Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing the Law

few questions:

1.Ok, I know there is no ignorance for the law. But how can anyone possibly know every law? I mean even the basic laws? I think schools should have at least 1 class teaching people the basic rights when being arrested. You can call it ignorance but not everyone went to law school or even familiar with the law. So if a 16 year old kid, who doesn't know much, get's pulled over and the officer asks him to open the trunk.. how is he going to protect his rights?
    He doesn't know what rights he has.

2. why is there a quota system for arrests made? did you ever make an arrest and booked someone for something you believe he didn't do? Seems like sometimes it can't be helped and there are people being freed all the time after being locked up for 15+ years! Reasonable doubt my butt.

3. Traffic laws seem to be ridiculous to me (although necessary). Some places its enforced and some places it is never enforced. There is prejudice as well. I live near Manhattan and the cab drivers probably break every traffic law imaginable. Is that fair?

4. marijuana use at home (not driving a vehicle or using machinery) vs cigarette use. what do you guys think? cigarettes kill more ppl than anything else. this country is run by evil corporations, corrupt politicians, and lawmakers. that's y cigarettes are legal.

I apologize for making it so long..
    I am not trying to put LEO down in anyway but i think these are hard questions to answer. Most laws have a purpose, but I think there are many unreasonable ones... yet it seems officers agree when they have no choice in making the laws. But anyways.. to me..ignorance of the law seems like the worst one. Yeah it is accessible to the whole public, but most people don't even know where to look for it. we can't memorize every law.. so laws that are not common sense are tested by trial n error. how is this fair?

There are too many grey areas.. I think that if I became a LEO I'd just consider it a job. Especially since I'd have to enforce things I don't agree with.

just wanted to add that alcohol kills more brain cells that marijuana... n it actually isolates and traps cancer cells.. pretty amazing illegal drug
    Last edited by Kangol160; 05-11-2007, 12:41 AM.

Oh boy....no comment.

Comment

well maybe not ridiculous per se but this is what happened to me in real life..

I've been in a car many times going 130+ with friends who race. And these are on highly congested, narrow, highways in the city. I went upstate to visit a friend and did 100 on a wide open road.

Worst case scenario and somehow i lost control of the car i wouldve crashed into the bushes. In the city going 130+ and no cop in sight..(ever).. in a highly congested highway, there can be fatal consequences.

Now.. where is the logic behind watching open highways in the countryside with barely any cars, straight smooth roads with no potholes (unlike the city where potholes are every 20 feet), and a car very capable of handling such speeds.

On the highway everyone goes over 65, if you go 65 or under, you will be tailgated, cursed at, highbeamed, and ppl will throw up the finger. I think it's because driving tests are too easy and dmv ppl r idiots, that give licenses to anyone. There is just too many incompetent drivers to raise the speed limit. And American ****mobiles like Oldmobile cannot handle such speeds.

i guess we cant be "truly free" without giving up many things. but seriously the 65mph speed limit is hilarious.. can you think of 1 person, that isn't your grandma, that actually obeys this law. Cmon everyone goes at least 3 mph over it each day.

Comment

I've been in a car many times going 130+ with friends who race. And these are on highly congested, narrow, highways in the city. I went upstate to visit a friend and did 100 on a wide open road.

Worst case scenario and somehow i lost control of the car i wouldve crashed into the bushes. In the city going 130+ and no cop in sight..(ever).. in a highly congested highway, there can be fatal consequences.
        Both of these scenarios risk fatal consequences. The city scenario just heeds a likelihood of more people killed because it is in a high population area.

Keep going 130+ and I or my counterparts will eventually be scraping you and/or your friends off the road.

If you don't like the speed limits, write your legislator. We enforce the laws, we don't write em.

why is there a quota system for arrests made?
        Quotas are a myth. Don't believe everything you hear from your friends. Obviously if officers are out everyday and they don't write any traffic tickets are make any arrests then they are really not doing their job are they?

Trial by jury is about the fairest you are going to get. It is a trial where the evidence is presented in front of joe citizen. Obviously there are flaws, but if you know of a better way, feel free to enlighten those at the Capitol.

It is up to the public to know the laws of the country where they live. Ignorance is not an excuse.

p.s... Zachari, if you are not a LEO, then you do not need to answer in the "ask a cop" section. Normally people who do so are banned from this site on first offense.
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

I am not trying to put LEO down in anyway
          BullSh**!

I think that if I became a LEO I'd just consider it a job
          No danger of that.

