Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What qualities are most departments looking for in a applicant in Southern Cali?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What qualities are most departments looking for in a applicant in Southern Cali?

I'm just wondering what most departments are looking for as far an applicant. I've been denied by some agencies without much of a reason why I was denied, I feel in a way it could be that I don't have any military experience or my bachelors or master degree. I do have a few things on my background but it isn't anything that would automatically get me disqualified and I do have my associates degree. I am in the process with one department now for a deputy sheriff and a detentions officer. I am in backgrounds and originally I only went out for deputy sheriff but my investigator recommended also detentions to get my foot in the door and he said I am probably leaning more that route if I am accepted. Just wanted to see what most departments may be looking for, I do have work experience, not in law enforcements but things that do relate somewhat as well as I was top Track and Field competitor in high school and college where I went to state.

If you are being non selected, then you do have an issue in your past.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      If you are being non selected, then you do have an issue in your past.
      I agree.

A lack of a Masters/Bachelors Degree would not be the reason you are being passed over for a Deputy or Detention Officer position. I mean, do you know many Detention Officers struggling to obtain their Doctorate ?

When you said " I do have a few things on my background "......well there you go.

It is your choice to provide that information about your past, at least a hint (shoplifting, reckless driving?) but without more info who knows what the issue is.
      John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

I do have issues with my background, I received 2 carpool violations in the past. One in 2017 and another in 2016. I lost a job I had back in 2012 and I was deactivated for being an uber/lyft driver for ride cancellation in 2018. Besides that I have never taken drugs or committed any crimes. I am a top employee at my current job for now 21/2 years and have received employee of the quarter. I just honestly think that there are many departments where the competition is much stiffer because people are applying with high degrees and military experience

Comment

Originally posted by CHPstrong View Post
          I do have issues with my background, I received 2 carpool violations in the past. One in 2017 and another in 2016. I lost a job I had back in 2012 and I was deactivated for being an uber/lyft driver for ride cancellation in 2018. Besides that I have never taken drugs or committed any crimes. I am a top employee at my current job for now 21/2 years and have received employee of the quarter. I just honestly think that there are many departments where the competition is much stiffer because people are applying with high degrees and military experience
          Honestly, carpool violations alone sound minor to me, and the "lost job" if it is a lay off, wouldn't necessarily your fault, unless you meant you were fired/terminated ?

You said you had a Associates degree, better than nothing.

I just don't think a couple driving infractions from 2-3 years ago is anything to worry about.

You were asking specifically about Southern California, so I am from NC, I am not sure about the job market out there, so I hope someone from that area can speak up and help.

John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Are you making it to the interview stage or not?

Comment

Hello just joe,
              Yes I am in backgrounds and my next steps is just the physical, attend as much volunteer workouts as I can and attend a detention facility walkthrough then I have a voice stress test/polygraph along with a interview with the LT I believe

Comment

In California?

A pulse and naivety.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Well, there's something coming up that you're not keying into. Are you being DQ'd or non-selected?
                  Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
                  http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

It's not your education- I got hired twice, without even a high school diploma, and those were the only two agencies I've ever applied to.

It's something else...

Comment

OP, I don't know you, and I don't know what agencies you are applying to, but it is important to understand that your life choices can affect your ability to get hired.

And if you're applying in a liberal-run "sanctuary city" type environment, some of the life choices that can make it much harder to get hired, would include things like choosing to be born white, choosing to be born male, choosing to be born heterosexual, and so on.

When dealing with "diversity goals", it is important to realize that to liberals, the word "diversity" does not include white heterosexual males. So if you have made any of those poor life choices, you might want to work on those things.

I was fortunate enough to be able to get hired in two extremely liberal places in spite of my poor life choices in the areas mentioned above, but not every applicant is as fortunate as I was.

If you have made poor life choices in the areas mentioned above, maybe it would help for you to tell them that you identify as a lesbian trapped in a man's body, of South African descent.
                      Last edited by Aidokea; 10-19-2019, 10:14 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11907 users online. 449 members and 11458 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X