• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Welfare Check

Originally posted by core View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions X2; I will try them. And yes there may be a day when I need assistance, and _I_ will call for it, or my live-in girlfriend will. If I am unable to call then it will make no difference if a welfare check happens to be made when someone comes by say 2 weeks after the accident, death, etc.

SgtScott: Not even sure where to begin with that response. I'd love to see how friendly and responsive you'd be when these folks came to your house at 4am.

And I frankly don't care what random people feel the need to mettle in my business. The people in question are _not_ "friends". In fact just last week the guy from this incident was advised of criminal trespass. During the 2 years since the window incident I politely tried everything I could. Finally there was just no other way. I had forgotten to lock the door, he let himself in, annoyed me for over an hour with his prescription drug induced babble, and eventually got out of control and slammed my computer equipment around when I explained that I needed to resume my work.

This is the kind of people whose actions you are defending.

I'm a computer programmer and work from home. I cannot afford to be interrupted throughout the day. I feel it's better all-around to simply not answer the door rather than telling them to go away and slamming the door. (Politely explaining that I'm working does not work with these people.) Is wanting to be left alone to get work done selfish? Maybe.

Obviously I should have been more careful of who I politely let talk my ear off when I first moved here. Little late for that now.

Back to the original topic: I find it very sad that:

1. Someone can pick your name out of a phone book and have you roused by the cops at 4am. They don't even have to be in the same state! Here's an idea for the troublemakers: Pick a city that has a live scanner feed on the internet. Call in a welfare check and listen to the fun!

2. Your neighbor who is upset about a fence placement issue can wait for you to visit your mother out of town. Then call and have the window legally busted out whilst you aren't even home.
    You brought the subject up. You got answers. What's your problem?

Leave a comment:

• yessemi
    replied
    Core...thanks for the clarity. I know it takes a while to explain more of the scenario, but it helps us if we receive all the information we can to provide you with a better or more proper solutioin. Hopefully, some of the suggestions here will help you.

Leave a comment:

• padowan
    replied
    If you haven't done so already, call and talk to the watch commander of the department in question. Explain the entire situation to him and tell him that you don't want any welfare checks in the future. I believe you said you don't want to file a complaint about this issue. This is not necessarily the same as filing a complaint. It's just a tool to let the brass of the department know that you don't want welfare checks from these people.

Sometimes it's possible to flag an address with a notation and dispatch will know that you don't want a welfare check.

Also, I'd suggest posting something in a visible area in the inside of a window facing out advising police that everything is fine and you don't need a welfare check. If it's inside your house the guy calling in the welfare check can't remove it before the police get there. I know it seems like something you shouldn't have to do in your own home to get some peace and quiet....but it might work out to be a simple solution.

If he does call in another welfare check after all that and the police actually arrive, tell him he's trespassed from your property (in front of the officers) and that if he comes back you'll have him arrested.

I understand what you mean about not answering the door or the telephone. I do the same thing at home. I usually don't answer the door at my house either. And never the phone unless I recognize the name on caller ID and sometimes not even then if I want to be alone.

Good luck!!!

Leave a comment:

• ar15shrty
    replied
    Here's an idea....try a peep hole in your door.

Leave a comment:

• hemicop
    replied
    Core, I hate to tell you, but welcome to the 21st century. Check welfare calls are all too common here. I SWEAR we have the nosiest population in the U.S. here! Many people for various reasons call in " check welfare" calls & (here) they can't be cancelled due to liabilty issues. I suspect the same is true where you are. You could try, as was suggested, notifying the local police or Sheriff's Dept. of your wishes but I doubt it would do any good. You see IF something was wrong & you were sick/injured/dead & the PD did nothing, despite your instructions your survivors (family girlfriend, whatever) could sue the Agency & in all probability win. It's happened here several times which is exactly why we don't cancel those types of calls. I agree, you're entitled to privacy & people should mind their own business but somewhere along the line people have decided to play "Big Brother" and call in on anything they think simply seems different.

Leave a comment:

• core
    replied
    yessemi:

Yeah, I guess if I read all that as a 3rd party I'd think the same thing. No, nothing illegal is going on here and he wasn't some person off the street. I didn't mean to imply that.

This is gonna be long, but I want to clear up any further misunderstandings.

With him, the "full story" is as follows: He was introduced to me 2 years ago by a mutal friend.

[Break: the window incident happened about a week after this introduction.]

I knew he was a loose cannon but tolerated him coming over to talk with me at the time because his father had just died, our mutual friend (his only friend) had moved away, and he stayed at home alone all day. He's former EMS, now supposedly disabled and collecting social security. Because of his back pain related disability he is constantly on legit prescription medication. Each time he has come over he has either passed out mid sentence talking to me, or in his vehicle in my driveway. The local PD knows his name and face VERY well and has had to check on him passed out in a parking lot on more than one occasion. (He was parked in the lot to use the free wireless internet that is avail in our business district here.)