Yeah it is accessible to the whole public, but most people don't even know where to look for it
          Spend as much time in the library as you do smoking pot and maybe you'd learn a thing or to.
          Last edited by Tazer101; 05-11-2007, 05:56 AM.

Comment

If you think you're going to walk away from a crash at 100 mph you're crazy! Like Sgt Scott said you keep it up and you'll be scraped out of the bushes, trees, etc.
            "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Kangol........I have to watch my language here........but your post is nonsense to put it mildly........nowhere in the confines of NYC can you do 130 on a crowded highway........you're lucky if you can do 45. Any place that is used for drag racing is visited regularly by the NYPD. Quotas for parkers are possible, but quotas for crimes do not exist. The executive branch and the legislative branch (Mayor and City Council) may urge the PD to enforce certains laws more strictly than others, but that is their function. Laws are not tested by trial and error.......they are created after much debate in legislative bodies and then reviewed by the Courts to determine if they are constitutional.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kangol160 View Post

Now.. where is the logic behind watching open highways in the countryside with barely any cars, straight smooth roads with no potholes (unlike the city where potholes are every 20 feet), and a car very capable of handling such speeds.
                  It's very logical. Some laws are written to protect the individual person because people are not smart enough or do not have enough common sense to act in a way which would prevent themselves from being harmed.
                  Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Kangol160
                    Forum Member

Posts: 12 well maybe not ridiculous per se but this is what happened to me
                    PHP Code:
                    in real life..

I've been in a car many times going 130+ with friends who race. And these are on highly congested, narrow, highways in the city. I went upstate to visit a friend and did 100 on a wide open road. 

[COLOR="Red"]Worst case scenario and somehow i lost control of the car i wouldve crashed into the bushes[/COLOR]. In the city going 130+ and no cop in sight..(ever).. in a highly congested highway, there can be fatal consequences. 

[COLOR="red"]Now.. where is the logic behind watching open highways in the countryside with barely any cars, straight smooth roads with no potholes (unlike the city where potholes are every 20 feet), and a car very capable of handling such speeds.[/COLOR] 

Did you think about the wildlife, or sharp turns, hills in the wide open country side. Not to long ago, a young highschool student thought the same thing. Wanted to go fast and take the hills to get a almost weightless feeling. Well he took one hill too fast (and not big hills either) I believe 100+ the car went airbone, flipped and they were killed.

So you keep thinkling 130 is safe on country roads. And when you hit a deer, or swerve to miss an animal, and are killed or injuried, will your family think its safe...
                    IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
                    -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Comment

Knowing the Law

I'm probably wasting my time, but it's mine to waste. If it's any comfort to you, Supreme Court Justices have to "look up" law. So do trial court judges, attorneys, paralegals, court clerks, and cops. As a previous member noted, "We don't write em, we enforce em". From your perspective as a civilian, your best friend is common sense. To that add, powers of observation. Common sense, provided you have it, will get you out of more trouble than all the attorneys in the world. Powers of observation complement common sense very well. Powers of observation are what lead you to observe the speed limit sign, or stop sign, that you could be cited for exceeding or running. Common sense kicks in when you decide to obey the posted regulatory signs. The use of both common sense and powers of observation make it almost totally uneccessary for you to worry about whether or not we have a "quota".

Comment

Originally posted by VACOP1 View Post

Did you think about the wildlife, or sharp turns, hills in the wide open country side. Not to long ago, a young highschool student thought the same thing. Wanted to go fast and take the hills to get a almost weightless feeling. Well he took one hill too fast (and not big hills either) I believe 100+ the car went airbone, flipped and they were killed.

So you keep thinkling 130 is safe on country roads. And when you hit a deer, or swerve to miss an animal, and are killed or injuried, will your family think its safe...
                        Exactly. Well said. Common sense tells [B]most[B] of us that there are other variables which could help contribute to crashes. I suspect one of us on this website will be making notification to his family before its all over.
                        Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP......

How much money do you spend on your hat collection KANGOL?
                          More than any cop does probably, dont try to be an L.E.O in real life, we dont make a lot of money...
                          I got nothing for now

Comment

Yo kangol I dont think that your dense but...

Originally posted by Kangol160 View Post
                            few questions:

1.Ok, I know there is no ignorance for the law. But how can anyone possibly know every law? I mean even the basic laws? I think schools should have at least 1 class teaching people the basic rights when being arrested. You can call it ignorance but not everyone went to law school or even familiar with the law. So if a 16 year old kid, who doesn't know much, get's pulled over and the officer asks him to open the trunk.. how is he going to protect his rights?
                            He doesn't know what rights he has.

