Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is too old?

Hello,
    So how old is too old to become a police officer? I was enrolled in the police academy last month but then I realized I really was not ready mentally and prepared to change my entire life. I decided that I should finish school and get some more life experience for about 3-4 years. If i do this though I will be 28-29 and i'm a little worried that, that might be too old for me.

It depends on the person. I graduated from my last academy at age 44.

What's your 1.5 mile run time?

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
      It depends on the person. I graduated from my last academy at age 44.

What's your 1.5 mile run time?
      13:20 is what I got a few months ago but im sure i can do it in 12:30. Im constantly going to Muay Thai, running, and the gym. Im ready physically for the academy but the reason why I pulled out was because I wasn't mentally ready.

Comment

Judas Priest.

I attended the police academy at 43 after retiring from the Army.

28? That’s not too old, it’s barely old enough.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Winter94
          Winter94 commented
          Editing a comment
          Im assuming people in your academy were all round their 30s then?

• tanksoldier
          tanksoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          No... most were in their 20s. I was the oldest by a fair margin, I think the next was 35 or so.

Me. I am too old to go through all that again. I have 2 grown children, 9 grandchildren, 4 great-grandchildren (and another due any day).

Age 29 with a good education and solid background, probably just about right for entry level; much better than a 21 year old hotshot with big dreams of changing the world. Applicants well into their 30's and 40's can make a positive contribution to many agencies.

Me, I'm just too old, too broke down, too worn out. I would not be a good new hire at all.

Comment

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post

Me, I'm just too old, too broke down, too worn out. I would not be a good new hire at all.
          I hear ya brother
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

then I realized I really was not ready mentally and prepared to change my entire life.

At 25 years old? Dude, seriously.....
            It is not the well-fed long-haired men that I fear, but the pale and hungry-looking.

-Julius Ceasar

Comment

• Winter94
              Winter94 commented
              Editing a comment
              Didnt click quote.
              Last edited by Winter94; 10-25-2019, 12:40 PM.

But to answer your question, at my last academy (there were several), I turned 40. Icy Hot and ibuprofen helped but for the most part, I was smart about how I trained and stood back as the kids tried to out PT each other...
            It is not the well-fed long-haired men that I fear, but the pale and hungry-looking.

-Julius Ceasar

Comment

It kills me when people in their twenties wonder if they are too old.

Comment

Originally posted by Winter94 View Post
                Hello,
                So how old is too old to become a police officer? I was enrolled in the police academy last month but then I realized I really was not ready mentally and prepared to change my entire life. I decided that I should finish school and get some more life experience for about 3-4 years. If i do this though I will be 28-29 and i'm a little worried that, that might be too old for me.
                Looks like you have more of a maturity problem! Wasn't "prepared to change my entire life?" What do you mean by that?

Comment

• Winter94
                  Winter94 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Didn’t click quote
                  Last edited by Winter94; 10-25-2019, 12:42 PM.

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

At 25 years old? Dude, seriously.....
                I know how it sounds but all my life i've lived in a comfortable bubble and didn't put myself in uncomfortable positions in order to grow up. I worry a lot of about the smallest crap and my life experience is pretty much little to none. Its sad to say but I realized this at 25...

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post

Looks like you have more of a maturity problem! Wasn't "prepared to change my entire life?" What do you mean by that?

Yea I realized that im not very mature at all. I worry a lot over the smallest things, dont have much life experience, never stuck around a job longer than 7 months(besides one job), and still sitting at 90% done with my college degree. Also with the life change I should say just the amount of stress that comes with the job

Comment

At the academy now. I am 30. Oldest guy is in late 40s.

Comment

Two guys in my academy class were in their 40s and were leading the pack. I struggled to keep up with them in my mid-20s. One of them had 10 years experience in another state, plus military experience; other guy was just a regular dude, but worked multiple jobs for about a year to save enough money to sponsor himself and still pay all the bills while he was in the academy. It's all about how bad you want it.

Comment

• westside popo
                        westside popo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There was 1 or 2 that we're in their 50s in my academy class.

Your so young you don't even know what old is. Add 10 years to your age and you would still be fine. Some could argue your too young but nobody would say 29 is too old.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6681 users online. 375 members and 6306 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X