Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost ticket book

Hi all,

I was at Americas 400th Aniversary celebration today and found a ticket book. (Is that the offical name?). I returned it to a State Trooper.

After thinking about it, I have a few questions.

1. How accountable are you for a ticket book?

2. What happens when a ticket book is lost? i.e. Paper work.

3. Hypothetical>If I was caught with a ticket book not being LE what would I be charged with? Assuming I didn't steal it but found it.

Thanks

Originally posted by iMarkVideo View Post
    Hi all,

I was at Americas 400th Aniversary celebration today and found a ticket book. (Is that the offical name?). I returned it to a State Trooper.

After thinking about it, I have a few questions.

1. How accountable are you for a ticket book?

2. What happens when a ticket book is lost? i.e. Paper work.

3. Hypothetical>If I was caught with a ticket book not being LE what would I be charged with? Assuming I didn't steal it but found it.

Thanks

I used to grab 4 "books" of 25 cites at a time. No one kept track of the cite numbers. If I made a mistake while writing one, I simply tore it up. It only matters once a defendant signs it and gets a copy. At least in my agency, a ticket book was kind of like a blank report form, which mean it was a PIECE OF PAPER. If you got "caught" with one? No one would give a rat's. If you put red lights on your car and tried to get folks to sign one as a citizen, you'd be in a heap of trouble, boy.

Comment

In my agency every citation is an accountable item and is highly controlled. There is a number on the top. Each number is entered in the computer. There is no tearing up a citation. If one is written and there's a mistake a report has to be generated and only the district commander can sign off voiding the ticket. It is then entered as void in the computer.
      If you were in possession of a ticket book you could be changed with theft of lost or mislaid property.
      183 FBINA

Comment

All tickets are accounted for and if a police officer lost it he would have some explaining to do. You did the right thing turning it in .
        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

I always thought it was weird that we could just tear up un-issued cites, but I was glad because I tended to destroy quite a few. The cite numbers only got entered once they were turned in. As far as my comment that no one would care if you held on to a "lost" book, I retract that. It DOES have the agency's name on it, therefore making it obviously belonging to someone other than you. Good job turning it in.

Comment

Hmmm, things must be really different in Cali. We account for all tickets here and I thank you for turning it in...that Officer could have been a bit of hot water.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I think we may have been the exception. I remember the dept trying a "sign-out" sheet for the cite books a time or two, but it never really lasted. But, really, until a cite is issued and signed by someone, it's just a blank form.
              Last edited by LuvedMyMotor; 05-12-2007, 10:11 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Lost Ticket Book

In Alabama, all citations are accounted for. We issue what is known as an Alabama Uniform Traffic Citation(UTC). Every agency in the state uses the same citation. The issuing agency is identified by a number specific to itself. On Alabama DPS, losing a citation book would be frowned on. In common with LUV My Motor, I'd often be issued more than one 25 citation book. You did the right thing by turning the book in.

Comment

Thanks guys,

by the way, I was at the celebration again tonight and there were a few of the new police Dodge Chargers. Slick!!!!!! I spoke to one of the LEO's that had one and he had a permenant grin on his face.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4851 users online. 275 members and 4576 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X