2. why is there a quota system for arrests made? did you ever make an arrest and booked someone for something you believe he didn't do? Seems like sometimes it can't be helped and there are people being freed all the time after being locked up for 15+ years! Reasonable doubt my butt.

3. Traffic laws seem to be ridiculous to me (although necessary). Some places its enforced and some places it is never enforced. There is prejudice as well. I live near Manhattan and the cab drivers probably break every traffic law imaginable. Is that fair?

4. marijuana use at home (not driving a vehicle or using machinery) vs cigarette use. what do you guys think? cigarettes kill more ppl than anything else. this country is run by evil corporations, corrupt politicians, and lawmakers. that's y cigarettes are legal.

I apologize for making it so long..
                            I am not trying to put LEO down in anyway but i think these are hard questions to answer. Most laws have a purpose, but I think there are many unreasonable ones... yet it seems officers agree when they have no choice in making the laws. But anyways.. to me..ignorance of the law seems like the worst one. Yeah it is accessible to the whole public, but most people don't even know where to look for it. we can't memorize every law.. so laws that are not common sense are tested by trial n error. how is this fair?

There are too many grey areas.. I think that if I became a LEO I'd just consider it a job. Especially since I'd have to enforce things I don't agree with.

just wanted to add that alcohol kills more brain cells that marijuana... n it actually isolates and traps cancer cells.. pretty amazing illegal drug
                            1. I agree that kids should be taught in school about basic laws in their state. But not so they can refuse to cooperate with the police in either a P/C search or any other lawful request they make. Problem is the public schools teach about how to put on a rubber and briefly cover US history so they can spend more time covering the civil rights movement .
                            2. Ive been a Police Officer 13yrs and we have never had "quotas" u speak of.
                            3.Traffic laws seem ridiculious to you or Necessary? Which is it? The exist to protect you and others. The reason they arent actively enforced is because we are too busy running calls for service to do anything proactive most of the time because if people need help tying their shoes they call 911"
                            4.Marijuana isnt in my opinion as destructive as alcohol but it is illegal,so what I think is a moot point because I enforce the laws.
                            5.ignorance of the law is not an excuse. I agree it would be benefical to teach kids in school in the state they live in what is against the law. You say people shouldn't be expected to know all the laws but funny thing is cops are supposed to and we dont even have law degrees and get paid pathetically and give free legal advice all the time. I havent enforced every law and I never will..it isnt reasonable to think cops enforce to the letter of the law or we'd make 100 arrest a day to include traffic. Most cops enforce laws that affect public safety or crimes that involve some type of victim and take a common sense approach to enforcement. Furthurmore, cops enforce what they will know will fly in their courts because bottom line is the judge in their jurisdiction is who sets the rules. Hope this has been helpful. I havent seen a kangol since the 80's by the way.
                            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

He doesn't know what rights he has. Then he needs to study a bit harder, if someone is not familiar with their basic constitutional rights then they get what they have coming

2. why is there a quota system for arrests made? did you ever make an arrest and booked someone for something you believe he didn't do? Seems like sometimes it can't be helped and there are people being freed all the time after being locked up for 15+ years! Reasonable doubt my butt. Cops are humans, we make mistakes. There are no quotas for arrests, I have met someofficers who would make arrests on charges that I would not touch and I am sure that I have made arrests or conducted searches where others may not have been comfortable, but I have never met an officer who made an arrest because he was not confident in the probable cause.

3. Traffic laws seem to be ridiculous to me (although necessary). Some places its enforced and some places it is never enforced. There is prejudice as well. I live near Manhattan and the cab drivers probably break every traffic law imaginable. Is that fair? We can't be everywhere, pick you battles.

4. marijuana use at home (not driving a vehicle or using machinery) vs cigarette use. what do you guys think? cigarettes kill more ppl than anything else. this country is run by evil corporations, corrupt politicians, and lawmakers. that's y cigarettes are legal. While I have met plenty of people who smoke weed who are not crackheads, I have never met a crackhead who never smoked weed.

just wanted to add that alcohol kills more brain cells that marijuana... n it actually isolates and traps cancer cells.. I know plenty of people who have a beer or glass of wine every night and are intelligent, productive members of society, I have never met someone who smokes a blunt every night who falls into that category.
                              "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6291 users online. 335 members and 5956 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X