two year mark? Should I self sponsor myself through the academy after a year of distance? Thank you in advance for any advice/info that anyone can give!

P.s- I know this is a long post but I'd thought I would just explain everything in my situation instead of leaving more to be desired. Thank you again for reading!
    Last edited by R.golden; 11-05-2019, 10:17 AM.

I would say that 30-40 times doesn't really qualify as "experimentation"

Most departments have at least a 2 or 3 year requirement between your last usage and application date

Comment

• R.golden
      R.golden commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it thank you for the information wrong word choice for the usage. I see it as experimentation (only because it became legal at the state level so I would try it from time to though the legal age is still 21) but I completely understand that in the eyes of law enforcement its not. Thats why I'm asking! Thank you for taking the time to give me some input!

Originally posted by R.golden View Post
    I am looking to apply to either LAPD or SDPD and have been doing some pretty extensive research on how to make myself the best applicant I can be for those departments. I have several family members in law enforcement (in the southern California area) and would love to follow in their footsteps. I am an ex 2 sport college athlete and graduated college in 3 years (compared to 4) with all A's and B's. I have been working in project management for a construction company and was hired on as an intern while I was in college (3 years of full time work experience). I also currently live on my own and I am 21 years old. However, I had experimented with marijuana in my life (best estimate is 30-40 times all isolated experiences, as in 1 hit or a couple hits once every couple of months). I never smoked on a regular basis nor did I like it but it was something that took place in my college days. I take full responsibility for my actions and I want to be completely transparent with that previous use. I have also tried adderall once 5 years ago to study for a test (this was a single time use and not very smart). I am about 6 months from my last exposure to marijuana (and have no plans to ever do it again). I have since decided that I want to be a police officer and have talked to SDPD and LAPD. They said to wait a year to give myself a better chance at getting hired. I have also been doing volunteer work at local animal shelters and local charity organizations. Any advice on how to continue to strengthen my application for these departments and further prove that I have matured and am fully committed to becoming a police officer? Is there a good chance that they still DQ me for the past marijuana use? Should I wait 6 more months or should I start the application process sooner? Or should I wait it out another year and a half to reach the two year mark? Should I self sponsor myself through the academy after a year of distance? Thank you in advance for any advice/info that anyone can give!

P.s- I know this is a long post but I'd thought I would just explain everything in my situation instead of leaving more to be desired. Thank you again for reading!
    What advice have your family members given you?

Comment

• R.golden
      R.golden commented
      Editing a comment
      They told me to wait it out at least through the year as its kind of a grey area in California now. That's why I have been volunteering and trying to be active in the community. SDPD recruiting said that I should be fine after a year. My uncle told me to join this forum to reach out and see what other people in LE have seen. And no better way to get answers than ask the professionals themselves.

• R.golden
      R.golden commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you have any advice/knowledge on the California hiring procedures with those 2 departments? They are the only 2 departments with no recency policy on their hiring sites (that are near me I'm in Orange County)

• not.in.MY.town
      not.in.MY.town commented
      Editing a comment
      R.golden Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the hiring standards of those two specific departments (or any California agencies) so I can't be of much help. However, it would seem that following the advice of the respective departments' recruiting units is your safest bet. Then again, if you apply now, the worst that can happen is that they tell you to re-apply in X amount of time. Good luck you.

My dept no longer asks about past marijuana usage. The Adderall maybe an issue though.

Comment

• R.golden
      R.golden commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it thank you! yeah I was 17 when I tried adderall I didnt really know if that counted as an amphetamine or if it was frowned upon significantly but I have never done/nor tried any other drug in my life

It's a shame that so much good and promising characteristics are being undone by some recent dumb decisions.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by R.golden View Post
      I am looking to apply to either LAPD or SDPD and have been doing some pretty extensive research on how to make myself the best applicant I can be for those departments. I have several family members in law enforcement (in the southern California area) and would love to follow in their footsteps. I am an ex 2 sport college athlete and graduated college in 3 years (compared to 4) with all A's and B's. I have been working in project management for a construction company and was hired on as an intern while I was in college (3 years of full time work experience). I also currently live on my own and I am 21 years old. However, I had experimented with marijuana in my life (best estimate is 30-40 times all isolated experiences, as in 1 hit or a couple hits once every couple of months). I never smoked on a regular basis nor did I like it but it was something that took place in my college days. I take full responsibility for my actions and I want to be completely transparent with that previous use. I have also tried adderall once 5 years ago to study for a test (this was a single time use and not very smart). I am about 6 months from my last exposure to marijuana (and have no plans to ever do it again). I have since decided that I want to be a police officer and have talked to SDPD and LAPD. They said to wait a year to give myself a better chance at getting hired. I have also been doing volunteer work at local animal shelters and local charity organizations. Any advice on how to continue to strengthen my application for these departments and further prove that I have matured and am fully committed to becoming a police officer? Is there a good chance that they still DQ me for the past marijuana use? Should I wait 6 more months or should I start the application process sooner? Or should I wait it out another year and a half to reach the two year mark? Should I self sponsor myself through the academy after a year of distance? Thank you in advance for any advice/info that anyone can give!

Minimizing your past indiscretions will be your downfall.

IE
      "experimenting 30-40 times"
      "
      "I was 17 when I tried adderall I didnt really know if that counted as an amphetamine or if it was frowned upon significantly but I have never done/nor tried any other drug in my life"

OWN your past . Be very upfront with your past. I agree that the Adderal is more problematic than the dope smoking AS LONG AS YOU DON'T try to minimize your poor decisions
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• R.golden
        R.golden commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the advice I changed the wording of the post as well. Would you suggest me self sponsoring myself through the academy? I have a friend in a similar situation who self sponsored and got hired while he was in the academy. He had similar exposure as me.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12627 users online. 491 members and 12136 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X