So yeah, I felt sorry for the guy, I really did. I thought the least I could do was let him use my internet connection to settle his personal bill-paying matters if I wasn't using my machine at the time.

Was just trying to do what I'd do for any other person. And again AT THE TIME of the window incident we had only barely been introduced.

About the issue of the computer equipment: Nothing was actually damaged. More on that in a second. Him walking in uninvited was also not an issue whatsoever. 2 years ago when I met him I did not have a female living with me so it was common for me to leave my doors unlocked. My good friends (total of 3) were allowed to just walk in. Since that mutual friend of ours was with him the first few times and did it I don't fault him for thinking he could too. No, I never asked him not to. But again I don't fault him for it anyway. When the girlfriend moved in I did start locking the doors for a few obvious reasons.

Last week's incident with the computer equipment was simply: He let himself in while I was working. He asked to use my phone and called his bank or whatever. Asked for a pen and paper to write something down, which I then offered him. Then he got irritated with likely the fast pace of the recorded info on the phone and told me to just write it down for him. I said "John, I'm trying to get some work done here." At which point he became furious and bumped my equipment around. He was told to leave and I had the cops advise him before he was able to leave the driveway. I'd just reached my limit.

But again, the window incident occurred when he had only known of me for a week.

Onto the second welfare check! [Told you this was gonna be long, but I'm not leaving anything unsaid just so at least half of the full story is told.]

This one was to check on my girlfriend. A female friend of hers (former neighbor) had knocked on my door earlier in the day while my girlfriend was at work. I didn't know who she was so I didn't open the door. Later that night the cops showed up. I had learned my lesson from the first time so I did answer it. My girlfriend was very surprised to hear the name of the RP because as she put it she "doesn't know this person THAT well".

Third occurrence, now that I think about it, wasn't a welfare check at all but probably would have turned into one:

My girlfriend has two children which are in the custody of their father. Apparently the father does not have the necessary IQ to accompany his daughter to the hospital when they are extremely ill. In this case the child seemed to have a definite medical problem -- so since the father was unwilling to do it his sister took it upon herself to drive the child to my property and THEN call for EMS. The goal here was of course to coerce the mother into taking the ride and signing the papers. Which is exactly what happened, under threat of arrest. Hell, it nearly turned to blows out there between all parties. I stayed inside and out of the way during the whole incident. Had she and I been in other areas of the house doing other things we might not have noticed the commotion.

What does a man and woman have to to in order to be left alone in the United States? I'm a die-hard Republican. All I want to do is live my own life without interference. Is that so much to ask?

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    You are very welcome. Hope things work out.

You know what bugs me is the welfare check call..that goes something like this: so and so wants you (me) to check on the elderly neighbor, newspapers have been piling up on the driveway, mail is overflowing inside the mailbox, car is in the driveway, flies on the inside of the window, a smell coming from the home...AND THEY HAVEN'T BEEN SEEN IN A MONTH!!!

HELLO CLUE PHONE IS FOR YOU!!! As I drive to the address, I say, (under my breath) well if you were THAT concerned..WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL EARLIER!!!!! 9 times out of 10....they are dead.

And while you wait for the Coroner to arrive...you look at the family photos or driver license and say,"That's what he/she looked like!" Couldn't even tell if they were white or black....and the kicker is, it's Monday and you have a nice clean uniform on, that now has to be burned.

9-1-1 misdials happen at all times of the day, especially during the rain. So if one is generated from your home at 4am, you bet, two of us will be knocking at your door.

For the coo coo guy, a mere,"I'm really busy and I don't have time to talk." is a sincere polite way of getting him to leave....or a restraining order.

Get an unlisted phone number or on the do not call list.

You can't pick your family but you can pick your neighbors.

Leave a comment:

• j706
    replied
    What if I had something illegal in my house at the time they broke in? Fortunately I'm not a drug user. Who needs a search warrant when you can just have a random civilian call in a wellfare check?

If contraband would have been found you more than likely would have been charged and rightfully so.

Leave a comment:

• yessemi
    replied
    Something doesn't sound right to me...not with LE's actions, but with the whole story. Let me share a thought.....Some guy, who you didn't want in your house, walked in uninvited, stayed around for a while, then eventually damaged your computer? I may be missing something here, but to me that sounds like burglary. Did you tell the guy to leave or call law enforcement to have him removed once he entered? If not, why?....If you didn't, then according to your actions, or lack thereof, he was allowed to stay. If he stayed, once the computer was damaged, did you call law enforcement to report the damage??

Once again, something doesn't jive with me. If I'm missing something here that makes perfect sense to anyone else, please enlighten me!

PS.

