Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on hiring issue with a department

Hi,

First off thanks for a lot of the great informantion you guys put on this forum. Currently, I'm about to enter the hiring process to become an LEO and I have learned a great deal.

My issue is with a particular department in my area. A few years ago (5 years I believe) I had I was pulled over for speeding in a parking structure (25 in a 15). Officer requested to search my car, and i politely refused as I was late to meet some people. The officer pulled me out of the car and locked my fingers together spraining 2 fingers on my left hand. He then proceeded with the threat of arrest if I didnt allow him to search my car. He did, took 45 min, found nothing and I was on my way. I went to the hospital and was treated and had $700 dollars in medical bills.I then a claim against the city, they stated that I had to file a complaint to move forward on a claim. I filed a complaint which came back as unfounded ( not too sure on the wording, but nothing came of it) and the city paid my medical bills.

My question is this: Now I would like to work for this city, and would like to know some opinions on the situation.

The city is a beach community with relatively low crime and the department just recieved a new HUGE contract ( $110k/yr top step patrol).

Should i just avoid this can of worms and try for another city? Go in and be honest and upfront with the situation and hope they still hire me?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Issue With a Department

Well, I would say for you to go ahead and apply. If you advance far enough into the hiring process for the situation to come up as a question, be honest concerning it. Obviously, I'm not going to get into the "merits" of your claim against the city. At the bottom of it all, the mere fact that you may have had a claim against the city does not preclude you from applying to it for employment.

Comment

Just a few questions here. Why are you now trying to get on with this department? You had a poor experience with one of their officers which prompted you to take action against them, it seems strange to me that you would want to open this "can of worms" as you put it. You mention the dpartments pay, 100k for top step and the fact that the city is in a nice crime free beach front area. While that appeals to me now, 20 years into the game, as a young "ghetto gunslinger" the only draw that department would have for me would be the possible eye candy and "badge bunnies".

I don't think you should have a problem getting on. However, how big is this department? Is the officer you had the incident with still on this department? If so, what is he doing now? Is he no longer just pushing a radio car, but an upper echelon guy in charge of, say, training or some other special unit? This sounds like a small department, so it may be tough to "hide" in. Heck, I work for a department of 10,000 coppers, and I can't hide worth a crap! This guy may (probably) have a number of friends on the department and he may be a vindicitive guy who would love to make life miserable for the guy who kept him from getting into that specialized unit he was passed up for, and have friends to help him in this area.

All I'm saying is do you think it is worth what could be a painful, expensive (as to your time) potentially sad experience for you just to join this department? There are a number of fine, smaller departments in the SoCal area with some nice bikini, errr, beach front areas you could look into.
      Carpe Noctem

Comment

The department is Huntington Beach, I believe they are almost 200 officers strong. The officers I had issues with are still with the department and still on beach front patrol ( foot patrol in bar/ pier area).

Huntignton Beach is regarded in my area as one of the top departments to work for. Long Beach, LAPD, OC and LA Sheriffs are all flocking over to them which I took as a sign that they are worth working for. I have also grown up in Huntington Beach and I know and appreciate the city very much. I would like to own my first home in the city, and now a career protecting its way of life.

Comment

Issues with a Department.

John, with all the Officers from LBPD,LASO.LAPD,OCSO, heading over to Huntington Beach, how good do you think your chances are? (Entry Level). Not saying to not apply, but a whole lot of agencies are going to prefer an Officer with a POST Certificate. This observation isn't intended to disuade you from applying, it's merely a thought.

Comment

You're right John, a number of deputies from LASD have headed to Huntington Beach. It's a very good department with some fine coppers. Phillip has a very valid point, there are a number of guys with 10 plus years on other departments hiring on with HBPD, so you may have a tough time getting on. HBPD contracts with LASD for academy positions (or they used to about 10 years ago) as well as using Rio Hondo graduates for selection. I know the summer time around there can be fun, I responded out there for a nice little July 4th "mini riot" a bunch of years back.

Good luck, but remember, living in the area you patrol is a double edged sword. Arresting your next door neighbor for tuning up his wife makes life a lot harder than you might think.
            Carpe Noctem

Comment

Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE View Post
              J You mention the dpartments pay, 100k for top step and the fact that the city is in a nice crime free beach front area. While that appeals to me now, 20 years into the game, as a young "ghetto gunslinger" the only draw that department would have for me would be the possible eye candy and "badge bunnies".
              EM, I've got to say, "Ouch!" I work for one of those "beach" departments and believe me there's plenty of crime and bad guys to keep even a "ghetto gunslinger" happy. The difference between my department and areas like ELA, Newton Division (LAPD), Pomona, etc...is that rather than chasing radio calls where the suspects were, we have time to find the suspects where they are and (hopefully) prevent them from doing something by being proactive. I know there may be more bad guys living in your area than mine on a per capita basis, but lets face it when the weather's hot they usually have the means and motivation to go to the beach and believe me they go!
              The other differences are extremely important too: Pay, benefits and working conditions. When you're active in LE your off-duty lifestyle (home, car, leisure time, family concerns) are governed by your income. Your retirement check is determined not by the memories of days gone by, but by your last pay/benefit levels-something to think about when you're looking to get hired, not after working 20+ years. Finally, working conditions mean more than just the availability of "bad guys." They mean good cars, safety equipment, hours (4/10 or 3/12 vs 8 hr days/5 day weeks), assignments and other "perks" (yes includes the beach "views") that keep morale high.

I say look for the overall best and go for it. If you've lived in HB, like the city and can do the job, give it a shot John. Chances are the officer you had the run in with won't even remember you (if you don't say anything). I do agree with EM about not living where you work, but I work with a lot of officers who do live here and their comfortable with their decision.
              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Puli, I agree with you 100%, I was merely talking about my self personally. Hindsight being 20/20, maybe I would have loved working my whole career in another city with another department. I just remember being a 20 year old kid ready to go 10-8, and I knew what I wanted then. I was in no way trying to be critical of the department or the city in any way.

I loved "chasing the box" going from shooting to shooting and dealing with gangsters and pooh butts. When I was younger. Now, I like the hide and seek game of cops and robbers and showing my trainees the finer things about patrol. I also liked the part that when I left my patrol area, I was away from it and it's inhabitants. Heck, now that I work a quieter area, which is a great little community, I still like leaving it and it's citizens behind for my home town and it's own crazies that I don't know so well!
                Carpe Noctem

Comment

Hot calls can be interesting, but in my book there's nothing more satisfying than a good "Obs." And running plates for stolens don't count!
                  "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have put a lot of serious thought about patroling the city I would like to live in. I myself do not mind the risk, but I do plan to have a wife and children.

Comment

Originally posted by johnspartan View Post
                      Thanks for the input. I have put a lot of serious thought about patroling the city I would like to live in. I myself do not mind the risk, but I do plan to have a wife and children.
                      Valid point john.
                      Carpe Noctem

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5359 users online. 313 members and 5046 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X