For some reason I think drugs are involved. Not dealing them, but a place for these unwanted people to go in exchange for something...if you catch my drift. Not saying it's actually occurring, but just a thought. Core, I only know your side of the story. There might be more to it than what you're saying. Again, just a thought.
    Last edited by yessemi; 05-11-2007, 12:54 AM. Reason: another thought

Leave a comment:

• SgtScott31
    replied
    I find it hard to believe that random people who either barely know you or don't know you at all are taking time out of their lives to make it a point to call the police to have a welfare check conducted at your residence. Once I could possibly understand, but multiple times would lead the local law enforcement agency to investigate the actual person reporting the issue.

Leave a comment:

• core
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions X2; I will try them. And yes there may be a day when I need assistance, and _I_ will call for it, or my live-in girlfriend will. If I am unable to call then it will make no difference if a welfare check happens to be made when someone comes by say 2 weeks after the accident, death, etc.

SgtScott: Not even sure where to begin with that response. I'd love to see how friendly and responsive you'd be when these folks came to your house at 4am.

And I frankly don't care what random people feel the need to mettle in my business. The people in question are _not_ "friends". In fact just last week the guy from this incident was advised of criminal trespass. During the 2 years since the window incident I politely tried everything I could. Finally there was just no other way. I had forgotten to lock the door, he let himself in, annoyed me for over an hour with his prescription drug induced babble, and eventually got out of control and slammed my computer equipment around when I explained that I needed to resume my work.

This is the kind of people whose actions you are defending.

I'm a computer programmer and work from home. I cannot afford to be interrupted throughout the day. I feel it's better all-around to simply not answer the door rather than telling them to go away and slamming the door. (Politely explaining that I'm working does not work with these people.) Is wanting to be left alone to get work done selfish? Maybe.

Obviously I should have been more careful of who I politely let talk my ear off when I first moved here. Little late for that now.

Back to the original topic: I find it very sad that:

1. Someone can pick your name out of a phone book and have you roused by the cops at 4am. They don't even have to be in the same state! Here's an idea for the troublemakers: Pick a city that has a live scanner feed on the internet. Call in a welfare check and listen to the fun!

2. Your neighbor who is upset about a fence placement issue can wait for you to visit your mother out of town. Then call and have the window legally busted out whilst you aren't even home.

Leave a comment:

• SgtScott31
    replied
    Here's an idea, answer the door. I mean, honestly, what is so hard or bothersome about answering your door so that those who care about you know you are ok. Sounds selfish to me.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Welfare Check.

What the previous poster said X2. In your situation, the cops were acting in good faith.

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    Apparently Mr Hermit, someone does care about you!

We as public servants must preform tasks such as welfare checks when a concerned citizen notifies us. Such circumstances may include breaking a window to ascertain your well being. Many times people have fallen and lay on the floor for days before help arrives....some even die.

What are some suggestions YOU can do to stop the welfare checks?
    a) Maybe nothing depending on the depts policy. Some 9-1-1 calls, cannot be "cleared" until contact is made or a determination is made that there IS no problem.

b) advise your acquaintances to not call the police on your behalf.

c) notify the local pd of your status re: welfare checks. Depending on the computer system used, previous events can be accessed. The dispatchers can type in information such as : Mr so and so requests no response to his residence re: welfare checks.

d) and lastly, if the beat officer knows you and your status, he can ask the w/c to disregard the call. Verifying that is what you requested on prior calls.

Just remember, there might be a day when you NEED assistance and no one comes!

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• core
    started a topic Welfare check = Broken window

Welfare check = Broken window

In short, this welfare check stuff going on in my town is nonsense in my opinion and I would like to know how to legally have it stopped (for my property). I'm not interested in filing formal complaints if I don't have to, causing trouble, nor trying to recover damage$ for the window (see below); just want it stopped.

First time was when an acquantance of mine knocked on my door. REPEATEDLY. I can't stand the guy and he's borderline 10-96 -- just didn't feel like dealing with him that day. After about 20 minutes of this he decided to call the police, since he "didn't know if I was diabetic or something". They came and knocked; I didn't know it was them at the time because I figured it was just Mr. Crazy once again. Next thing I know my window is shattered, by the police who were trying to gain forcible entry.

Since then two other occurrences have taken place at my address, fortunately without damage... or worse. One was called in by a distant friend of my girlfriend's, other one I don't even remember. In all cases these were mere aquaintances, not family. These people could have been crooks for all the calltaker knew.

The forcible entry thing is WAY out of line in my opinion. But I have deeper concerns about all this. First of all I am under NO obligation to open the door for anyone, or even CHECK to see who it is that is knocking. I have a right not to be bothered. When I did anwer and cleared everything with the cops, guess what they did? Yep, go right back to the R.P. and tell them that I was ok and was at home. I have a right to privacy and don't believe anyone under the sun who calls in should be notified of where I am or whether I even still live here.

I want this stopped. What are my options?

Having to answer the door to everyone is not acceptable. Having random people being able to _use_ the police in order to contact me is also unacceptable.

What if I had something illegal in my house at the time they broke in? Fortunately I'm not a drug user. Who needs a search warrant when you can just have a random civilian call in a wellfare check?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4475 users online. 286 members and 4189 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X